Zammo's Man Cave

Looking good Zammo, what have you organized viz a viz power? 3Phase? A dedicated fuse / line for the man cave?

3 Phase? Ha ha. Need a bit of power, but not quite that much. Yes, though, on the dedicated circuit for the man cave. Shed load of power outlets required, as all speakers are active from SGR. Deposit down on a set of MT3.2's for stereo, doubling as front left and right for HT. Looking at a 7.2 system all up for HT. Subcontractor for AV/security is Soundcon, based close by in Clifton Hill. They'll be organising all conduits & cabling in the cave, in addition to heaps of other stuff for the house (keyless entry, alarm system, POE video cameras, etc.) Edited by Zammo
  • Like 2

3 Phase? Ha ha. Need a bit of power, but not quite that much. Yes, though, on the dedicated circuit for the man cave. Shed load of power outlets required, as all speakers are active from SGR. Deposit down on a set of MT3.2's for stereo, doubling as front left and right for HT. Looking at a 7.2 system all up for HT. Subcontractor for AV/security is Soundcon, based close by in Clifton Hill. They'll be organising all conduits & cabling in the cave, in addition to heaps of other stuff for the house (keyless entry, alarm system, POE video cameras, etc.)

Now your talking my language Zammo, get those cameras as IP cams that you can monitor on your mobile phone, lovely way to go.

• Like 1

if we get invaded im going to hide in your man cave....good work

No worries mate. Nuclear, zombie and Alien proof. Everything a man cave should be.......oh, and some fine tunes and comfy chairs. :) Edited by Zammo
  • Like 1

Worked out a cabling plan with the AV contractor. Rather than conduits, we're just going to wire all balanced cables through the walls via wall plates without connectors (i.e. just a face plate with a hole) - so direct from AV processor to active speakers, with power outlet at each speaker point. Only conduits will be two at the rear of the room where I may eventually put another two subs. Projector will be ceiling mounted with power point, HDMI cable (Audioquest Forest) wired direct from AV processor through wall/ceiling, and ethernet cable wired direct. Arguments against direct wiring are obviously more of a hassle to change cables at future point in time, but I've been using the interconnects in my current system for around 20 years now, so won't be in any hurry to change. We've chosen Audioquest Red River (good price mid range cables), and there will be some pretty long throws for front speakers/subs, as AV processor will be at rear. Balanced obviously a good choice in that regard.

Edited by Zammo
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

AV contractor finished rough-ins today. Bundle on the floor is unterminated Audioquest Red River interconnect cable for 7.4 speaker set up (black), 10m Audioquest Forest HDMI cable (white) and backup Ethernet cable (green) for ceiling mounted projector.

6ffa5176a81c8d9dc8d5f26fc83467d3.jpg

Not too out of control, unlike the photo of our Ethernet hub below, which has gone from spaghetti fest to noodle mania.

38515d7c57e71c4f86c2e8ef52f56733.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bundle of spaghetti above now looks like this.

e9bf4193095546718d5b2fd71f94c7ed.jpg

Wasn't our builders that terminated everything so short, but some pr!cks who decided to help themselves overnight to some copper cable. Terminated all the power cables short at switchboard as well. Most of it will need complete rewiring. I do love the human race sometimes.......

damn pr ! cks

i walked into a pair of thieving bastards trying to steal the bifold doors when my place was getting built

its to be expected unfortunately and with copper, man that doesnt stay around for too long at all these days

I cannot believe such a small amount is worth it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site manager reckons they'll get about $150 for the copper. Insurance claim will be significant thousands for all the new wiring, labour and lost time. F$&@ing frustrating.

what a pain ! did the hdmi cables get cropped as well ?

what a waste

Luckily they stayed out of the man cave itself, so all the Audioquest interconnects and HDMI untouched. Must have been too scary for the pr!cks down there.

Site manager reckons they'll get about $150 for the copper. Insurance claim will be significant thousands for all the new wiring, labour and lost time. F$&@ing frustrating.

Yeah, if only you could just pay the @&%#*'s what they net and be done with it, instead of having to put up with the hassles that result from their actions.  I had the interior of a new car totally vandalized about 12 years ago at 4.30 pm in a city car-park where  was parked right next to the lift.  The reason was to grab the oem Clarion stereo/TV unit.  Probably netted the druggie perpetrator around $200 max, but the repairs cost the insurance company in excess of $8000.

Driving home that night with blood (he obviously cut himself in the process) and glass all over the seat, no instruments, no indicators and a smashed side window was one of my most unpleasant memories.  The car should've been towed, but I wasn't being logical or sensible at the time. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Currently wired for 7.4 for HT (likely start with just 2 subwoofers though) - all active speakers. AV contractor is going to pre-wire speaker cable to ceiling for 7.4.4 for Atmos. If I do put ceiling speakers in at some point, will be passive, so obviously will need a 4 channel power amp to add to the mix. Not in a rush to go Atmos at this stage, and may not even purchase an Atmos enabled pre-pro initially, but good to have speaker cable in for future use.

Edited by Zammo

• 1 month later...

We have plasterboard!

f6f0194af714f7c80e8d51ce3ab3bac8.jpg

1fb409b4f0eb1f30f46e19c03affa8ea.jpg

Small bulkhead at entry (I.e. Back) of man cave is for ducts for ventilation. A grill at each end where 200mm ducts will terminate to be added.812ef3719c0e5f4415176e05780f8de1.jpg

85kg studio zone acoustic door has been hung. Bloody thick

9eabfede2305dc1b3ebfa1f4bb3a5b9e.jpg

Hinges were supplied by door manufacturer. Four required to take weight of door and very heavy gauge screwed into hardwood frame.

886f0363105d2c2565930a8f76bc7baa.jpg

Door surround has a double sealing system that will be installed with hardware. Probably over engineered for residential purposes, but why not!

88156b90a7be69900a41097888dbb8ce.jpg

Edited by Zammo
  • Like 3

Coming along nicely Zammo. When it's finished I can see you posting some nice db scores in the.....How loud do you listen etc......" section.

Be disappointed if >110dB is not achieved fairly early in my endeavours. ;)

also be interested to hear the background noise level, would be pretty quiet I expect

That was definitely one of the aims Frankn. Low background noise will allow listening at lower volumes, so dual benefit.

One thing I didn't note was that this plasterboard is only the first layer. On the floor at the front of the room are multiple rolls of Quietwave membrane. All plasterboard (including ceiling and bulkhead) will be covered with a layer (6mm thick) of this, then another 10mm layer of plasterboard attached. The back wall which abuts the living spaces will have two quietwave plasterboard sandwiches separated by insulation in the stud work. Floor then gets a thick carpet.

Currently clap test is pretty poor. Expect a big difference once quietwave goes in.

Edited by Zammo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty grainy dark pics of cave at present. Plastering complete and stopped, sparky has located all wiring for lighting and AV connections.

View from entry door:

02ee04a98d3217d872633be781819149.jpg

View from within:

4f3216d8f65ab3d568155a4bfa8587a8.jpg

Will be painted this week. Projector screen wall in black, remaining walls in a mid-charcoal. All flat finish. Carpet will be grey and fairly plush. HT seats in red leather much to my architects horror, but I thought the room needed a bit of colour.

• Like 2