Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Dangers of cycling

55 minutes ago, blybo said:

I certainly hope you are not insinuating I did anything wrong! A car driver passed me and immediately stopped suddenly and blocked my path.

this is the problem. unfortunately people see as right and wrong and looking for blame...rather than looking at consideration of possibilities and what each can do to prevent. So you feel the old lady did something wrong ? you didnt. I see people stopped immediately and blocking paths everyday...cars queued to turn stopped middle of the road. cars stopped due to other cars. everyday. I see cars stopping immediately in traffic blocking cars path all the time.

give you my own example.... riding along car came out driveway. i slammed in the side. lucky didn't go flying over. he didnt see me I couldn't react fast enough to stop. whose fault is it ? does it matter if I was a touch faster and got run over or went flying over endedup with head injuries ?irelevant as I wouldnt likely be here typing this to argue the toss...

I should have had more consideration that car could have come out of there and probably going slower to react in time. he should have had consideration that someone eg a bike could come along that could smack into him.

as long as stand around pointing fingers at others and looking for blame nothing will ever come of current standoff. we are humans we are not infallible... even machines are not infallible.... refer why we dont have full proof automated driving systems and cars yet.

I attended a session on Ai last week. the Ai in cars is quite complex using predictive analytics..machine learning and but its not enough...humans are actually smarter as they can do causal decision making. something machines not quite there yet ... ie humans can see kids playing with a ball at side of the road and decide hey I better slow down as ball could roll onto road and kid run onto road. same ways we can have a lot of consideration of factors around us to be safer drivers and cyclists and motorists and not put our selves and others lives in danger and at risk. maybe one days machines will get there .... though even now machine learning isnt enough as it would have had to have run over a kid after a ball rolled onto the road before it learnt of the potential situation ...

10 minutes ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

To change tack...I think the biggest danger for cyclists indeed anyone, is something I learned in first year psych- systematic desensitisation
The longer you do something dangerous without anything bad happening the more blasé you become about it
Human nature

this is a fantastic point ! desensitisation is a big risk. you get used to accepting risk, see as normal. get so blinkered it even falls out of consideration...

I hope one day GPS on all cars woudl be able to show a cyclist in the near vicinity. lier a blue blob or something. something akin to blind spot indicators we have on many cars now... hey there is a cyclist about.... take into consideration....

I hope we have bike glasses one day with a hud display... and can get to the point of picking up potential hazards from a huge library of prior accidents and incidents.... as a heads up... though there is risk of riders eyes glazing over to them given the amount of typical hazards around....

26 minutes ago, betty boop said:

give you my own example.... riding along car came out driveway. i slammed in the side. lucky didn't go flying over. he didnt see me I couldn't react fast enough to stop. whose fault is it ?

Simple. Driver is at fault. Same thing has happened to me. They did not give way as prescribed by law. Ironically the 2 examples are the only 2 times my bike or me have come in contact with a car despite over 100,000kms of cycling.

I know what you are getting at re consideration and mitigating risk, but take that to the logical conclusion... we all park our cars and bikes and just walk every where. It's not going to happen in the real world. I ride defensively to mitigate risk but some things are unavoidable.

1 hour ago, blybo said:

Simple. Driver is at fault. Same thing has happened to me. They did not give way as prescribed by law. Ironically the 2 examples are the only 2 times my bike or me have come in contact with a car despite over 100,000kms of cycling.

driver didnt see me. didn't think id come along. I and they could have had the consideration of the potential and it wouldnt have happened in the first place. Point I am making if they were peeling me off the road ...does it matter who's fault it is ? as far only happened twice ...it only takes a pretty serious incident for it to be the last. safety thinking has changed in last 10? years. they used to look at likely hood of a death relating to amount of  so many near misses and looking to have minor incident, so many minors before a major incidents ... so many major incidents to have a death - the safety triangle....current thinking is it takes a set of circumstances to have an outcome that can be death (look up swiss cheese and holes aligning)... its not how many times you role the dice....

1 hour ago, blybo said:

I know what you are getting at re consideration and mitigating risk, but take that to the logical conclusion... we all park our cars and bikes and just walk every where. It's not going to happen in the real world. I ride defensively to mitigate risk but some things are unavoidable.

can certainly limit exposure to risks..dangers...everyone makes these decisions all the time....not necessarily hanging up the bike or parking the car or what ever....just matter of taking consideration of risks around you. same thing we do walking around...can be run over just doing that... why we have set places to cross road... foot paths, ie limiting need for other transport to looking out for pedestrians... and controlling their movements across roads... why jay walking is a crime in us. and such....

there is a link of thinking that  suspect @Alpine Electrocats is hinting at is to create hazards so people get their wits about them. example are the roads hazards and chickanes along back roads/streets. why they put 90 deg bends in long country roads. rumble strips leading upto railway crossings. rumble strips side of the road.... all to get us thinking... rather than falling into slumber and mind miles away. instead have the consideration of risk around us :)

On 01/07/2019 at 9:48 AM, blybo said:

These guys were out for a leisurely ride, not racing. There are no race numbers on their backs. The sensible thing for a road cyclist to do when there is no paved shoulder to a road, is to claim the lane and make motorists overtake rather than squeezing you into the gravel. Plenty of car clubs use public roads for "cruising" too. Just because these cyclists are using the roads for enjoyment seems to get motorists worked up. I don't understand this, as many weekend drivers are using the roads to get to a cafe or restaurant

I use the road on my bike for exercise/leisure. Ive never said cyclists cant use it for leisure. I mange to do it while not getting in the way of motorists who are legally allowed to go much faster than I ride. It is called courtesy.

and btw motorists who use it for leisure and amble along looking out the side window and setting their own speed limit are equally inconsiderate not to mention dangerous.

On 01/07/2019 at 9:48 AM, blybo said:

Racing requires council permits and insurance, so it isn't illegal, but it is costly and difficult to arrange.

Football/soccer/ hockey (insert every other sport in the world) use their own facilities to indulge in their sports which is 1000x more costly and difficult to arrange.

On 01/07/2019 at 10:31 AM, blybo said:

Comments from people like @crisis certainly point towards motorists having issues with the way cyclists use the roads for recreation.

Misrepresentation of  "Comments from people like @crisis certainly point towards motorists having issues with the way cyclists use the roads for recreation."

Fixed it for you 👍

On 01/07/2019 at 12:49 PM, blybo said:

I feel this is where most non road riding cyclists are confused. IMHO this attitude simply does not exist, or is so rare to be called an extreme outlier. It is drivers interpretation of cyclists simply using the road. 95% of cyclists will try to disrupt traffic flow as little as possible because it is good manners and they are also drivers so understand both perspectives, but also because they know the abuse they will cop if they don't.

So these aren't the same ones who "claim the lane" then?

22 hours ago, blybo said:

I don't think there is unwarranted agro from cyclists, that's the whole point.

Many years ago I had an old lady overtake me on my commute home whilst lit up like a Christmas tree with 3 rear lights and 2 forward ones.  She then immediately braked to turn into the KFC on High St Kew but there was a cue so she couldn't complete the turn so just stopped half on the road, half on the verge. This is a down hill section of road so I was probably doing 45-50kph at the time. I still don't know how I didn't go thru her rear window, but managed to pull up and do an endo on her rear bumper with no damage done to either party. I followed her into KFC to have a chat. I was shaking like a leaf and did not go off at her, I just wanted to make her aware she could have killed me. Her reaction was an apologetic SMIDSY (Sorry Mate I didn't See you) so I just shook my head and continued home.

See below

On 01/07/2019 at 10:31 AM, blybo said:

Some cyclists behave badly, just like some drivers do, but we should call out the bad ones, not the whole group.

This thread is full of cyclists basically saying just give us some room and pass with consideration.

Or we will "claim the lane"

You misrepresent motorists by citing the actions of those who transgress and misrepresent cyclists by speaking in glowing terms  on behalf of a million people you dont know.

The replies are usually along the lines of "cyclists think they own the road".

only the "lane claimers"

They don't pay registration.

They dont

Lycra clad wannabe racers.

Wear what you want. Buy a race track.

Get out of my way I'm more important that than you... and get off my lawn!

hysterical rubbish.

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

I hope one day GPS on all cars woudl be able to show a cyclist in the near vicinity. lier a blue blob or something. something akin to blind spot indicators we have on many cars now... hey there is a cyclist about.... take into consideration....

I hope we have bike glasses one day with a hud display... and can get to the point of picking up potential hazards from a huge library of prior accidents and incidents.... as a heads up... though there is risk of riders eyes glazing over to them given the amount of typical hazards around....

very curiously when I posted this never realised there is actually a trial going on right now for connected cars and to warn of hazards.... and working to create smart vehicles interconnected.... (we have some sort of aspects now but they work open a lag with waze and such). not sure how bikes will figure in this....

https://www.theage.com.au/technology/connected-cars-to-warn-of-hazards-on-aussie-roads-20190626-p521cr.html

"Smart vehicles will warn Australian drivers when a car is about to run a red light, or a pedestrian steps onto the road, as part of new technology trials aiming to lower the road toll.

Victoria is undertaking one of the world's first vehicle-to-everything (V2X) trials, using artificial intelligence to study the live feed from VicRoad's traffic camera network to spot potential hazards. The system will send real-time alerts to a car's dashboard, delivered via Telstra's 4G mobile network.

The two-year $3.5 million trial — involving Telstra, Lexus, VicRoads and the Transport Accident Commission — is set to take to Victorian roads later this year, having already completed six months of trials on a test track. It is part of Victoria's Towards Zero road toll campaign, funded as part of the state government's Connected and Automated Vehicle Trial Grants program.

"Connected and automated vehicles will play a huge part in reducing lives lost and serious injuries on our roads in the future; that's why we're getting ready to implement this technology to start making a big impact on our roads," says VicRoads chief executive Robyn Seymour.

The trial of the Advanced Connected Vehicles Victoria (ACV2) platform will initially focus on studying traffic camera feeds to warn drivers approaching intersections when a car is about to run a red light, or a pedestrian is hampering a right-hand turn.

The ACV2 system also provides information regarding the speed limit, including advisory limits due to sharp turns, poor weather conditions or traffic congestion due to slow or stalled cars ahead

It will also warn drivers when a car ahead brakes suddenly, although this aspect requires both cars to be equipped with the technology.

ACV2 alerts are sent to a car's in-console screen via Telstra's 4G mobile network, using Quality of Service to ensure the warnings take priority over other mobile data traffic. Eventually the system may also use Telstra's new 5G network, taking advantage of reduced latency to deliver alerts even more quickly."

963f07ae24b817f38cac3047877010d51648f8f4

@crisis Please don't change my words.

You are exactly the sort of person that uses illogical thinking to believe you some how have more rights to use the road than others. Why are you more important than a cyclist?

Rego is there to make sure drivers of potentially lethal weapons have 3rd party insurance, and to make sure the vehicle passes some degree of safety compliance. It is not a user pays system. Bikes are not considered lethal weapons are are not required to be registered anywhere in the world to my knowledge, particularly when they REDUCE traffic congestion and DECREASE average commute times for motorists. Rego dollars also go into general revenue, they are not used to keep the roads in good condition or to fund new ones as many believe. 

36 minutes ago, crisis said:

Wear what you want. Buy a race track.

I don't race, just like the guys you claim were, were not. Racers do temporarily buy public roads as race tracks BTW. That's what the permits are for. Why would I buy a race track to use my chosen method of transport to go to my cafe of choice and back again? Race tracks never go where I want to, they just go round and round.

38 minutes ago, crisis said:

Football/soccer/ hockey (insert every other sport in the world) use their own facilities to indulge in their sports which is 1000x more costly and difficult to arrange.

Motorsport? Yachting? Triathlons, marathons, fun runs? Football grounds and tennis courts etc are almost all publicly owned, just like the roads. At least cycling races at local/regional levels don't completely close roads down, unlike the Melbourne marathon which made it hard to get to the SNA show last year.

Lane claiming is not about deliberately holding up traffic. It is the safest way for a cyclist, scooter rider or motorcyclist to manoeuvre through a potentially dangerous piece of traffic infrastructure such as a chicane or roundabout without being pushed off the road. It is a safety tactic and not designed to disrupt traffic flow for any prolonged time frame, usually mere seconds. Despite cyclist having the right to "claim a lane" 100% of the time they ride, they rarely do it as a sign of consideration and politeness towards faster moving traffic. On an average 2-3 hour ride I go on, on Sunday mornings in metropolitan Melbourne I have no need to claim a lane on my route except when turning right in a roundabout. Any driver behind me is held up by maybe 5-10 seconds... they must be devastated at my arrogance.

Groups of riders will ride 2 abreast as again it is a more efficient and safe way for them to get around. It makes the group shorter (8 riders 2 abreast is probably no longer than a dual cab ute) so easier for a car to pass... when safe to do so. I can't speak for all cyclist but when I used to ride in groups of this size in the single lane roads of the Dandenong ranges, we would ride 2 abreast until we heard motor vehicles coming from behind and we would then go to a single file formation to make passing easier.

24 minutes ago, betty boop said:

The two-year $3.5 million trial — involving Telstra, Lexus, VicRoads and the Transport Accident Commission — is set to take to Victorian roads later this year, having already completed six months of trials on a test track. It is part of Victoria's Towards Zero road toll campaign

Our road toll reduction is not keeping in line with increases in vehicle active and passive safety.

How about the government make immigrants, where English is not their first language, sit a licence test? Our signs are not in multiple languages so seems logical to make sure they know what is what. It's not politically correct, or could be deemed racist, that's why.

This would seem a simple (user pays) way to introduce our traffic laws. I've travelled in several Asian countries where the ONLY road rule appears to be "I'm in front of you so I can do what I like, and it's your responsibility to not hit me."  This was actually explained to me in a traffic jam in Guangzhou, China by the driver of the company I was visiting. It was also explained that many middle class women don't drive in China, at least not in Guangzhou, they simply have their own driver despite having a licence. So they immigrate here as mature adults with virtually no driving experience. Several European countries have chaotic traffic habits drastically different to ours too, especially in the really large cities.

43 minutes ago, blybo said:

How about the government make immigrants, where English is not their first language, sit a licence test? Our signs are not in multiple languages so seems logical to make sure they know what is what.

I migrated to Australia in 94 from the UK and settled in Sydney. At the time I had to take a driving test to get a licence in NSW as you couldn't just transfer it over. Is that not the case in Victoria? The only difference being that I didn't have to use P plates but I could only have a silver licence for 3 years rather than gold.

road tolls are difficult thing as basically any is too many, refer article below, its victoria centric but shows things like regionals and country roads being high contributor... why we have the road barriers project ( welcome things like lane departure on my car for instance). or emergency braking. they're spending 100 million spend on the cyclists and pedestrians project something cars cant detect....

http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/about-the-tac/media-room/news-and-events/2019/victoria-records-lowest-ever-annual-road-deaths,-but-212-is-still-too-many

other factors driving road tole I suspect are population ... we are growing at a crazy rate ! we also have a lot of congestion which in itself causes a lot of agro. lives are increasingly getting busy with folks doing long commutes and such possibly why more rural country road deaths.... I know two folk that had narrow misses waking up, in one caee being cut out the car by the local cfa and SES... she had to explain why she was still in her pyjamas.....

54 minutes ago, Hergest said:

I migrated to Australia in 94 from the UK and settled in Sydney. At the time I had to take a driving test to get a licence in NSW as you couldn't just transfer it over. Is that not the case in Victoria? The only difference being that I didn't have to use P plates but I could only have a silver licence for 3 years rather than gold.

i know myself driving internationally (there is the international licence can get from racv) https://www.racv.com.au/travel-leisure/holiday-planning/international-driving-licence.html

but  never been asked whether I could read the local languages. so suspect we are same here. many signs these days are quite consistent to what would see over seas though so am not sure thats the problem ? 

locally in victoria as a permanent resident you get 6 months with your international ( or interstate license)

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/renew-replace-or-update/new-to-victoria/overseas-drivers

in getting license changed over it seems only a few countries license is recognised... (eg uk) presume its a clear change over then. rest of countries including ones blybo is talking about need the tests.

the problem is that 6 months I guess ? until they actually do the test ? getting a license is not easy these days. so guess they drive for 6 months create havoc and then after that either dont get it or get it ?

another category does worry me. see traditionally most folk (my generation anyways) woudl get their license at 18 and then whether they drove or rode bikes they had a good understand of road rules. classic example of generation coming through. a niece of mine. no intention of getting driving license rides a bit completely clueless of any road rules ....

my daughter we do end up navigating through roads as such and am teaching her slowly rules ie how roundabouts work and such. but gee I can se the bother of folk either internationaly or clueless of our road rules being a hazard whether in a car or on a bike ! :) 

On 02/07/2019 at 4:03 PM, blybo said:

@crisis Please don't change my words.

example?

You are exactly the sort of person that uses illogical thinking to believe you some how have more rights to use the road than others.

example?

Why are you more important than a cyclist?

Please don't change my words

Rego is there to make sure drivers of potentially lethal weapons have 3rd party insurance, and to make sure the vehicle passes some degree of safety compliance. It is not a user pays system.

Says you. Registration registers your car with the government. Third part insurance is separate and only incorporated when you register your car because it is compulsory and convenient to do in the same process. Otherwise you wouldn't have separate insurance.

Registration in South Australia does not include safety checks. Registration is essentially collecting revenue from motorists for the privileged of using the cars they pay tax on using the petrol they pay tax on for using the road.

"lethal weapons" jesus.. 🙄

Bikes are not considered lethal weapons are are not required to be registered anywhere in the world to my knowledge, particularly when they REDUCE traffic congestion and DECREASE average commute times for motorists.

😂

Rego dollars also go into general revenue, they are not used to keep the roads in good condition or to fund new ones as many believe. 

Indeed. But that goes for all revenue. It is rarely put back into the area that it is taken from. Speeding fines dont go back into making roads safer either. That doesn't make it "right".

I don't race, just like the guys you claim were, were not. Racers do temporarily buy public roads as race tracks BTW. That's what the permits are for. Why would I buy a race track to use my chosen method of transport to go to my cafe of choice and back again?

If you are not racing then you dont need a race track. Please don't change my words

Motorsport?

Costs thousands to use roads for these events and returns millions to the economy. FWIW Professionally run, I have no issue. Same as I dont have any issue with the Tour Down Under , fun runs etc using public roads for professionally organized events. These occur once a year and include thousands of people. Far from the bunch of 7 or 8 who think they can use the road as a race track any time. I can deal with that. I am not  the sort of person that uses illogical thinking to believe I some how have more rights to use the road than others.

Football grounds and tennis courts etc are almost all publicly owned, just like the roads.

What?..

Lane claiming is not about deliberately holding up traffic.

Yes it is.

It is the safest way for a cyclist, scooter rider or motorcyclist to manoeuvre through a potentially dangerous piece of traffic infrastructure such as a chicane or roundabout without being pushed off the road. It is a safety tactic and not designed to disrupt traffic flow for any prolonged time frame, usually mere seconds.

Fine in those circumstances.

Despite cyclist having the right to "claim a lane" 100% of the time they ride, they rarely do it as a sign of consideration and politeness towards faster moving traffic.

You may behave that way but you cant speak on behalf of other cyclists. Plenty of bad examples. They are the ones I'm referring to btw.👌

On an average 2-3 hour ride I go on, on Sunday mornings in metropolitan Melbourne I have no need to claim a lane on my route except when turning right in a roundabout. Any driver behind me is held up by maybe 5-10 seconds

Good on you. You are obviously not the type of cyclist I am referring to. what is your problem?

Groups of riders will ride 2 abreast as again it is a more efficient and safe way for them to get around. It makes the group shorter (8 riders 2 abreast is probably no longer than a dual cab ute) so easier for a car to pass... when safe to do so.

2 abreast is legal. I have no problem with it as long as you are not "claiming the lane" and are riding in the courteous unselfish manner the way  you do. 👍

What has this got to do with our discussion?

I can't speak for all cyclist

you have been

but when I used to ride in groups of this size in the single lane roads of the Dandenong ranges, we would ride 2 abreast until we heard motor vehicles coming from behind and we would then go to a single file formation to make passing easier.

Then I am clearly not referring to you...

Edited by crisis

I'm considering going back onto the bike after suffering the afternoon congestion that starts somewhere around 4pm for simple trips and am thinking about getting one of those electric bikes (getting lazy, too!) and searching thru the various options and also need to get a high visibility outfit -  any hints, or suggestions?

Curiously, I find I'm more conscious of riders on the roads in the evenings and after dark, except on wet days and towards dusk when the sun gets in your eyes - unlike with cars, I do think the use of the bike's high intensity headlights during the day is a good thing and the flashing rear red lights are a godsend.  I like those pedal reflectors as they really do grab your attention

Reading thru this thread, it's a timely reminder to me that after driving for quite some years, I've just realized that I often DON'T look for bikes, etc when opening the driver's door on kerbside parking - I just glance around, quite casually and could easily miss a low visibility rider, especially those crazy fast messenger guys in the city - scooters and motor bikes seem to nearly all have headlights on in the daylight.

I've been lucky to not cause anyone any damage and it's a timely reminder that a lot of drivers like me that have ingrained habits could do with

58 minutes ago, HdB said:

need to get a high visibility outfit -  any hints, or suggestions?

Horses for courses. If you are riding in spring/summer only, your commute will be in daylight hours. This is where contrast is just as important as colour. For example, I only ever buy white helmets, I wear flouro or very light coloured jerseys or gillets (thin wind/rain resistent vests) and avoid black/grey or subdued coloured jerseys, black and white is good though. I use my lights day and night. Daylight lights need to be uber bright to be useful. When I used to commute in heavy traffic I also used a bright front and rear light on my helmet, as often cars approaching from the side may not notice you filtering past cars on the left or in a bike lane. The lights which are above your average sedan/wagon roof line are a great help in being spotted. At night reflectives are important in a busy environment, but lights are equally or more important. Bright clothing is of little use in the dark, this is where you need reflective sections to your clothing.

When commuting all year round before my kids were born and stuffed everything up xD, I would often choose to stay back a little and ride in the dark. I always felt more visible in the dark with quality lights than at dusk or as you said, riding into a rising or setting sun.

Edited by blybo

Thanks for your reply and info  - will get myself outfitted and 'lit-up' well.

I noticed that we do have a number of bike/walk tracks down the side of a number of the higher speed main roads but they disappear as you get further into the residential Waverley area so tracking thru the side streets needs a bit of planning and a 'bike tracks' map

1 hour ago, HdB said:

Thanks for your reply and info  - will get myself outfitted and 'lit-up' well.

I noticed that we do have a number of bike/walk tracks down the side of a number of the higher speed main roads but they disappear as you get further into the residential Waverley area so tracking thru the side streets needs a bit of planning and a 'bike tracks' map

Where do you need to go to? The Gardiners Creek trail can get you into the city and out Glen Waverley way if you want to keep off the roads initially. But there will the cycling commuter whacky races going on, it's a busy trail.

Yeah, I knew that one quite well when I used to pop into town - I think they've done some more work on it since then(about 5 years ago) at the city end and particularly around the river-side where it's very commercial.

The main aim is to just plod around the local area and for some shopping and such (Chadstone, Mt Waverley, Oakleigh, Malvern, etc) - it'll save starting up the car for short trips, but I know I'll get more adventurous after awhile in the better weather.

I'm also looking to go S/East from here (Chadstone side of Mt Waverley) out to the Monash Uni area,   maybe out to the Wantirna and Bayswater area too - I'm told that with some pedaling, these battery bikes can go maybe 50km or more - seems a lot from a single charge

There's not many good cheap ones available out there so far - the aged batteries replacements cost up to $500 but the sellers still ask for over 80% of new prices - probably better to talk direct to the retailers, I'm thinking.

I thought about getting a small/medium engine motor bike again but the "push" bikes just are more of a challenge and so much better for the health as you age (slowly, gracefully?!)

…   later

looks like council plans to put electric bikes now in melbourne CBD. am all for for electric bikes but why on earth do we need electric bikes in the cbd ? its flat as. are people so lazy cant pedal and why electric. seems a bit of a fad electric for electric sake. am pretty sure most bikes share in melbourne cmd is pretty short trip anyways. and now we are going to have ones with no charge parked here and there.

the level of danger though to both riders and pedestrians in the city also does unfortunately go up with these things. not really sure what is going to be done with regards all this ? 

WWW.THEAGE.COM.AU

Melbourne City Council will embark on a plan to get share bikes back on the streets of Melbourne, this time electronic versions.

With mandatory helmet laws in Australia, bike share schemes are just never going to work. You have got to either wear a helmet someone else has sweated into (yuck), carry your own helmet all of the time or ride without a helmet and risk the wrath of Mr Plod who will give you a hefty fine. The helmets on the share bikes are the first thing to be vandalised and thrown away. We've got the Lime bikes here in Sydney which are e-bikes and I'm noticing a lot have their battery packs stolen which renders the bike pretty useless.

I don't see though how the level of danger to both riders and pedestrians in the city goes up as you say? The top speed of 25 km'h is significantly lower than what the majority of people could ride on a non e-bike and surely the same laws will apply to a share bike as to an owned bike in that they can't be ridden on a footpath and the normal laws apply as they would to any cyclist so I can't see any safety issues here.

50 minutes ago, Hergest said:

With mandatory helmet laws in Australia, bike share schemes are just never going to work. You have got to either wear a helmet someone else has sweated into (yuck), carry your own helmet all of the time or ride without a helmet and risk the wrath of Mr Plod who will give you a hefty fine. The helmets on the share bikes are the first thing to be vandalised and thrown away. We've got the Lime bikes here in Sydney which are e-bikes and I'm noticing a lot have their battery packs stolen which renders the bike pretty useless.

I don't see though how the level of danger to both riders and pedestrians in the city goes up as you say? The top speed of 25 km'h is significantly lower than what the majority of people could ride on a non e-bike and surely the same laws will apply to a share bike as to an owned bike in that they can't be ridden on a footpath and the normal laws apply as they would to any cyclist so I can't see any safety issues here.

hi hergest, problem is if seen how these share bikes are used is that they tend to run footpaths and all over the city they arent being used in bike lanes or some such. in most cases with tourists and others you'd wonder if can even ride a bike let alone a powered electric one :D 

ps we usually take our bikes into city via the bike path but then park and then walk :) if we going further we usually walk our bikes around amongst the pedestrians as opposed to the loonies that tend to ride their share bikes through 😮 

as per your nsw experience I dont have a lot of hope for the electric bikes here. we couldn't manage bikes why will electric bikes work ? 

25km/hr is still enough to cause a bit of damage if you hit some one. I've seen an uptake of the e-scooters here in Brissy both the 2 hire schemes and people buying there own plus people are getting their own e-bikes. this makes sense as we have a few hills around the cbd and it gets too stupid hot to walk outside let alone spin a push bike. 

when you supply the power, speed comes with fitness and experience which usually brings a degree of courtesy and appropriate respect for risks.  I've seen too many new riders buzzing round with little regard for anyone else even if unintentional. lots of near misses. many riding with head phones on/in in there own wee world. 

I nearly got into blue with this hipster on a powered skateboard coming up the wrong side of the road to make a right-hand turn. "i'm on a skateboard!" was his excuse when I gave him a WFT dude?!?! 

On 03/12/2019 at 12:44 PM, betty boop said:

looks like council plans to put electric bikes now in melbourne CBD. am all for for electric bikes but why on earth do we need electric bikes in the cbd ? its flat as. are people so lazy cant pedal and why electric. seems a bit of a fad electric for electric sake. am pretty sure most bikes share in melbourne cmd is pretty short trip anyways. and now we are going to have ones with no charge parked here and there.

the level of danger though to both riders and pedestrians in the city also does unfortunately go up with these things. not really sure what is going to be done with regards all this ? 

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn Council plan to put e-bikes on the streets of Melbourne

WWW.THEAGE.COM.AU

Melbourne City Council will embark on a plan to get share bikes back on the streets of Melbourne, this time electronic versions.

There putting this out there to reduced the free tram rides :D

11 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

There putting this out there to reduced the free tram rides :D

am sure someone will try overtake a tram in one of these :D 

Just now, betty boop said:

am sure someone will try overtake a tram in one of these :D 

You can do that by walking, you don’t need a ebike.....😜

On 03/12/2019 at 12:14 PM, betty boop said:

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn Council plan to put e-bikes on the streets of Melbourne

WWW.THEAGE.COM.AU

We have electric hire scooters.... In the most nanny of all nanny states I'm am actually surprised the government allows this behavior. Unless its one of their mates who owns the business. I am waiting for the first death or serious injury (and I'm surprised there hasn't been one) for them to be summarily shut down.