Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Dangers of cycling

https://au.yahoo.com/news/cyclists-crash-after-ute-brakes-suddenly-in-victoria-053658541.html

driver being impatient 

cyclist pushing as hard as they can 

I thought if you’re in front you stay car lengths so you can stop safely,  looks like cyclist just didn’t care not realising the danger and stupidity of this overtaking impatient idiot.  

To me,  both cyclist and driver have no regard for anyone or there  own safety because the cyclists fall was fully avoidable.   

You assume anyone overtaking has no immediate intention to stop or dramatically slow. It does appear the driver was indicating to turn, maybe not early but at some point. I don't think the driver should have done the pass nor was there intentional malice but it also looks like a lack of expedience in 1 or 2 of those riders played a part, even needlessly taking his buddy out crossing wheels.

On 28/05/2019 at 5:34 PM, Addicted to music said:

https://au.yahoo.com/news/cyclists-crash-after-ute-brakes-suddenly-in-victoria-053658541.html

driver being impatient 

I thought if you’re in front you stay car lengths so you can stop safely,  looks like cyclist just didn’t care not realising the danger and stupidity of this overtaking impatient idiot.  

To me,  both cyclist and driver have no regard for anyone or there  own safety because the cyclists fall was fully avoidable.   

If the driver wants to overtake safely to continue at the posted speed limit he is not at fault. If the cyclists thinks the road is their race track thats their bad luck .

1 hour ago, crisis said:

If the driver wants to overtake safely to continue at the posted speed limit he is not at fault. If the cyclists thinks the road is their race track thats their bad luck .

And this is the thing, there are those who think that riding 2 a breast or in a pack is considered “safer”. It’s not!  It’s just as dangerous, clearly here the cyclists didn’t leave any safe braking space or riding too close to one another as a pack, so if one fall many will fall, it’s a domino effect!  

On 31/05/2019 at 9:25 PM, Addicted to music said:

And this is the thing, there are those who think that riding 2 a breast or in a pack is considered “safer”. It’s not!  It’s just as dangerous, clearly here the cyclists didn’t leave any safe braking space or riding too close to one another as a pack, so if one fall many will fall, it’s a domino effect!  

riding in a group has it's dangers, and it's benefits, but riding 2 abreast IS safer. Riding in a bunch is a skill, but that skill has to be learned, and to an extent, the only way to learn is to do it.

On 31/05/2019 at 7:46 PM, crisis said:

What this driver did was not safe. I'm not even sure if it is legal to turn from the opposite lane whilst overtaking. The safe and sensible thing to do would be to wait 2-3 seconds and turn from the left lane after the cyclist had passed the intersection. The cyclist were not racing, and were not braking any laws. This is just typical cyclist hating which I find so confusing and disappointing. But hey, it makes for great click bait. Please warn us before coming and driving around Melbourne if you think that was smart driving

On 28/05/2019 at 6:04 PM, Addicted to music said:

Why do you say that? The body language is of a group of cyclists cruising along at a leisurely pace.

I dont't understand this and it makes for a questionable precedent: 

Ms Brushett was on her phone as she crossed and failed to see Mr Hazeldean approaching.

He apparently sounded a horn to warn her, but the woman panicked and tried to retreat — however, in a split-second decision, the cyclist also swerved in her direction in an attempt to avoid her.

Mr Hazeldean was travelling at a maximum speed of 24 kilometres per hour at the time, and Ms Brushett was left with a minor head injury, which resulted in her legal claim for compensation.

Judge Mauger said even though the lights were on green for Mr Hazeldean, Ms Brushett had right of way

I would have thought the City could then be sued for installing traffic lights which were deceptive by appearing to assign "right of way",. A "reasonable assumption" which according to this verdict is not true. A class action against the City or the Motor Transport Dept........

Pedestrians crossing the road should take 100% of responsibility for their actions.

1 hour ago, wasabijim said:

I dont't understand this and it makes for a questionable precedent: 

Ms Brushett was on her phone as she crossed and failed to see Mr Hazeldean approaching.

He apparently sounded a horn to warn her, but the woman panicked and tried to retreat — however, in a split-second decision, the cyclist also swerved in her direction in an attempt to avoid her.

Mr Hazeldean was travelling at a maximum speed of 24 kilometres per hour at the time, and Ms Brushett was left with a minor head injury, which resulted in her legal claim for compensation.

Judge Mauger said even though the lights were on green for Mr Hazeldean, Ms Brushett had right of way

That decision sounds a lot like strict liability... which we don't have here. I don't warn pedestrians when passing them on shared paths for exactly this reason. There's a high probability they will panic and jump the wrong way, taking me out. Yes some get startled, but better than getting hit.

As the magistrate said that pedestrians ALREADY on the roadway have right of way I suspect that there's a LOT missing from the story.

Still, $184,00 in legal fees for a settlement of $7600 sounds a bit extreme! Maybe he should be suing his lawyer for not putting in a counter claim--although what would that cost?!

And of course being prepared for road users to act in "unexpected ways" seems inconsistent.

On 26/06/2019 at 1:14 PM, blybo said:

That decision sounds a lot like strict liability... which we don't have here. I don't warn pedestrians when passing them on shared paths for exactly this reason. There's a high probability they will panic and jump the wrong way, taking me out. Yes some get startled, but better than getting hit.

Stealth passing......:P

Now, if you’re in a country like China.........  😉

On 26/06/2019 at 9:51 AM, blybo said:

What this driver did was not safe. I'm not even sure if it is legal to turn from the opposite lane whilst overtaking.

Overtaking executed properly is as safe as anything to do with  driving. If you cant do that please warn me when you come to Adelaide. His turn on the other hand is indeed questionable.

The safe and sensible thing to do would be to wait 2-3 seconds and turn from the left lane after the cyclist had passed the intersection.

Another safe and sensible thing to do is to not use entire single lane roads as your personal race track.

The cyclist were not racing, and were not braking any laws.

They appeared to be and plenty do. But yes. For some reason racing bikes on public roads isn't illegal.

This is just typical cyclist hating which I find so confusing and disappointing.

I dont race bikes but I ride them. I probably dont consider myself a "cyclist" but I ride a bike. In any case the opposite is indeed alive and well within a certain sub culture of cyclists.

37 minutes ago, crisis said:

opposite is indeed alive and well within a certain sub culture of cyclists.

It’s really a matter of consequences. 

A cyclist who hates car drivers is going to have a really hard time causing any real problems. 

A car driver who hates cyclists is a very dangerous beast indeed