betty boop

Dangers of cycling

On 14/02/2019 at 2:15 PM, proftournesol said:

My wife fell off her bike yesterday, trying to ride around a car parked right in the middle of a sealed rail trail. The bike wheel dug into the soft gravel shoulder. Despite huge bruises and cuts, she got back on the bike and rode 3km into Wangaratta as she was trying to catch the train to Melbourne. By the time she arrived at Southern  Cross Station 3 hours later she couldn't weight bear, now she's in a hospital with a fractured pelvis! She reluctantly agreed to take some panadol.

I hope she makes a full recovery and be back on her bike. 

32 minutes ago, LHC said:

I hope she makes a full recovery and be back on her bike. 

Out of hospital today on crutches. 6 week recovery.

On 31/01/2019 at 3:27 PM, warweary said:

people who rage against cyclists far beyond reason to do so.

It is for this reason I no longer ride.

Internationally Australia rates high on the ladder in the country-by-country comparison for "hostile to cyclists".

Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery. I used to do some out there hiking in the Flinders and Gammon Ranges areas where I knew a woman who used a rock for the same purpose! Any suggestions for some music that would best take my mind away or maybe I'll just go for a ride!

12 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

It is for this reason I no longer ride.

Internationally Australia rates high on the ladder in the country-by-country comparison for "hostile to cyclists".

i think we rate high for agro on the road in general 

She's walking with forearm crutches and partial weight bearing. Still no driving and no riding yet. We are planning our next cycling holiday in Catalunya though😀

She's taken a total of 4 panadols. Tough, but silly

On 30/01/2019 at 10:59 PM, proftournesol said:

I still don't get why slowing down for a while behind a cyclist, group of cyclists, for a few seconds, even minutes, and then speeding up to resume your journey elicits such a degree of rage

I presume, (could be wrong) that out of the city, cars do tend to be a bit more patient as an overtaking opportunity is coming soon.

I think what some (many?) cyclists forget is that a city of millions relies of traffic movement to function properly. There are many in Sydney complaining about overcrowding and commute times. Syd is struggling to remain a place you want to live. The boredom and impatience of slow traffic leads to anger, road rage and possibly unpleasantness in the home.  In Syd car drivers are angry with car drivers, and studies and stats that commuting by bike is quicker, healthier, cleaner, cheaper than car is just irrelevant. The problem is "almost gridlock". As I see it, the problem is that on the odd occasion where traffic gets a chance to speed up only to find a cyclist taking the lane on a climb say, when many are running late and stressed, is the last thing they need, yet relatively rare, making the cyclist a focal point for airing frustration, not to mention an easy, vulnerable victim for an insult, at best. If the same hold-up was a line of cars behind a truck, "damn, oh well normal". Good cyclists climb in the 20kphs and 30-40 on the flat, slow cyclists like me are around 10kph climbing and mid 20s on the flat, must be agonising for cars behind me. Trucks often go up hills around 50kph.

My cycling is never commuting to work, always on some training roads (Bobbin Head, West Head) mainly because I'm a coward.

Anyway I am trying to explain that the car frustration at cyclists, isn't only about cyclists, but about the city's commuting problem, over an hour to go 20km is not unusual.