Sign in to follow this  
gparker777

Is there a cassette tape resurgence?

Does anyone remember the Digital Compact Cassette (DCC) which was  developed and released by Philips and Matushita in 1992. It was much more advanced than the existing cassette but made no inroads into the market and was soon abandoned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Compact_Cassette

Wow HC, how the f--k  did I miss this one?  I remember seeing a couple of these cassette  with the funny steal brackets but they were used for data backup back in the 90s because I remember IT requesting me to insert one of these tapes in a machine.

I remember someone doing them in real time ages ago but they were expensive.

Does anyone remember the Digital Compact Cassette (DCC) which was  developed and released by Philips and Matushita in 1992. It was much more advanced than the existing cassette but made no inroads into the market and was soon abandoned

I remember reading about that at the time, but never actually came across them.

The audio cassette was never originally meant as a hi fidelity medium. It was meant for use in dictation machines. It was only due to improvements in tape formulations, and the development of noise reduction systems to compensate for its inherent limitations that enabled it to become a higher quality medium. For all its limitations, I think its actually quite remarkable that it was eventually able to achieve the level of performance that it did.

Funnily enough, the lurid piece of plastic shite that my two year old attached herself to at yesterday's fete stall was a portable cassette player. It comes as no surprise that the Dora The Explorer model with built in speaker and microphone has flown somewhere under the audiophile radar. I am nevertheless baffled that Dora and cassette tapes could converge in a 2003 toy.

I long ago my tape collection to a mate's dad's coast shack. But I still have a few lying around - James Brown, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin and some blanks - to make it less frightful than some battery operated torture devices.

I have 2 cassette decks still plugged in and ready to roll.  Doesn't happen much tho.

Me too.

Yammy KX-500A in the garage system.  I store all the tapes in the same cabinet, so it still gets used regularly.

NAD 613 in the main system which rarely gets used now.

Tapes are a mix of pre-recorded albums, copies of my vinyl that I made to play in the car, recordings from FM radio and live recordings.

Always used TDK-SA, Maxell or Hitachi UD/UDXL, etc. and the majority have held up really well.

copies of my vinyl that I made to play in the car

Back when it took time and effort to make a tape. :)

Especially if it was a compilation and track selection and play order had to be made.

It could take a whole weekend just to make a 90min tape......

I kinda miss that sometimes to be honest.

The hands-on, real-time factor of putting together a mixtape.

But I do love the ease of tick tick tick click burn MP3CD done.

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

Noticed portable and cassette tape players appearing in a few current pop videos; Replay - Zendaya, rather be - clean bandit.

Is Cassette tape making a resurgence as the cool "new" old format for audio playback?

I hope not

It was an early implementation of a perceptual audio codec. i.e. similar to MP3.

Provided much better S/N ratio than the Cassette, but was not CD quality.

http://www.mp3-tech.org/programmer/docs/audiopaper1.pdf

"D. PRECISION ADAPTIVE SUBBAND CODING (PASC)

Phillips Digital Compact Cassette (DCC) is an example of a consumer product which essentially implements the 384 kb/s

stereo mode of MPEG-1, layer I."

I have boxes of tapes,from things friends have taped for me,  vinyl I've copied  over myself,original album cassette releases,and cassette singles.Always tried to use good quality blanks, TDK and/or Maxell chrome.I still have a tape player in my work vehicle and wouldn't swap it for anything. Keeps me connected to my youth,and the way I see it , that ain't a bad thing.Some of these whipper snappers today could take a lesson from that. Good music will hold up no matter how many years have passed regardless of what medium it's presented on.Tape on I say!

Maxell was my favourite tape on R to R and cassette.

Love it!.

Man.............that guy hates them!