Is there a cassette tape resurgence?

Sitting in storage in Canberra I have a Pioneer three head deck that features Dolby B, C and S. It replaced a Nakamichi BX-150 that had become uneconomical to repair. I purchased it when I was living in England. I think it's a CTS-630S though it has been a few years since I boxed it up so I'm not entirely certain. From memory the retail on it was about 250 pounds.

If anyone is interested and has no great sense of urgency about it just PM me and I will dig it out when next I'm back in Canberra.

Christ, I hope not. Compact Cassette has to be the crappiest music medium there is (yes, possibly worse than records!)

The sound is sub-standard, the machinery is overly complicated and unreliable, and the tapes themselves are too narrow, too thin, and too chewy.

That said, I do have the lovely old Teac A-450, I've always thought it was a great looking machine, and it matches my five Teac A-3300SX reel to reel decks!

post-150418-0-39098500-1427943030_thumb.  post-150418-0-80806200-1427943039_thumb.

Cheers,

Jason.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I haven't thrown away any of my old cassettes. I keep telling my wife I'm not a hoarder :)

I fully understand you, however it was the better 1/2's directive to get rid of all that tape collection that I don't use....

Should have seen the look on my face, all that childhood memories on how music gets me by........then I realised its called progress and a thing called a CD......so out it went....:D

At least I was able to keep the vinyl collection, never gonna part with that....

Edited by Addicted to music

Christ, I hope not. Compact Cassette has to be the crappiest music medium there is (yes, possibly worse than records!)

The sound is sub-standard, the machinery is overly complicated and unreliable, and the tapes themselves are too narrow, too thin, and too chewy.

That said, I do have the lovely old Teac A-450, I've always thought it was a great looking machine, and it matches my five Teac A-3300SX reel to reel decks!

attachicon.gifA3300.jpg

Cheers,

Jason.

Yep, I had one of those Teac Cassette decks way back in the 1970s. I used it to record my vinyl recordings, so that I could play them in the car. The recordings were so good, that I frequently listened to recorded cassette, rather than wear out my vinyl records.

A450.jpg

Edited by MusicOne
  • Like 1

Samuel Ray Delany, Jr.

You wont hear a bad word about him from me that's for sure.  Fantastic writer and an absolutely, thoroughly thoroughly  interesting human bean.