Jazz: Currently Spinning

I never really know which string to post to, but maybe this is more appropriate. You guys might appreciate this more. 

I bought this album secondhand (blind buy) and I am impressed. 

Kay Starr  -  Movin'!  - released 1959 by capital records. 

She's Jazz n Blues, bit of swing in there. I think she is a female version of Elvis Presley on some songs, a real talent .

IMG_1260.JPG

Edited by Awiseman
add album pic
  • Like 2

On 22/05/2018 at 6:37 PM, Dave O))) said:

Amazon.com.au was the cheapest I could find at ~$45AUD inc shipping. It was posted from Rarewaves in the UK.

This is the cheapest ebay seller (with postage). Use the code MAGIC10 until 31/5/18 and with 10% off it's almost the same price. I did!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tony-Allen-The-Source-Vinyl-LP-2-Blue-Note-NEW/162969286338?epid=239062324&hash=item25f1b9f6c2:g:36MAAOSwMk1au6Ug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, t_mike said:

This is the cheapest ebay seller (with postage). Use the code MAGIC10 until 31/5/18 and with 10% off it's almost the same price. I did!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tony-Allen-The-Source-Vinyl-LP-2-Blue-Note-NEW/162969286338?epid=239062324&hash=item25f1b9f6c2:g:36MAAOSwMk1au6Ug

I am cranking it now :na:

Love the bass playing on this. Understated and on point. Just like Allen's drumming.

Edited by Dave O)))
  • Like 4

Guest Misterioso

Two great voices tonight: Leon Thomas on Pharoah Sanders' "Karma" and Dwight Trible on "Horace", the first

album released under his own name (he used to work with the great Horace Tapscott a few decades earlier).PhotoPictureResizer_180525_212030671-800x450.jpg.59cd8441016872d0180790718e9dddfb.jpg

Edited by Misterioso

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:39 PM, t_mike said:

It appears not all of these are Optimal. Some are Canadian, and here's one from the US.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F182809028199

It pays to be vigilant and ask questions.

I'll definitely hunt down a German pressing.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B073CBPYJ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered mine from Amazon.de

• Like 2

Walt Dickerson and Sun Ra - Visions
Original (only) 1979 pressing on Steeplechase. An extended digital version is obtainable from bandcamp.

First I had heard any of Dickerson, it got me hooked from the start. Such dynamic interplay, I wish Sunny had tecorded more duos and small ensembles. He was a GREAT pianist and improviser. BTW all tunes on this are by Dickerson, and the music is just timeless.

9f7576e39d76aaa7badc763360da9e61.jpg
532287ca133c1f77ee01b97cde02cfd9.jpg

• Like 3

Inspired by @t_mike,  I thought I'd play my only Wynton Kelly record. The album is also known as Whisper Not.

Japanese mono repress from 1984.

Kenny plays with Burrell and Chambers on side 1 of record, and side 2 is Kelly, Chambers and Joe Jones.

20180528_131556.jpg

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 3

Now playing something totally different than the last album played. Haven't spun this one for a while.

Okyung Lee/Bill Orcutt: Live At Cafe Oto.

Too hard to take a picture of this LP cover, so grabbed one from the web. I have many CD's that feature cellist Okkyung Lee, but this is the only vinyl I own featuring her. Here she plays with guitarist Bill Orcutt.

At times it's an all out sonic assault......but in a great way. :)

Only released on vinyl, with 500 copies pressed. It's more than likely digitally recorded, but wow... it's a superb sounding record.

http://www.freejazzblog.org/2016/09/okkyung-lee-bill-orcutt-live-at-cafe.html

lp-front_page_image.png

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 3

Just realized I own 70 releases on CD (and one vinyl LP) of work by the magnificent Satoko Fujii. Only topped by my Miles Davis collection.

This is the 3rd (and final) release with her Ma-Do quartet as bassist Norikatsu Koreyasu passed away not long after this was recorded back in 2011.

Satoko has played in many quartet settings, and this is my favourite.  Best described as an intimate acoustic quartet, with a vast dynamic range.

The focus is more on Fujii's written music and less on improvisation.

Just quite brilliant IMO. Just checked, you can hear it on Tidal too.

And despite her regular changes in bands and line ups, her music is usually easy to identify: structured, rhythmatically challenging, thundering, powerful, wild and sensitive with touches of sentimentality and aesthetic beauty.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/time-stands-still-satoko-fujii-libra-records-review-by-dan-mcclenaghan.php

MI0003545739.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

mado.jpg?resize=510,387

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 3

Satoko Fujii Quartet: Angelona

I adore this album, the following mini reviews gives an indication of what one could expect:

“There’s enough energy on this CD to power a small town – as you’d rightly expect of musicians of such world-class stature. Husband and wife team Tamura and Fujii are key figures in the Japanese avant-garde, while bassist Hayakawa has played with John Zorn, and drummer Yoshida is an erstwhile Derek Bailey collaborator better known as one half on thrash-prog duo Ruins. Together, they whip up a dense, fiery brew of free-jazz and freak-rock that sounds like the missing link between Cecil Taylor and Frank Zappa. ― Daniel Spicer, Jazzwise

“This album is f***ing wild.  Part free jazz a la Zorn, part experimental rock, Satoko's improvisatory collection is wonderfully chaotic, percussive and dissonant. That is, when she isn't laying down dark and delicate harmonies, like in the opening to "collage - in the night," a composition that streams off her kinetic piano melodies and builds with flowing, Maria Schneider-esque grandeur. Whether she's furiously smacking the piano around or gently caressing harmonies out of it, Satoko uses the full tonal and dynamic range of the instrument, and it's an exhilarating thing to hear. Named for the ancient goddess of secrecy, Angelona indeed feels mythical, as well as raw, transcendent, and wonderful.” ― Michael Gallant, Keyboard Magazine

s-l500.jpg

I only wish more jazz heads here were into her music as much as I am. :)

• Like 2

Just realized I own 70 releases on CD (and one vinyl LP) of work by the magnificent Satoko Fujii. Only topped by my Miles Davis collection.

This is the 3rd (and final) release with her Ma-Do quartet as bassist Norikatsu Koreyasu passed away not long after this was recorded back in 2011.
Satoko has played in many quartet settings, and this is my favourite.  Best described as an intimate acoustic quartet, with a vast dynamic range.
The focus is more on Fujii's written music and less on improvisation.
Just quite brilliant IMO. Just checked, you can hear it on Tidal too.

And despite her regular changes in bands and line ups, her music is usually easy to identify: structured, rhythmatically challenging, thundering, powerful, wild and sensitive with touches of sentimentality and aesthetic beauty.

Great post Chris. Clearly an artist who deserves more attention
  • Like 3

Curtis Fuller on a Music Matters recording. Very easy to listen to especially with Paul Chambers on bass. Art Taylor backs it all up with some entertaining drumming. Highly recommended. 

08A0E4FE-CD2D-4202-A9BC-A5D16E0EDCCB.jpeg

• Like 4