Is there a cassette tape resurgence?

This was my tape for everything:

image.png.d51d8ed8598879dc6c4f7b44545d588b.png

I still have some somewhere with Queen's Greatest Hits II, Michael Jacksons Dangerous, Genesis' We Can't Dance, and some more from the very early '90s. All copied from CD on a Grundig tape deck from the early 80's, with Dolby Noise Reduction and played through a yellow Sony Sports Walkman with anti-rolling and anti-skating mechanism.

It was the duck's nuts! Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

image.thumb.png.2387a450a049a504ec5761bca4d0aa79.png

image.png.749123f65a2c58bbce3d78ece304f816.png

N.B.: Not my own images.

• Like 1

I wonder if there will be a rush at Cash Converts for old top of the range tape decks.

I'd get in early. The good ones will go first.

Who is going to guess which manufacturer will start making decks again.

Lets see some name? 

Ill start; Teac (if they exist).

47 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I wonder if there will be a rush at Cash Converts for old top of the range tape decks.

I'd get in early. The good ones will go first.

Who is going to guess which manufacturer will start making decks again.

Lets see some name? 

Ill start; Teac (if they exist).

I'm gonna let you win this one....

im gonna lay back and relax in digital audio....:D

• Like 1

My Sansui SC-3330 deck is sadly in need of repair - looks like it's going to need new belts and there's something wrong electrically (loud humming sound and VUs are 100% whenever I attempt playback). Hopefully not going to be a complicated fix - that deck did an awesome job in its day and did a top notch job of metal tape recording.

I still have my (sadly not 100% working due to battery terminal issues, but will work with an AC adapter) AIWA J202 Mark V recording walkman - got that one for my birthday when I was in primary school and it was literally the best day of the year.  My grandmother would buy me a ten pack of BASF Chrome Super II tapes for Christmas for a few years in a row (I had a few Chrome Maxima tapes but not many) - they'll be packed away somewhere.  My parents had (and still have) a drawer full of classical music recorded to Maxell XLII tapes.

@jazzdog@groovemasters I had one of those Maxell VHS-C tapes for when my dad would let me play with the camcorder!

• Like 2

I’ve been playing around with cassette decks recently as a bit of a hobby. I enjoy rebuilding the mechanisms. Whoever posted before about their deck VU meters going to 100% when the deck is played - usually the record switch on the PCB is dirty and just needs a few squirts of contact cleaner.

A few decks I’ve been working on;

On the top a Technics M205 basic 80’s deck. Needed new belts and a clean of the transport and record switch clean and now it’s running like new. This has a MX head which is the reason I got it - a larger portable I have has the same head and I purchased this as a donor unit and ended up restoring it instead.

On the bottom a Pioneer CT-W606DR with digital noise reduction - 20bit analog - digital - analog converter to remove tape hiss. This one needed a basic service and new belts. Sounds amazing and has a number of awesome features like auto calibration (bias/EQ) and a system called Flex which restores degraded high frequency response.

2f5bca03410797bcc1328c4b54f20cbd.jpg

I’ve been enjoying recording some vinyl to tape and then setting the tapes playing when I’m cooking or doing other work around the house. Nice to have the music without having to swap records over all the time (yes I’ve heard of Spotify ;) )

Drew

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just picked up one of these bad boys.

0F81D386-D09F-4406-857E-8B0EBBB70C51.thumb.jpeg.73a3cb17cbaa0cd31aecf06e98c54e67.jpeg

In extremely good condition with the optional dust cover that’s in very good nick also. All vu meters work, seems to be playing fine.

Just went looking for my tape collection, can’t find it. :( Must have thrown them out. Really can’t remember doing it though.

:emot-bang:

• Like 5

On 11/28/2017 at 10:08 PM, Ancientflatulence said:

Does anyone want about 150 cassettes recorded from records, rock and pop from the 70s through to the 90s. A friend has amassed a collection which he no longer requires and like to clear out

Anyone interested ???????????

Is anyone wanting these ???????????????

• Like 1

This whole resurgence thing is distracting me from make beautifull tube gear of every description (though I am currently making another "Sanctum" tube HP amp). 

If "we" go back to tape playing are we only going to play commercially recorded tapes only? Do we play Larry's or Bob's mix tape or copy tapes of our own?  Are we dumbing down the art by playing tapes which have been ripped from LPs or radio burn-offs?

Should we approach the High Court for a ruling?  

• Like 2

On 19/11/2017 at 8:17 PM, cwt said:

Seem to remember that TDK had 2 grades of metal tapes ;the best ones with the screwed anti vibration cases  and the 2nd with a more regular case . Cant remember the later ones nomenclature but they were more reasonably priced :)

The more reasonably priced ones would have been the MA-X, and the more expensive ones would have been MA-XG.

i still have some floating around somewhere :-)

Regards,

SS

Edit: a bit of googling indicates there was also an MA a little lower in the lineup.

Edited by Sub Sonic

12 hours ago, Sub Sonic said:

The more reasonably priced ones would have been the MA-X, and the more expensive ones would have been MA-XG.

i still have some floating around somewhere :-)

Regards,

SS

Edit: a bit of googling indicates there was also an MA a little lower in the lineup.

Yes that rings a bell ; I tended to use type 1 ferro's [BASF] after Hifi for Pleasure ? did a test on Cro2 types and found some could hold a lot more magnetic energy  and price wasn't the best indicator of quality. A low coercivity to help the erase head do a good job looked good at the time and the slowest frequency rolloff above 10k [ not that I had auto ; only manual bias adjust to help it] :)

• Like 1