FM radio tuner schooling required

Hi all,

I am having reception issues and would appreciate any teaching on the issue at all.

Currently using a Yamaha TX-492 here hooked up to a brand new roof antennae. I live centrally on the Gold coast and am located on the crest of a hill.

Moet of the local radio stations register strongly on the tuner's signal strength meter but only a couple are pure, the rest have to varying degrees obvious static and it is driving me crazy.

What can I try?

Regards and thanks

I never had much success with my roof antenna I found just a piece of wire in the antenna socket of the receiver was enough but that only does FM I didn't bother with AM I'm sure somebody else has a better suggestion. 

Great responses so far, thanks all.

Surprisetech;

Antennae was installed 1 year ago and is supposedly DVB-T type? Tuner s connected to wall terminal via long shielded cable.

I only listen to FM. AM reception is unreliable but isn't it always?

Edited by brockot

Try the piece of wire it's cheap and it might surprise you I'm using one of those twisty wire's that bakers use to tie bags of bread I kid you not it goes in the centre pin of the receiver's antenna socket and it's about 20 centimetres long the FM signal is clear and strong try to make sure it is in there tight maybe double over the wire.

It works.

Great responses so far, thanks all.

Surprisetech;

Antennae was installed 1 year ago and is supposedly DVB-T type? Tuner s connected to wall terminal via long shielded cable.

I only listen to FM. AM reception is unreliable but isn't it always?

There's not really such an animal as a "DVB-T type" TV antenna.  There are VHF, UHF and VHF/UHF combination TV antenna's.

A so-called DVB-T antenna is simply one of those antenna's with appropriate frequency coverage and gain that will pickup all the relevant Digital Channel frequencies in your area.

It will either be a VHF/UHF combined antenna, or a UHF antenna.

The only thing that might justify an antenna being called a DVB-T type is that it will have more comprehensive coverage of the upper UHF channels than what some earlier antennae might have had.

I might be wrong, but I think all the TV channels are broadcast on UHF on the Gold Coast, so your TV antenna might be UHF only.  (Can you check with the Installer?)

This might be the issue, since the FM Radio broadcast band is in the low-end of the VHF band across the old VHF TV Channel 3 to 5 frequencies.

The best TV antenna for FM are the older VHF ones that included sections for those frequencies.

Also, long lengths of coaxial lead-in cable also attenuate the signal quite a bit, which will not help if the antenna is not ideal to start with.

First, check that your rooftop antenna is pointing directly to Mt Tamborine.  If that's not the problem, then you could start by trying the simple dipole wire antenna that came with the tuner and see if things improve.

Something like this might be worth experimenting with, but just make sure it has a 75 Ohm cable and plug to suit your tuner.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LT3114

Which stations are the clean and noisy ones?

Wow. Thanks for all the support. Plenty of things to try tonight.

Stations that are clean are mostly bottom end of spectrum but couple of those 90.9 for eg are noisy too.

Good to learn a bit more (a lot more actually) about the TV and FM signals. Thank you surprisetech. Will go through files tonight and try to get details of actual antennae installed.

Brlliant guys. TTFN

Intercity Melb get excellent reception on all but 1 station .

With right weather conditions I pick up Murray Bridge when I don't want to!

Have tried the wire up wall nad blue tacked in place on other occassions it's inferior to a professionally installed external aerial.

It's easy for an amateur to mis install an aerial

This might be a fallacy > do not run too many components off a single aerial even if not in use ie all those never turned on tv s in children's bed rooms. 3-4 maximum

From memory in a previous thread -mr happy pants had a wire aerial running around s long external fence in a semi rural area.

The bag tie system could be extended with a long roll of green garden tie from $2 shop.

Edited by djb

I use a dedicated external FM antenna for my tuner. Separate antenna and separate cabling back to my tuner.

This ensures best possible FM reception. A popular type of FM antenna is called a Yagi antenna. I'm pretty sure that Jaycar sell them.

They are designed to have reception for the right radio frequency FM signals are broadcast on here in Australia.

Regards, David.

A VHF/UHF antenna will be suitable for FM transmission. A so called Digital TV antenna will NOT be suitable, so that is probably the issue. Do some more research relevant to your situation and I am sure you will sort out the issue and come up with a good alternative