Is there a cassette tape resurgence?

On 20/08/2019 at 11:13 PM, hired goon said:

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a laserdisc revival yet. You get all the hipster cred of retro packaging, all the joy of large physical artwork, all the sonic benefits of digital, and all the cost and inconvenience of vinyl, in one amazing product. Everyone wins!

--Geoff

Somebody where I work collects laserdiscs.

4 hours ago, emesbee said:

Somebody where I work collects laserdiscs.

I collected 'em when I lived in Utah. It was the only way at the time (I think) to get the original Star Wars trilogy. 

But seriously ... an audio-only laserdisc album (with flippable sides!) would be sweet. 

--Geoff 

Hey @Simonon

I think you might like this guy on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5I2hjZYiW9gZPVkvzM8_Cw

He collects and uses obsolete formats for music, I've really been getting into watching his channel. I've learnt about formats I'd heard of, and found a few I never knew about.

Cheers

Hi All,

I notice on Bandcamp a lot of artists are releasing 'Limited Edition' cassettes instead of CDs .

Also noticed in the commercial Classifieds on Monday a 'top of the range Elite model' Laser Disc was sold pretty quickly by Len Wallace, so someone has a use for them

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 1

I need to remember to bring to Oz my cassette collection from Chile when I go there in February. Some jewels include:

- The Way We Walk, vol 1 - Genesis

- The Works - Queen

- We Can't Dance - Genesis

- Some South American Beatles compilation, 20 Greatest or so

- The Beach Boys 20 Greatest for that matter

All Genuine Chilean Limited Editions y'all....

Man... I should have a serious look! Might pay for a few month's mortage, or just be worth the trip! ?

Then again.... I might find them among my 1997 vintage MIB and 1994 USA World Cup T-shirts... Oh, hang on, sorry, this is my stop... Memory Lane.

Cheers,

Alberto

2 hours ago, glenm64 said:

I was reading that cassettes are relatively cheap way of upcoming bands to release their own music in small batches.

I was speaking last week to a very sensible and media savvy Perth band leader and she said its all about "physical product and a download code" for the current punters. They listen to the download and the tangible cassette comes in at about 1/5 of the cost of a small vinyl run. 

Edited by zenikoy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 13/09/2019 at 6:22 PM, joz said:

It’s the latest hipster vinyl.

It is the latest over priced crap, that has no business being used as a medium for any meaningful standard of fidelity in music reproduction.

Sneaks silently away to find flack jacket just in case.

Edited by rantan
typo
  • Haha 2

I've read the last few pages and been biting my tongue. Today I was looking for something to play in the study while it was belting down with rain so dug out a tape I'd made in February 1990 from a Fish cd i'd borrowed from a mate, (home taping never did kill music) and it sounds bloody awesome without any mention of it being a 29 year old recording. The naysayers are wrong, if done right it is still ,(as it always has been) a viable and excellent format.

Fish1.jpg.5fb2dd939209b04ff6e656e4b2c24caa.jpg

Fish2.jpg.e8bc6a38c4cd37f985f9df3fc7a01540.jpg

Fish3.jpg.4a7783d2b931c6085fcb10173dee5eef.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1