With Sydney receiving 8.3 million domestic overnight visitors and 2.8 million international visitors (year ending December 2012)

Together with a Metropolitan population for the Greater Sydney area of 4.6 million we've got a lot of main stream entertainment that's broadcast nationally.

But what is missed is the vibrant, enthusiastic raw talent we have under the surface of the general media, hence this thread to bring to the surface some of Sydney's best home grown, low cost and intimates shows you wouldn't normally hear about.

Feel free to add Events that are specific to Sydney - Music, Art, Culture

Regular Events;

Pretty Gritty - http://www.pretty-gritty.net/index.html

"a bimonthly home for ambient electronica and other poorly named genres that play with noise, shattered melodies and broken beats. A little bit sweet, and a little bit noisy, beats allowed but not compulsory"

Jazzgroove - http://jazzgrooveassociation.camp9.org/

"Tuesday nights, a not for profit organisation presenting high-quality original and improvised music from various jazz related cannons. Our focus is on musicians who are in the early stages of forming a national and international career. Jazzgroove's purpose is to nurture upcoming musicians by allowing a platform and performance opportunity to an established audience through our weekly Tuesday double bill events, marketing/ promotion support while also providing a dialogue and mentorship between past Jazzgroove performers and more experienced musicians"

Art Party - http://newtownartparty.blogspot.com.au/
"A monthly night of art, music, poetry, spoken word, jamming, magic, chai and love. This is a night, hosted by Jessie Ray, to spread the talent that keeps cropping up all over Sydney, and to give a voice to those beautiful, life-changing, creative people. Lovers of lyric and painters of prose. Those bubble-dancers, fire-twirlers, mime artists, beatboxers, breakdancers, singers of things and songwriters of others – all are welcome"

PLAY BAR Sydney - http://playbar.com.au/
Inner-Soul LIVE SOUL MUSIC Tuesdays (bi-weekly basis) (turntablism other nights of the week)
"Our aim is to take you way back to the sweet sound of soul, incorporating that with the funky sound of reggae and transitioning to the best beats of Rhythm and Blues"

Jazz in Sydney (Guide) http://www.jazzinsydney.com/gig-guide

With over 100 Jazz gigs in Sydney this month (April 2014)
"JazzinSydney.com has been around for about 2 years now and has risen from a small gig guide to the most comprehensive guide for live jazz music in Sydney."

Vivid Sydney - http://www.vividsydney.com/

"annual (winter) event of light, music and ideas,free public exhibition of outdoor lighting sculptures and installations, a cutting-edge contemporary music program and the spectacular illumination of Sydney’s iconic architecture including the sails of Sydney Opera House."

Biennale of Sydney - http://www.biennaleofsydney.com.au/

Every two years "is a non-profit organisation that presents Australia’s largest and most exciting contemporary visual arts festival. Held every two years, the Biennale is a three-month exhibition, with an accompanying program of artist talks, forums, guided tours and family days – all FREE to the public"

Updated: 28 April 2014

Edited by O.Sydney
  • Like 6

Sunday 30th March in Redfern

Food for your ears, your eyes and your imagination

"The first Pretty Gritty for 2014 celebrates the bang, the crash, the blow, the smack and the whack using real and virtual instruments. Steffan Ianigro creates an otherworldly carillon using a gas cylinder and processing; Jon Drummond lets the bleeps run free from his DIY kit creations; Alon Ilsar plays air drums with his interactive "sticks"; and Tina Havelock Stevens rocks an epic duet for drum kit and video."

5.45pm Steffan Ianigro
6.30 Jon Drummond
7.15pm Alon Ilsar with Julian Curwin (guitar)
8pm Tina Havelock Stevens

107 Projects
107 Redfern St, Redfern
Sydney
$10

more info http://www.pretty-gritty.net/march30.html

Really enjoyable evening at pretty gritty yesterday. Not only some interesting music but also some very interesting and innovative methods of making music. I loved the sound from the gas cylindrical, very haunting with the film clip.

Despite the challenging lighting conditions for photography I hope O Sydney captured some shots to post here.

Good to see 4 SNAers attend this one.

• Like 2

Good thread O.

Maybe we can have a sticky at the top of the thread with with music venues for visitors and locals to refer to? Maybe just the smaller ones like Pretty Gritty that music loving visitors to Australia's finest city might not get to hear about through mainstream promotion. I'm not suggesting another gig/touring thread but it would be a nice little resource for locals and visitors alike. Happy to help.

It might also be nice if SNAers visiting from elsewhere could put a shout-out on the thread for venue recommendations or to hook up with local SNA folk if they are out on the town. 

I might do an online search for some Jon Drummond footage who appeared last night at Pretty Gritty. I think the DIY guys on here would have enjoyed the tech, if not the music. That light sensor (torch) activated homemade synth was something else; I want one!

• Like 2

Really enjoyable evening at pretty gritty yesterday. Not only some interesting music but also some very interesting and innovative methods of making music. I loved the sound from the gas cylindrical, very haunting with the film clip.

Despite the challenging lighting conditions for photography I hope O Sydney captured some shots to post here.

Good to see 4 SNAers attend this one.

Great performances last night. The lighting was appropriate for the projections and music but not the easiest to photograph.

Good thread O.

Maybe we can have a sticky at the top of the thread with with music venues for visitors and locals to refer to? Maybe just the smaller ones like Pretty Gritty that music loving visitors to Australia's finest city might not get to hear about through mainstream promotion. I'm not suggesting another gig/touring thread but it would be a nice little resource for locals and visitors alike. Happy to help.

It might also be nice if SNAers visiting from elsewhere could put a shout-out on the thread for venue recommendations or to hook up with local SNA folk if they are out on the town. 

I might do an online search for some Jon Drummond footage who appeared last night at Pretty Gritty. I think the DIY guys on here would have enjoyed the tech, if not the music. That light sensor (torch) activated homemade synth was something else; I want one!

Good ideas Bell Ringer

These photos at ISO 6400 or 12800 (except the long exposure shots, up to 25 seconds)

A selection of photos;

Steffan Ianigro - The sound source of this work is a custom built bell made from an old high pressure gas cylinder. Live processing of samples combined with physical interaction with this instrument will create a sound world completely derived from the inherent properties of this bell. The work will expand the acoustic result of physical interaction into a digital realm, allowing the gradual construction of dense textures and layers

Gail+Preist+Presents+Pretty+Gritty+No.6%

Jon Drummond - Drones, textures, glitches and beased created with handmade electronics, low fi instruments, with copy left designs.

Alon Ilsar - using the AirSticks - a new interface for electronic percussionists to trigger sound simply through gestures in air

Tina Havelock Stevens - “White Drummer†Tina taps into the frequencies, the electromagnetic pulses of places and times and the inexplicable

Pretty Gritty #7 - June 22
  • Like 2

Anything new and different happening this weekend. I need a reason to come down to pick up some gear ;)

Saturday morning Oliver Tank playing at The Standard http://thethousands.com.au/sydney/calendar/wake-up-with-oliver-tank-supported-by-thief-presented-by-two-thousand

Saturday night Psy trance at the Manning bar

Sunday afternoon / evening Latin Soul, Djs and feat. WATUSSI (8 Piece Latin funk) http://soulofsydney.org/blockparty/

the blurb says "AFTERNOON FEEL-GOOD FUNK, DISCO, BOOGIE, AFRO LATIN, OLD SCHOOL PARTY VIBES & BEYOND"

• Like 2

This on the link to Oliver Tank show made me laugh

"Doors will be at 10:30am with free food and free coffee and free musical enjoyment. All free! Like your genitals on laundry day. Can not emphasise that enough."

• Like 1

For those who will be stuck in Sydney over the Easter period this could be of interest to you

"Sunday 20 April for a FREE party in a secret inner-city laneway"

I'll update when more information is available

• Like 1

a few SNAers at Nicolas Jaar & Dave Harrington (DARKSIDE) at The Hi-Fi SYDNEY AU (last night)

DSCF9774.JPG

DSCF9804.JPG

DSCF9795.JPG

Awesome gig from Darkside at the Hifi, which BTW has one of the cleanest sounds in Sydney though I did hear some distortion in the incredibly low bass last night, just on 2 occasions. They are in Melb now. Definitely worth catching, but it will be loud, deep, superb light show and comes with some amazing guitar from Harrington. If you think this is a Nick Jaar show and Harrington is just there for the ride, think again.

And O did you notice the audience not as friendly as last time we saw Nick Jaar. A few wankers there last night.

And I backed up tonight at the Sydney Opera House for the opening night of Manon by the Australian Ballet. Took my daughter who flew up from Adelaide to see this performance, as principal dancer Lucinda Dunn is retiring. Such a contrast to previous night of Darkside. Beautiful music, dance, rather raunchy and amusing at times but ultimately a tragedy. Followed by a lovely dinner at Chat Thai.

Unfortunately could not get to loop orchestra.

Edited by Viognier
  • Like 1

I'm listening to a band that sounds like Hendrix played at 11.11RPM instead of 33.3.

My ears hurt!strangely beguiling

Agincourt Hotel waiting for the Loop Orchestra to come on.

how was Loop O. ? I completely forgot they were on !

Awesome gig from Darkside at the Hifi, which BTW has one of the cleanest sounds in Sydney though I did hear some distortion in the incredibly low bass last night, just on 2 occasions. They are in Melb now. Definitely worth catching, but it will be loud, deep, superb light show and comes with some amazing guitar from Harrington. If you think this is a Nick Jaar show and Harrington is just there for the ride, think again.

And O did you notice the audience not as friendly as last time we saw Nick Jaar. A few wankers there last night.

And I backed up tonight at the Sydney Opera House for the opening night of Manon by the Australian Ballet. Took my daughter who flew up from Adelaide to see this performance, as principal dancer Lucinda Dunn is retiring. Such a contrast to previous night of Darkside. Beautiful music, dance, rather raunchy and amusing at times but ultimately a tragedy. Followed by a lovely dinner at Chat Thai.

Unfortunately could not get to loop orchestra.

Thinking back to their last year performance at the Sydney Town Hall (part of the Sydney Festival) the crowd was definitely more festive rather than, I'm going out to drink crazy amounts and be loud and obnoxious as some of the young crowd was. On the way out crush I said to the dude behind me to stop acting a like a ....

I agree about the sound quality, but have to ask why so loud ! earplugs saved me from the excessive volume.

One thing that was noted on the way out was how much echo there was in that venue, so the sound technicians controlled the system very well in that type of room.

Both Nic and Dave performed well, very enjoyable, those few guitar solos sounded so good. Cool lighting with that 2m+ circular mirror panel on a slow spin.

Great night out on a warmish Sydney night

Australian Ballet would have to be the pick of the week for live performances ?

Edited by O.Sydney

how was Loop O. ? I completely forgot they were on !

Very good.

3 turntables and a loop machine with video graphics. It was recorded (both video and sound) so when they are available I'll post some links.

A lot of people from the Scattered Order gig the week before were there backing up for the Loop guys.

• Like 1

Very good.

3 turntables and a loop machine with video graphics. It was recorded (both video and sound) so when they are available I'll post some links.

A lot of people from the Scattered Order gig the week before were there backing up for the Loop guys.

Do post those links, that gig would have been a treat

A gig at 10:30 am on a Saturday morning?

Is it a 'recovery'? An after party?

Some of you guys better set your alarm so you don't miss it!

No need to be alarmed :P

There's was a lot to like about this gig, the message was delivered well, the crowd was friendly and attentive to Oliver Tank (and support act) they looked like was really enjoying their performance.

"How to Drink Properly" initiative by drinkwise.org.au Presented by thethousands.com.au/sydney, at The Standard Sydney

Sharing a responsible drinking message to help people know their own limits and drink alcohol responsibly

Two Thousand is an online magazine for people who like new music, good reading, clothes, foods, drinks and adventures

www.facebook.com/drinkproperly

www.howtodrinkproperly.com

www.drinkwise.org.au

http://wearethestandard.com.au/%EF'>

There's an SNA dude down there

How+to+Drink+Properly+Initiative+by+drin

How+to+Drink+Properly+Initiative+by+drin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Total lunar eclipse 15 April 2014

There will be a total eclipse of the Moon on Tuesday 15 April 2014. For most of Australia the Moon will rise in the eastern sky already totally eclipsed just as the Sun is setting in the west. It should be really spectacular if the sky is clear – with the Moon appearing large and red.

Where to look
To see it, people need a clear view towards the eastern horizon – somewhere looking out over the ocean would be good. At the end of totality at 6.25pm, the Moon will be only 10 degrees (that is the width of a fist at arm’s length) above the horizon so from many suburban locations the view would be blocked by neighbouring houses or trees

If the weather conditions aren't conducive to watching a Luna eclipse, there's;

Jazzgroove from 8.00pm
Doig Trio
Having been most recently featured as the rhythm section that drives Doig's larger projects, this gig marks the return to the trio format for these close musical cohorts after a two-year hiatus. Expect a charging set of brand new Doig-riginals, with a fresh attitude invigorating their longstanding rapport.

Glenn Doig (electric piano)
Brendan Clark (electric bass)
Dave Goodman (drums)

9.30pm The Java Quartet plus Bobby Singh

2014 is the Java Quartet’s eighteenth year of creating a unique ensemble sound through breathing life into the modal structures written (mostly) by bandleader and bassist Michael Galeazzi. As a lead up to the release of their seventh disc, "Togetherâ€, later this year, this gig will be mostly new material from the album. Featuring regular guest artist, the impossibly amazing Bobby Singh on tabla, the group are humbled (and pumped) to still be a part of the innovative Jazzgroove program.

Matthew Ottignon (sax)
Greg Coffin (piano)
Mike Quigley (drums)
Michael Galeazzi (bass)
Bobby Singh (tabla)

• Like 2

9.30pm The Java Quartet plus Bobby Singh

2014 is the Java Quartet’s eighteenth year of creating a unique ensemble sound through breathing life into the modal structures written (mostly) by bandleader and bassist Michael Galeazzi. As a lead up to the release of their seventh disc, "Togetherâ€, later this year, this gig will be mostly new material from the album. Featuring regular guest artist, the impossibly amazing Bobby Singh on tabla, the group are humbled (and pumped) to still be a part of the innovative Jazzgroove program.

Matthew Ottignon (sax)

Greg Coffin (piano)

Mike Quigley (drums)

Michael Galeazzi (bass)

Bobby Singh (tabla)

these guys were fantastic and well worth keeping an eye / ear out for when they next do their thing, damn good

and pretty good sound in that joint sitting in the sweet spot.

No photos of the night thou

Tonight;

Record Store NIGHT Shenanigans

To cap off International Record Store Day - the whole The Record Store crew are hijacking the decks PLAY BAR (72 Campbell St Surry Hills)

To celebrate everything vinyl that contains beats and bass we invite you to come joins us for some beverages courtesy of #SydneyBrewery and #Bacardi....

Commandeering the Wheels of Steel are:

10177936_10154026415845514_6453191842840

https://www.facebook.com/events/629040807189691

1975098_10153933161450514_1316184793_n.j

Pretty good sound in that venue too