Is there a cassette tape resurgence?

Just now, joz said:

Good to see a quality tape used.

That SA-X formulation wasn't for sale for very long which was a shame as it was superb. Still, the ones that followed have lasted too but that was a stand out. Very, very dark tape, more like a metal formulation to look at.

I fix the occasional tape deck here in Tassie.

I would  guess that I have sold over a dozen (bakers dozen) in the past year.

Some people just want to play their collection, others use them for music production in their studios, I don't know the specifics though.

I just need some time to work on two Tascam reel to reel players that I own, as there has been a lot of interest here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 09/08/2018 at 9:53 PM, blakey72 said:

I recorded a CD onto a TDK Metal tape using Dolby C and had trouble telling the difference (Mid Eighties). 

Just did the exact same thing on my Luxman or my Yamaha KS2000

On 18/09/2019 at 4:11 PM, Hergest said:

I've read the last few pages and been biting my tongue. Today I was looking for something to play in the study while it was belting down with rain so dug out a tape I'd made in February 1990 from a Fish cd i'd borrowed from a mate, (home taping never did kill music) and it sounds bloody awesome without any mention of it being a 29 year old recording. The naysayers are wrong, if done right it is still ,(as it always has been) a viable and excellent format.

Fish1.jpg.5fb2dd939209b04ff6e656e4b2c24caa.jpg

Fish2.jpg.e8bc6a38c4cd37f985f9df3fc7a01540.jpg

Fish3.jpg.4a7783d2b931c6085fcb10173dee5eef.jpg

Love it. Had loads of SA's, SA-X's and Metal's from TDK. Amazing sound recorded from cd. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Just looking at cassettes on ebay. Geez some people are charging $10-$20 for one tape. Hope they aren't going to be costing that in the future.

Is anyone still making them ? If not, you can expect the price to go up.

I visited my parent's summer house when I was in Chile in February, and stayed there for about a week. Found a '94 USA Soccer World Cup, Beavis and Butthead, and other similarly aged t-shirts. Not only that, I got to show my daughters what cassettes and VHS tapes looked like. Unfortunately, I did not find a Sony Walkman I had, you bet your bum I would have brought it back.

They found it hilarious that I travelled with:

- a ton of cassettes

- a ton of AA batteries

inside my bagpack when I was going on longer trips.

Nostalgia, yes, but it's so much easier these days. Although... my dad still has an 80's Grundig tape deck... I'll have to bring it back someday.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

Have a read of this! Nice pics of tape duplication machines too!

https://assemblepapers.com.au/2020/02/10/dex-audio/

< Kensington has changed considerably since Dex Audio – once one of the biggest cassette tape, CD and DVD duplication facilities in the country – began business there in the early eighties. Piers Morgan sat down with Dex Audio’s co-founder Greg Williams for a chat about adapting with the times in a fast-moving industry, and how Kensington has changed over the years. >

Yes, they're back in business duplicating cassettes for indie bands!

regards Ian

• Like 1