gparker777

Is there a cassette tape resurgence?

On 09/12/2017 at 6:08 PM, betocool said:

I SO wanted to own DCC's back then! Unaffordable though...

Yep, me too.   Then the Recordable CD came out.....somehow I missed a phase will raising kids.....:huh:

If I had a dogma, every night before sleeping I would pray that any glimmer of cassette tape revival gets pulverised before it happens. Seriously, why would anyone want a return to this level of mundane mediocrity?

9 minutes ago, rantan said:

If I had a dogma, every night before sleeping I would pray that any glimmer of cassette tape revival gets pulverised before it happens. Seriously, why would anyone want a return to this level of mundane mediocrity?

For the fun of it.   😋     But I don’t miss it one bit..:thumb:   I’m done....   when the BOSS ordered all

my cassette collection to be thrown out!   I never looked back!   I even place my Nakamichi deck in the classified for free!   

I waiting formthe next you beut innovation to take us forward into the future....can’t wait for the optical format to be made redundant.

2 hours ago, rantan said:

Amen  brother. I think the worse sounding were the commercial tapes. Utter Sh!!t. 

I recorded a CD onto a TDK Metal tape using Dolby C and had trouble telling the difference (Mid Eighties). 

A Really good Cassette deck, sorted [As in Aligned ed] would be of great worth to Musicians that have 'Out -Takes' of recording sessions.......pencil in basically any recording session in the early 80"s to mid 90's.

CD recording off the master tape was not a common practice until cheap recording/writing media/recorders were available.......pretty much all demos were as cassette to recording bands, only because that was the likely media they were able to play back the material.

Get hold of those PRE MASTERED Cassettes......Very Good listening indeed......HUGE Dynamics

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

I recorded a CD onto a TDK Metal tape using Dolby C and had trouble telling the difference (Mid Eighties). 

They weren’t cheap!  I think I paid $20 for 90min...  they had an alloy frame with transparent housing!   Beautiful piece of “art” !     Sounded awesome, like you said hard to tell the difference apart from tap hiss! 

Edited by Addicted to music

Posted (edited)

I have just fitted new pinch rollers and serviced my mint Akai GXC760D which features 3 heads, dual capstans and is built like a Sherman tank. Recording on a decent chrome tape from CD sounds almost as good as the CD with some faint hiss present. Stuffing it through my DBX128 with a small amount of expansion I cant tell the difference. Now back into playing with cassettes for some nostalgia and they sound better than I remember to be honest. I like these old high end Akai decks more than the Nakamichi decks as they are much easier to service with a more robust tape-path.

Currently looking for a decent Sony Walkman preferably a pro version.

299794-akai_gxc760d_totl_tape_deck.jpg

pics_v2.jpg

Edited by Simonon

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

They weren’t cheap!  I think I paid $20 for 90min...  they had an alloy frame with transparent housing!   Beautiful piece of “art” !     Sounded awesome, like you said hard to tell the difference apart from tap hiss! 

Yeah they were a weapon. Hit someone in the back of the head and it wouldn't tickle. Amazing sound! I had a mate come back from the States with the first cd (portable too) player i had seen. Probably the first in Rockhampton...bless old Rocky :)

this guy had some high end gear so I gave him the Metal and he taped Love over gold for me. OMG, better than any tape I'd heard. $13. I think the see through one was at the time 86/87. Dolby C cut down the hiss. 

Bought a Teac cd player 6 months later.

Edited by blakey72

6 minutes ago, Simonon said:

I have just fitted new pinch rollers and serviced my mint Akai GXC760D which features 3 heads, dual capstans and is built like a Sherman tank. Recording on a decent chrome tape from CD sounds almost as good as the CD with some faint hiss present. Stuffing it through my DBX128 with a small amount of expansion I cant tell the difference. Now back into playing with cassettes for some nostalgia and they sound better than I remember to be honest. I like these old high end Akai decks more than the Nakamichi decks as they are much easier to service with a more robust tape-path.

Currently looking for a decent Sony Walkman preferably a pro version.

299794-akai_gxc760d_totl_tape_deck.jpg

pics_v2.jpg

Any specific Akai model you would recomment Simonon? Dolby b, c would be good.

1 minute ago, blakey72 said:

Any specific Akai model you would recomment Simonon? Dolby b, c would be good.

If you are happy with dolby B and chrome tapes  I can highly recommend these Akai GXC decks with their glass/ ferrite heads, 3 motors, dual capstans and Sherman tank build. 3 MOTOR decks are great as they do not have any rubber idler wheels and only one belt which are a big source of failure in old decks.  If looked after they are virtually indestructible and sound very good. Mine has appreciated in value considerably since its purchase. The upmarket decks from the mid 70s by the likes of Akai, Pioneer, Luxman and Teac were built to last having a build quality unheard of these days. The worst decks for quality come from the late 80s to early 90s when cassettes were dying a slow death. Many of these decks now require belt kits pinch rollers, new rubber idlers and in some cases new motors. if you can find an Akai GXC760D, 730D or 570D for a good price grab it although they seem to be becoming expensive due to the lunacy of Ebay. I cant believe the prices some vendors are asking for blank cassettes now (metal in particular)

4 minutes ago, Simonon said:

If you are happy with dolby B and chrome tapes  I can highly recommend these Akai GXC decks with their glass/ ferrite heads, 3 motors, dual capstans and Sherman tank build. 3 MOTOR decks are great as they do not have any rubber idler wheels and only one belt which are a big source of failure in old decks.  If looked after they are virtually indestructible and sound very good. Mine has appreciated in value considerably since its purchase. The upmarket decks from the mid 70s by the likes of Akai, Pioneer, Luxman and Teac were built to last having a build quality unheard of these days. The worst decks for quality come from the late 80s to early 90s when cassettes were dying a slow death. Many of these decks now require belt kits pinch rollers, new rubber idlers and in some cases new motors. if you can find an Akai GXC760D, 730D or 570D for a good price grab it although they seem to be becoming expensive due to the lunacy of Ebay. I cant believe the prices some vendors are asking for blank cassettes now (metal in particular)

Great, thanks mate. I'll keep my eye out ;)

@blakey72

when I was right into audio as a teenager and my cousin introduced me to Encel HiFi  back in the early 80s  I use to duck into Richmond to make that special trip down Bridge Road and I use to buy TDK SA-X 90 in a box of 10.  They sold the cheapest tapes in Melb,  it where I discovered Nakamichi, Luxman, Rotel!    I had hundreds of SA-X 90.  

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

@blakey72

when I was right into audio as a teenager and my cousin introduced me to Encel HiFi  back in the early 80s  I use to duck into Richmond to make that special trip down Bridge Road and I use to buy TDK SA-X 90 in a box of 10.  They sold the cheapest tapes in Melb,  it where I discovered Nakamichi, Luxman, Rotel!    I had hundreds of SA-X 90.  

Yeah I loved the SA-X's too. Didn't have hundreds but probably 40-50. Had about 15 TDK Metals. We didn't have hifi stores in Rockhampton in mid 80's (didn't have much of anything actually). Just a lonely record store in the new plaza that had a small rack of TDK's. 

I used the the SAX90s also. Use to buy a box of ten at a time. Seem good value. 

Just purchased 10 of these tapes to play with for a great price now the Akai is revived. I really am struggling to pick the difference from the original digital recording this thing sounds that good.
Fun playing with cassettes again.9ac1418a9284c325bde12158a83f3365.jpg439822161428d9ec79332b93c4e55eb0.jpg

Yep rewinding or FF was the best.🤪

@Simonon

BASF and TDK use to make some excellent products....  But that was b4  digital!   

The BASF and TDK is not that same in the  audio consumer world today.    The BASF CDR are rubbish, the silver coating peels off after a while.  The TDK  are a hit and missed with bad batches that errors... both I will never purchase again and possible won’t be manufacturered.      Vabatim is the way to go! 

On 9 August 2018 at 6:36 PM, [email protected] said:

I would drink to that:hiccup...........if it wasn't for my gout😩

Gouts all in the mind. Keep drinking. 

Dug my walkman out of the shed, replaced the belt as it had turned to goo and now listening to some tapes recorded on my big GXC760 Akai.
I must say it sounds better than I remember. Loving the nostalgia
Long live tape72f0b2dc8ce3e744cfd4a5ed0f1e4b5e.jpge49c9abbd9fb63ad644db9be2fcbbe0a.jpg