HALCRO is back!

• Administrator

I have been aware of this little secret for some time, and know what the guys have gone through in order to make this a reality.
I'm personally excited about what is in store for Halcro, and pleased to see some future for the brand.

Read the article here: http://www.stereo.net.au/articles/news/exclusive-aussie-hi-fi-icon-halcro-is-back/

• Like 7

A $72K+ power amplifier and $29k+ pre-amp were always going to be a hard sell for the local market...I wouldn't be surprised if they pitch to the more affordable end of the price spectrum, hopefully starting out by taking over the PS Audio Perfect Wave power amplifier project and giving it the Halcro treatment.

• Like 1

Does this mean that Magenta Audio now own all of the Halcro IP ?

Halcro added a lot of credibility to the Australian Audio Industry so it's great to see them back to do it all again ;)

regards

Yes Lemnoc. We own all of Halcro's IP and have some of the former key members back on board. Thanks for your kind words :)

Would a Halcro Integrated amp be too much to hope for?

Integrated amp as in an amp with onboard audio decoding and processing? I doubt it very much...I'd be surprised if they did anything more than power amps and pre-amps, certainly to start with. To do anything else they'd need to rely on an OEM platform and give that the Halcro treatment, which would be a complex project with plenty of competition in that space. Where their technology had very few equals was in extremely low distortion amps and pre-amps, particularly dm series, and their MC series was no slouch either. If there are a bunch of ex-stock MC power amps ready to go that would be a good opening move for them, I'd grab one myself if I didn't already have one!

A good start would be to build products that don't cost an arm and a leg to begin with.

That would widen your potential market. 

The Audiophile market is very small to begin with and potentially shrinking year on year, making products that are north of $15K per component is just going to make it that much harder to find customers.

Edited by Sir Triode

Halcro have a proven history, and I can't imagine any other brand being out of production for this long and yet still be top of mind for many Aussies (and globally I'm sure). This is awesome news Mike, good to see the brand is now in good hands. I'm looking forward to what's ahead. 

• Like 1

I was thinking more of an integrated amp as a future addition to the MC series.  Personally I don't care much for integrated amps with DACs built in, not disliking them as such I just don't think it's a necessary addition in most cases (and it is often used as more of a marketing gimmick than anything else).  

What I would love to see is a keenly priced Halcro Integrated that could act as a "powerful and pure" introduction to the brand (or maybe as an alternative to the pre/pwr offerings for those who are not financially fluid enough to consider them as an option).  Maybe it'll happen and maybe it won't but I can dream about it all the same.

Really though I'm just happy that they're back.

• Like 1

• Administrator

A good start would be to build products that don't cost an arm and a leg to begin with.

That would widen your potential market. 

The Audiophile market is very small to begin with and potentially shrinking year on year, making products that are north of $15K per component is just going to make it that much harder to find customers.

I think you're spot on with this @@Cafad. I think the opportunity now exists with mediums such as StereoNET, to "crowd-source" the ideas and hear from actual, perspective customers what they want and for a brand like Halcro to take that on-board.

I look forward to watching once the design team kicks into full swing and starts toying with the new designs and creations.

Digital input, Multi-channel Amp with full DSP built-in - just the ticket for the DIY types :) I'm not typical of the majority of the market however of course :)

• Like 2

A good start would be to build products that don't cost an arm and a leg to begin with..

...as well as have a locally made product that costs less to buy here than elsewhere. It was cheaper to buy a new Australian made Halcro amp in the US and ship it back to Australia than paying local RRP.

I know they were working on new products when they went kaput, and that didn't include a new processor. What they were working on I don't know. I don't see the point of a multi-channel pre/power amp combo in a single chassis, but a stereo version would be interesting, especially if you mate it with a PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

• Like 1