Jazz: Currently Spinning

Hi

Carmen McCrae must be one of the most elegant and hip (sorry I can't think of another word to sum up musical, articulate, tuneful, inventive, jazz aware, having voice with character) vocalists ever. I'll have to look this one out.

I also tried the Jacintha samples - I'll have to look her CDs out too.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

I wasn't actually looking for it today but saw it, an SACD for $14.99 so I picked it up. It is quite good, and includes an interpretation of Billy Joel's New York State of Mind.

Jeff

Tonight I've been listening to....

Eden Atwood - This is Always

Marc Moulin - i am you

JC - Blue Train (currently spinning)

All very different styles. Not sure which one I preferred the most. I kinda like the up tempo of Blue Train. I am you, is abit funky here and there. This is Always, was a nice gentle start to proceedings. :(

It's just clicked that the CD is a live performance (Montreux, 22/7/82). It has My Funny Valentine, which is one of my favourites. Doesn't say who the backing musicians are bit they sound good.

You can hear the "behind the beat" style that she used and also occasionally a growl when she sings. Different from Ella to my ears who is always smooth (sometimes painfully so). (I saw Ella in concert and her timing and expression were fantastic, but boy are there some mediocre recordings of her around.) The growl may have been assisted by her smoking, which led to severe illness in her later years, and argubly killed her.

How lucky we are to have the class of the McCrae's, Fitzgerald, Vaughan etc to enjoy on recordings. Apart from a few standouts like Sinatra and Bennett, I reckon female singers rule the roost especially in Jazz.

Jeff

• Like 1

No, Jeff. Wish I could say that I had. I had a couple of her records once upon a time but traded them along with some other gems for lifetime free admission to a club in San Francisco that's no longer there. Of course, neither am I. Before we parted company I saw Sun Ra and Miles Davis there in his electric period. And the house band was the John Handy Quintet, the one that recorded at Monterey. They made my hair stand up on end many nights (I lived just around the corner). Cheers.

Hi

I recently bought the Properbox 4 CD set of Charlie Parker Boss Bird Studio recordings 1944-51 (ex Savoy, Dial and Verve) - some great music and solos on them - but a bit limited because most of his Dizzy G collaborations are on the DG box set and not repeated here. Still there's some Dizzy Gillespie tracks, some interesting early Miles Davis, Bud Powell, Barney Kessel, Wardell Gray, Max Roach, Milt Jackson, Shelly Manne et al. on them. It makes for an interesting comparison with the 'Bird' soundtrack from the Clint Eastwood movie, where they extracted original CP solos and recorded them with a modern backing - his tone sounds quite different but the legato runs are just as great as ever.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

Hi

I recently bought the Properbox 4 CD set of Charlie Parker Boss Bird Studio recordings 1944-51 (ex Savoy, Dial and Verve) - some great music and solos on them - but a bit limited because most of his Dizzy G collaborations are on the DG box set and not repeated here. Still there's some Dizzy Gillespie tracks, some interesting early Miles Davis, Bud Powell, Barney Kessel, Wardell Gray, Max Roach, Milt Jackson, Shelly Manne et al. on them. It makes for an interesting comparison with the 'Bird' soundtrack from the Clint Eastwood movie, where they extracted original CP solos and recorded them with a modern backing - his tone sounds quite different but the legato runs are just as great as ever.

Cheers

Mick

I've bought a couple of the Properbox sets including Boss Bird and while I thought the performances were good I was disappointed with the recording quality.

I haven't listened to them since I upgraded my equipment so I should give them another try.

Great memories, Jim.

I heard a story on the radio some months ago. I can't remember who told it. But they went to a Blossom Dearie concert. The bought tickets from an aging woman at the box office and went in. As the show started the woman in the box office walked on stage and started performing. It was Blossom Dearie selling the tickets to her own show.

I like Stephane Grapelli. I recently bought a music DVD of him performing at Montreux. He just plays song after song seated, improvising and smiling away and moving around to the music. None of the angst we associate with many of the finest jazz performers, just obvious love of performing and good humour.

Jeff

Hi raptor

yes the recording quality isn't up to much, but then nothing very much of Bird's work was ever very well recorded, which is why they had to go to so much trouble with the Bird movie soundtrack - I did notice that JBs has a remastered Verve CD with Bird and Diz with no duplication of tracks from the Boss Bird set, maybe I'll give that a try.

One certainly doesn't get this stuff to use as SQ reference material. As Dave Marsh said about a US Bonds record - Quarter to three - "I've played it on stereo systems ranging in price from $49.95 to $10000 and it makes no difference....One band, one noise".

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

Hi

I've been listening to a bit of Grant Green as well lately - I really like Idle moments (the track) and his version of So what - nicely constructed solos that I've played to some non-jazz listener friends to let them hear how solos are related to the melody & underlying chords.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

Fellas. it's so great for me to be in present company. Carmen McRae sat behind me one night at The Jazz Workshop in SF encouraging Cannonball Adderley on stage. She was appearing across the street at a club called Sugar Hill. She recorded there on an album by the same name ("Live at Sugar Hill") that was re-released not long ago on an import CD but thus far I've had no luck in obtaining a copy. The one review on Amazon it got said the sound quality was very good. I owned it years ago and highly recommend it.

Recommend "The Cannonball Adderley Quintet In San Francisco", too, recorded at the Workshop. A lively jubilant affair with super clean sound on Riverside 20bit K2.

Do carry on. Back later.

Did that quintet have brother Nat on trumpet and Joe Zawinul on keyboards, Jim? I caught Cannonball in Vancouver, must have been in '68 or '69 with that lineup. One of the better jazz gigs I've been to.

Also, there was an after hours club in London (England) in the early 1970s where the musicians who played Ronnie Scott's used to go after their gigs. Can't remember the name of it but it didn't really get going till after midnight. Some of the best jams I've ever seen/heard took place there.

Recommend "The Cannonball Adderley Quintet In San Francisco", too, recorded at the Workshop. A lively jubilant affair with super clean sound on Riverside 20bit K2. .

I've got The Cannonball Adderley Quintet in Chicago with John Coltrane which I like a lot so I'll look out for that one.

Almost, Brumby. JZ joined later. Bobby Timmons was on that date. JZ shines on "jive samba" from a later album recorded live in New York, I think. Saw the band again at the Workshop with JZ and Yusef Lateef who expanded the band to a sextet. What a band that was! Love Grant Green's Matador with Coltrane's rhythm section, too.

Hi Jim

You lucky bugger! icon10.gif I've got both the CA sextet records on vinyl - w Yusef Lateef and JZ - I like the NY one better. It must have been great to have seen them live - Next you'll be telling us it was you yelling in the background on the Mercy mercy mercy live recording icon6.gif!!

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

Naw, Mick, weren't me but I do have a story bout Yusef in SF. I was sitting next to a couple of brothers one night I remember and they got all excited because Yusef was wearing white sox. Now, in those days, a self respecting brother wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of white sox. I think he was putting on convention, myself. And good for him. There may have been another reason, of course, but I sorta like my version. I didn't tell the brothers that, tho.

Hi

Got a new CD (well 2005 recording) of Bill Charlap playing Gershwin - piano trio + horns, excellent sound quality (Blue Note, one of their 'copy protected' ones). The horns are Frank Wess tnr sax, Phil Woods alto, Slide Hampton, tbne and Nicholas Payton tpt. It all gels very well and it's great to hear such legends still playing so well.

Also picked up some cheap reissues - Coltrane's traneing in with Red Garland, Coleman Hawkins (5 stars freom downbeat) and Wes - so much guitar - some brilliant soloing on twisted blues.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1