betty boop

Dangers of cycling

I commute to work most weeks, and while some earlier altercations (bus cut me off, driver didnt even realised he knocked me off my bike ! ) has me no longer riding on roads...I am still on the bike confronted at times with motorists...cars, trucks, vans busses that scare the cr@p out of me !

most recently, noticed a drivers behavior...where looking in a completely different direction to direction pointed and direction moving off with gusto when put his foot on the pedal....these drivers dont even look where they are going ! 

reminded me just how helpless as cyclists can be. you are just not even seen or noticed. and I ride with hi-vis, lit up like a christmas tree, not riding in pitch darkness etc. still feel am not seen ! 

noticed in the news recently of the dooring of a cyclist in the city, by someone just hopping out a cab opening the door on her

got captured on camera and the hoopla that followed,

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/cyclists-use-of-helmet-cameras-requires-restraint-20140320-355h1.html

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cyclistdooring-man-not-proud-of-reaction-20140319-352r5.html

cyclist lucky in that case, didnt get knocked under other traffic, but gee it just reminds me, people dont even see you when on a bike !  

Sponsor

It's risky, no doubt about it. I try to ride only in non-peak times and away from main roads as much as possible. You're no safer in a group these days either. 

Hence I ride off-road more than on! 

I've nearly been knocked off my bike numerous times, more often it is when I'm in a marked bike lane. On the occasions I've chased down the driver and let them know, the response is usually along the lines of "I didn't see you" (as in I didn't do it on purpose so it would have been OK to kill you) and I've never had a single apology despite a (usually) polite approach from me.

It reminds me of the saying that there are 2 types of cyclists, those who have been knocked off their bike, and those who will be.

Don't suppose you have seen the latest TopGear (Series 21 ep 5) - some funny stuff re this the guys were asked to do "cycling safety advertisements "

Clarkson's slogan - "work hard, earn money and get a car " :)

Edited by Chill3

On the occasions I've chased down the driver and let them know, the response is usually along the lines of "I didn't see you" (as in I didn't do it on purpose so it would have been OK to kill you) and I've never had a single apology despite a (usually) polite approach from me.

It reminds me of the saying that there are 2 types of cyclists, those who have been knocked off their bike, and those who will be.

We call it a SMIDSY (Sorry Mate I Didn't See You). I've been knocked off my bike by a car failing to give way once. Luckily there was no traffic in the next lane as that where my bike and I landed.

However we perceive the risk of cycling on road, it's still statistically safer than riding on shared bike/walking paths. The vast majority of my mates have been hit by cars, sometimes at high speed, but they are all still here and still cycling. I believe the average fatality a year for cyclists is around 15 Australia wide. Considering 10% of peak hour vehicles entering Melbournes CBD these days are bicycles, it's a pretty low number, we just get scared more often as we know how vulnerable we are.

Don't suppose you have seen the latest TopGear (Series 21 ep 5) - some funny stuff re this the guys were asked to do "cycling safety advertisements "

Clarkson's slogan - "work hard, earn money and get a car " :)

That was actually very favorable to cyclists once you got past the obvious humor. And he obviously didn't use the chamois cream correctly :lol:

We call it a SMIDSY (Sorry Mate I Didn't See You). I've been knocked off my bike by a car failing to give way once. Luckily there was no traffic in the next lane as that where my bike and I landed.

However we perceive the risk of cycling on road, it's still statistically safer than riding on shared bike/walking paths. The vast majority of my mates have been hit by cars, sometimes at high speed, but they are all still here and still cycling. I believe the average fatality a year for cyclists is around 15 Australia wide. Considering 10% of peak hour vehicles entering Melbournes CBD these days are bicycles, it's a pretty low number, we just get scared more often as we know how vulnerable we are.

How is it statistically safer on the road than on a shared walk/bike path on a typical Melbourne street that have dedicated bike paths? A car door getting open on a bike rider will potentially course a real injury and damage to a bike.

Because there are no dogs off lead or iPod wearing girls walking on the wrong side of the road. If you road craft is well honed you should never get doored. I've never been and have spent a few years riding 20km's each way through inner Melbourne. I don't ride in the "door zone" and am happy to make cars change lanes to get around me rather than try to let them squeeze by...

Edited by blybo

Regardless of how careful you going to be as a cyclist, it will not protect you against a motorist that for what ever reason is distracted.

More cars  more bikes and more mobile phones = some one really Fu@ked up!

Although i feel less safe riding on Sydney's roads now i'm older, my only serious collisions involving cars were back in the UK when i was younger. T-boned once by an old dear one dreary December evening that made a banana of my lovely Peugeot frame and gave me a few head scars to impress the girls, and me misjudging my speed going down a steep country road and ploughing into the back of a slow driver. It's easy to think things are getting worse as cities here grow so quickly but a lot of it i think is heightened awareness in the media and the existence of internet forums these days.

I get far less of the prat leaning out of the window to shout as they go passed here than i ever did in England. 

Edited by Hergest