Jazz: Currently Spinning

1 minute ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Wesseltoft/Schwarz/Berglund - Trialogue.

images (18).jpeg

Just been listening to Tomorrow Land on PBS

https://pbsfm.org.au/node/76846

interesting remix from Joe Clausell

T.P.O. | Hiroshi's Dub (Bonus Groove) - remix by Joe Claussell |

so, just who is this Joe Claussell? Apparently he's in town

https://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/joeclaussell

https://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/joeclaussell/biography

< As a musician, Joe has toured with the likes of the world-renowned percussionist Mino Cinelu and currently playing along side of the mind blowing pianist/keyboard extraordinaire Bugge Wesseltoft in a band that includes Erik Truffaz, Ilhan Ersahin, Med Band and Torun Erikse. >

• Like 1

A friend found these for me today, knowing what a Miles Davis tragic I am. I didn't have the Carnegie Hall concert before and yes, legendary indeed!

The Miles Davis Quintet,‎ Relaxin' With The Miles Davis Quintet. Original Jazz Classics ‎– OJCCD-190-2, CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered, US .1987.

R-3071855-1332683000.jpeg.jpg

Miles Davis,  Live Miles: More Music From The Legendary Carnegie Hall Concert. Columbia ‎ CK 40609 Columbia Jazz Masterpieces, CD, Album, Remastered Canada 1987.

R-2249520-1272297002.jpeg.jpg

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 3

Guest Misterioso

36 years later: Sam Rivers on Rivbea

Capture.JPG.5c416a951f5e41ed5f7dd8c63cc83728.JPG

For those who don't know the story behind the Rivbea Orchestra: Sam Rivers chose Florida for his retirement (from New York and its loft scene, in which he and his wife Bea were major figures). Why Florida? Because Florida had plenty of highly skilled musicians who worked at Disneyland during day time and were eager to play with Sam's Rivbea Orchestra in the night. Sam wrote extensively for this orchestra but left plenty of room for inspired solos. A few recordings are available from this late period of Sam Rivers. The three CDs in the Mosaic Select series and this one on his own Rivbea label. I think this one is the best. Highly recommended. 

In between housework, homework and a family bushwalk this afternoon. Life is full. I will get around burning some CDs soon guys, soon :whistle:

Sun Ra - Of Abstract Dreams

LP on Strut/Art Yard

The two labels got together to release this previously unreleased radio session from 74 or 75. Fabulous teamwork guys. "I'll Wait for You" is such a great song, I find my self whistling the tune to the kids and I sense their response to the call... a natural phenomenon :heart:

105174-of-abstract-dreams.jpg

Louis Armstrong and His All-Stars - Satch Plays Fats

Australian mono LP on Coronet. Fantastic upbeat music, includes some classy vocal duets with Pops and Velma Middleton

R-4204851-1358501068-8954.jpeg.jpg

Angles 9 - Disappeared Behind the Sun

LP on Cleanfeed

More in the swinging vein. Heavy swingin shizzle. So chunky you can carve it...... Such a great ensemble.

71813-disappeared-behind-the-sun.jpg

• Like 4

Guest Misterioso

AP 45rpm reissue

PhotoPictureResizer_180624_194851463-600x600.jpg.a5703c9d911aaca755f665054f3ac12f.jpg

And I always thought the CD sounds amazing... 

Edited by Misterioso

Guest Misterioso

More Ben Webster on Jimmy Witherspoon's Roots

PhotoPictureResizer_180624_202830671-600x600.jpg.f75a92bf163bb8d027348aeeadd4356d.jpg

This one also features Gerald Wilson on trumpet. Just learned from Horace Tapscott's autobiography that Wilson was an early supporter of young Horace. He even paid his registration with the musicians' union.

Edited by Misterioso

3 hours ago, Plattenspieler said:

This one also features Gerald Wilson on trumpet. Just learned from Horace Tapscott's autobiography that Wilson was an early supporter of young Horace. He even paid his registration with the musicians' union.

and his son Anthony is no mean guitarist,both in his own right and backing ms Krall...

cheers

mick

• Like 1

Finally had a  chance to listen to some albums I picked up last year. I bought this compilation because it had some New York Contemporary 5 and some Paul Bley tracks, but the revelation for me was Cleve (Robert) Pozar. I'd never heard of Pozar but he is a percussionist who worked with Bill Dixon & Dolphy etc. One tune that absolutely knocked me sideways was a lovely Jimmy Garrison tune called Sweet Little Maia. Pozar doesn't play on this but the combination of Garrison on bass & Kathy Norris on cello is a beautiful thing. It's off a Savoy album called ' Good Golly Miss Nancy (Savoy, 1967) '.

Robert Pozar Sweet Little Maia

Bass, Composed By – Jimmy Garrison

Cello – Kathy Norris

Producer – Bill Dixon

image.png.b1c7b6f8c372d3675546547c49a42650.png

• Like 4

re release at Northside Records Gertrude St Fitzroy

http://www.northsiderecords.com.au/

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-nineteenth-whole-mn0000919543

< Indianapolis soul-jazz trio Nineteenth Whole first played together as backup musicians for jazz guitar great Grant Green, forming their own group to record the 1972 Smilin' album on Eastbound Records. Vibist/singer Billy Wooten, organist/singer Emanuel Riggins, and drummer "Mad" Harold Cardwell were joined by a few sessionmen for the LP, including noted guitarist Cornell Dupree, who took all the guitar solos. The record was solid early-'70s soul-jazz in which the musicians sounded more comfortable with the soul idiom than many did on releases given a soul-jazz tag, offering five mostly instrumental, lengthy pieces with funky grooves and some sparkling organ-vibes-guitar interaction. The group also recorded a live album, featuring Wooten, under the name Wooden Glass. >

The Nineteenth Whole: Smilin'

• Like 1