9.30pm The Java Quartet plus Bobby Singh

2014 is the Java Quartet’s eighteenth year of creating a unique ensemble sound through breathing life into the modal structures written (mostly) by bandleader and bassist Michael Galeazzi. As a lead up to the release of their seventh disc, "Togetherâ€, later this year, this gig will be mostly new material from the album. Featuring regular guest artist, the impossibly amazing Bobby Singh on tabla, the group are humbled (and pumped) to still be a part of the innovative Jazzgroove program.

Matthew Ottignon (sax)

Greg Coffin (piano)

Mike Quigley (drums)

Michael Galeazzi (bass)

Bobby Singh (tabla)

these guys were fantastic and well worth keeping an eye / ear out for when they next do their thing, damn good

and pretty good sound in that joint sitting in the sweet spot.

No photos of the night thou

More info;

these guys a have few music videos, recorded and Mixed by Keith Walker (very well done too I will add)

http://www.javaquartet.com.au/ or Link straight to one of the videos

(The Hill Song - Java Quartet in session)

• Like 3

Tonight;

CHANTAE CANN

"Innersoul LIVE is proud to present on Wednesday April 23rd, for the sixth installment of the series, a very special guest; Atlanta, Georgia-based singer Chantae Cann!
Soul music lovers will recognise Chantae’s distinctive dulcet tones from her work with the GRAMMY Award nominated The Foreign Exchange as well as her feature on recent GRAMMY Award winners, Snarky Puppy’s latest album, Family Dinner Vol.1.
Chantae is in Australia touring for Byron Bay Bluesfest and it’s sideshows with GRAMMY nominated soul artist, India.Arie. Chantae will be blessing the Innersoul LIVE stage with an intimate acoustic set"

MICHAEL DUCHESNE

"From Sydney, Australia - Michael Duchesne is a singer, multi-instrumentalist & a fine song-writer.
A promising artist & performer who has honed his craft to a fine edge, performing at some of Sydney’s top live venues alongside some of Australia’s finest musicians and artists. Duchesne (pronounced ‘Du-Shane’) frequents venues along Australia's east coast & now works closely with American musician extraordinaire, Lionel Cole.
"

more info - http://playbar.com.au/project/inner-soul-6-live-soul-music-wednesday-23-04-2014/

10153116_278765775632495_542970482725862

CHANTAE CANN

Innersoul LIVE is proud to present on Wednesday April 23rd, for the sixth installment of the series, a very special guest; Atlanta, Georgia-based singer Chantae Cann!

Soul music lovers will recognise Chantae’s distinctive dulcet tones from her work with the GRAMMY Award nominated The Foreign Exchange as well as her feature on recent GRAMMY Award winners, Snarky Puppy’s latest album, Family Dinner Vol.1.

Now this was a great night out in a classy venue full of music appreciating people.

A few photos;

Kristie Nicolas interviewing Chantae Cann on video

Play+Bar+Sydney+-+Innersoul+Live+Chantae

Michael Duchesne

at least one other SNA dude enjoying the show during Chantae Cann performance

• Like 2

Wednesday April 30th 2014 Sydney based artist Sarsha Simone headlines with a special acoustic performance, with support from newcomers, The Septembers.

WHAT: Generation Nu Soul pop-up event featuring Sarsha Simone & The Septembers

WHEN: 7pm, Wednesday 30th April 2014

WHERE: PLAY BAR, 72 Campbell Street, Surry Hills

COST: Free

More information;

http://kittenjam.com/2014/04/28/behind-the-front-kitten-jam-present-generationnusoul-featuring-sarsha-simone-the-septembers/

sarsha_simone_A3_websmall.jpg

alisterspencetrio2_large.jpg

Alister Spence Trio - Far Flung - 2LP - 2013

I was 'working from home' this afternoon. I've just knocked off and am already spinning vinyl. Beats listening to the iPod on the bus!

Looking forward to seeing these guys 'live' after work tomorrow night at Foundry616.

I have this on cd & have been ummming & urrring about the vinyl. They can get quite out there at times. Alistair is a gorgeous pianist, eh :). Enjoy the gig Leigh.

Hey, I'll be in the big smoke, at Fast Eddie's place this fri-sat nite. Any suggestions for a fun nite out?

• Like 1

The above was was copied from a post by @@mikey d in the jazz thread

this is the write up from Jazzgroove;

Alister Spence Trio

The Alister Spence Trio is without doubt one of the most captivating musical entities in this fair land. Spence, Swanton and Hall are returning to the JG stage to play some brand new music as well as material from 'Far Flung', which was listed in the Critic's Pick top jazz/impro releases worldwide (Jazz Journal, UK, Jan 2014).

‘The cutting edge of modern Australia defined’ SMH

Alister Spence (piano, samples)

Lloyd Swanton (double bass)

Toby Hall (drums, glockenspiel)

Jazzgroove have had top class performers this year so I'm very much looking forward to this !

• Like 4

this is the write up from Jazzgroove;

Alister Spence Trio

The Alister Spence Trio is without doubt one of the most captivating musical entities in this fair land. Spence, Swanton and Hall are returning to the JG stage to play some brand new music as well as material from 'Far Flung', which was listed in the Critic's Pick top jazz/impro releases worldwide (Jazz Journal, UK, Jan 2014).

‘The cutting edge of modern Australia defined’ SMH

Alister Spence (piano, samples)

Lloyd Swanton (double bass)

Toby Hall (drums, glockenspiel)

Jazzgroove have had top class performers this year so I'm very much looking forward to this !

Toby is such a nutter but so bloody musical behind the kit.

• Like 1

Toby is such a nutter but so bloody musical behind the kit.

He certainly was

There were a few SNA celebrities in attendance but I can't show you there pics

So a few of the world class Trio

Alister+Spence+Trio+at+Jazzgroove+29th+A

Album purchase being autographed

Edited by O.Sydney
  • Like 3

Very, very nice Orlando. Great to be able to see such quality music mid-week in Sydney.

So ok, I've got tonite & Saturday nite to sample some music in town. Can you point me in an interesting direction?

• Like 1

Thank you

Salmonella Dub at the Manning bar tonight could be considered "interesting"

Man, I love Salmonella Dub. That's where I'll be :)

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Man, I love Salmonella Dub. That's where I'll be :)

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk

I know some of the guys from the Noisey Chicken Crew, they put on pretty good parties. Givem a hug for me

the blurb says "Do not miss this live experience – Featuring the Salmonella Dub horn section & percussion" 

enjoy maan !

TONIGHT!! Tuesday, May 6th at Play Bar Surry Hills

Innersoul LIVE presents Tabitha Ojeah of Tabitha and The Clique and Josue Vilches!

a few photos from Tuesday nights great show, Tabitha had such great stage presence and was a real entertainer

Tabitha+Ojeah+-+InnersoulLive+at+Play+Ba

Fantastic pics Orlando. Do you lug a big SLR into the gigs?

thanks mate !

nope, I'm there for the music first up so I like to keep it low key with size and the less visual impact during the photography the less distracting for other peeps

I use a Fuji X-E1 with 16.3MP, APS-C, X-Trans CMOS Sensor, it does reasonably well in dim lighting situations :)

fujifilmxe-2.jpg

Nice!. I was sitting behind a guy at the Basement on Saturday nite, who was taking pics with his iPhone. Very distracting. I had to move. I don't blame him but it ruined the vibe for me.

Nice!. I was sitting behind a guy at the Basement on Saturday nite, who was taking pics with his iPhone. Very distracting. I had to move. I don't blame him but it ruined the vibe for me.

that bugs me too, all those screens lit up in a darkened environment is a no no (or it should be)

HAYDEN CALNIN – EP LAUNCH
8pm Friday May 9th, 2014

http://www.goodgodgoodgod.com/events/hayden-calnin-ep-launch/

https://soundcloud.com/haydencalnin

"Melbourne singer-songwriter Hayden Calnin released his debut EP ‘Oh, Hunter’ to unanimous praise earlier this year, and now he’s coming to Goodgod to launch it with a very special show.

He’s joined by the emotive and ethereal sounds of fellow Melbourne artist Eliza Hull. After igniting a strong musical connection, Calnin came on board to produce her debut EP The Ghosts You Never Catch, which is out now. Her debut album is expected later this year."

Hayden describes his music as electro-folk

13-05-09-Hayden-Calnin-400x566.jpg

Pyrmont Festival in Pirrama Park, Pyrmont

Saturday 17 May and Sunday 18 May from 11.00 to 17.00
Some highlights;

• photographic exhibitions and art displays
  • Mudgee wineries
  • Live music and local artists across both days
  • 50 stalls
  • ‘Sculpture Garden.’ 25 art pieces from nine Mudgee artists

large_2013PyrmontMudgeeFestival_0744.jpg

More information

http://whatson.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/events/22943-pyrmont-festival-in-pirrama-park-pyrmont