Sign in to follow this  
blybo

My family room "budget" system

Well I decided that I didn't have enough white in my room. Truth be known, my original black pair had some minor damage in transit so we're always going to be replaced when these became available again.

e295c248a04775604f70110b1b8f99d0.jpg

Have decided to keep the Elektra gear. Just too good unless an outstanding integrated amp at silly price becomes available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are those reasonably priced open baffle that i might look at trying in the kids room at some stage.

Any view on the sound and what signature they are.

If you consider AUD $4k reasonably priced. These are the M3 Turbo S model, so bigger than@Luc's M4's... You cant buy directly from Spatial, have to buy from McLeans in Gosford.

They do produce excellent bang for buck though and easily beat my previous Focal 826w 30th Anniversary edition that use the mid and bass drivers from the Elektra and Utopia ranges.

Sound signature... close to full range, easy to drive despite me throwing over 200wpc at them... and I'd say neutral to slightly warm, certainly not harsh, but still offering top end sparkle and rough edge to trumpet when required to do so... as they should.

They equally like low or high volumes and being professional drivers are built like tanks. The bang for buck comes from the baffle being made from HDF with a matt finish... its not a high grade finish and if you look closely you can see minor imperfections... However the previous M1 & M2 were hugely more expensive with timber veneers.

They do need to be 1m from the back wall to bring out the best bass response. Mine are getting no side boundary bass boost as around 1.6m from side walls yet I have not felt the need to have my sub on ever since getting them. It's still connected but switched off at the wall.

I would certainly like to listen to a pair of these.

Given high sensitivity 200 watts is a bit overkill.

Open Baffle are higly critical of placement.Better than focal is  so you are winning. Iam sure they would go very low, just need the right placement.As for the treble good to hear you don't loose much if any with not having a tweeter.

IMG_2800.thumb.JPG.4374f883457f26a96d8fd3b2c7e92985.JPG

The white pair definitely look better in your room. :) 

One of the better OB speakers I've heard and great value for the money. 

Sound-wise they don't do much wrong, well designed speakers. :thumb:

I would certainly like to listen to a pair of these.

Given high sensitivity 200 watts is a bit overkill.

Open Baffle are higly critical of placement.Better than focal is  so you are winning. Iam sure they would go very low, just need the right placement.As for the treble good to hear you don't loose much if any with not having a tweeter.

Tweeter/compression driver... call it what you will. If you weren't aware, there is a high frequency compression that handles everything above 800hz sitting in the "throat" of that top bass driver, and uses the bass cones shape as it's waveguide.

I think they go down to about 30hz, but current placement is all I can get away with whilst keeping domestic harmony. She wanted the white colour, and whilst I like it for looking more like industrial design, I would prefer red.

Funnily enough, even though these are brand new, they are still very good, just need the bass to flesh out a bit compared to the previous ones which must have had a good 300+ hours, as I used them with the TV a lot when I first got them to help top up the run in hours.

1 hour ago, blybo said:

If you consider AUD $4k reasonably priced. These are the M3 Turbo S model, so bigger than@Luc's M4's... You cant buy directly from Spatial, have to buy from McLeans in Gosford.

They do produce excellent bang for buck though and easily beat my previous Focal 826w 30th Anniversary edition that use the mid and bass drivers from the Elektra and Utopia ranges.

Sound signature... close to full range, easy to drive despite me throwing over 200wpc at them... and I'd say neutral to slightly warm, certainly not harsh, but still offering top end sparkle and rough edge to trumpet when required to do so... as they should.

They equally like low or high volumes and being professional drivers are built like tanks. The bang for buck comes from the baffle being made from HDF with a matt finish... its not a high grade finish and if you look closely you can see minor imperfections... However the previous M1 & M2 were hugely more expensive with timber veneers.

They do need to be 1m from the back wall to bring out the best bass response. Mine are getting no side boundary bass boost as around 1.6m from side walls yet I have not felt the need to have my sub on ever since getting them. It's still connected but switched off at the wall.

Yup, these are the bigger model but you can buy direct from Spatial as I did via a third party. At the time when I bought mine they weren't available in Oz and the distributor wasn't exactly pushing the brand.

Placement is critical and I'm lucky in that I have a dedicated listening room and no furniture or wife impediments to bow too so I get to put them where ever I like and it's surprising what you can hear when you move them about.

I even tried them facing away from me directly and facing away from me directionally to left and right extremes. I've placed books under them and had them firing up to the ceiling while I'm downstairs and the SQ barrelling down the stairwell is amazing. I can only compare it to those amazing underfloor horn systems.

I don't think they go low at all to be perfectly honest, I've heard better bass issuing from box speakers than these. There are plenty of threads on other sites about using subs with OB's.

For my listening needs these do the business, I don't listen to movies or TV through them so can't relate anything in that direction. They certainly require a very very long run in time(imo) and they are dead easy to drive. A little 45 year old 20w AU-2900 drives them nicely as would a flea amp I'm thinking. Earle's Topaz kinda yawns when I turn it on to drive them...'Gimme a challenge!' It's saying as 45w class A is just not needed.

Quite happy with them for the moment at this stage of the journey.

@Luc, yours have twin 12" drivers, mine have twin 15" and I find a sub makes sfa difference for the vast majority of my music collection.

I have mine on herbies sliders and have little silver stickers on the floor indicating exact position. I've played with positions quite a bit and happy where I'm at, I guess I could possibly get more bass by coming further off the wall, but 1m is fine.

Yes my amp is probably overkill but that's a good thing, and what I already owned.

I'd like to try one of Earls integrated designs... but probably a side or backward step from Elektra 2ch gear.

the white looks the part in your setup fitting in well. but I could see how red could do it as well. congrats ! :)

2 hours ago, blybo said:

@Luc, yours have twin 12" drivers, mine have twin 15" and I find a sub makes sfa difference for the vast majority of my music collection.

I have mine on herbies sliders and have little silver stickers on the floor indicating exact position. I've played with positions quite a bit and happy where I'm at, I guess I could possibly get more bass by coming further off the wall, but 1m is fine.

Yes my amp is probably overkill but that's a good thing, and what I already owned.

I'd like to try one of Earls integrated designs... but probably a side or backward step from Elektra 2ch gear.
You reckon,really?.

Each to their own I think.

@Luc... not critical or knocking Earles gear, but Arthur's gear is considered world class too, and terrific bang for buck despite the $8k-ish new entry price

2 hours ago, blybo said:

Not a backward step at all but a completely different sound.

I can actually organise for you to hear some Earle amps and pre combo if you would like though I thought it was discounted due the open tubes.

I would have thought something like that Leben integrated for sale would be better suited if you ended up going down that path as it's fully enclosed. (That is if you decided to explore tubes further, nothing wrong with the Elektra gear though.)

Let's not forget the Elektra pre is also a tube design.
@Martykt girls are getting to an age where exposed tubes could be considered

Just now, blybo said:

Let's not forget the Elektra pre is also a tube design.
@Martykt girls are getting to an age where exposed tubes could be considered

I didn't forget.

A full tube setup is a very different thing to what the Elektra combination sounds like.

The Elektra combo still has more of a class ab ss sound signature to its sound.

You'll get what I mean when you come down to Berwick when time allows. 

I had Earles Time Machine pre at my place.

a very fine sounding pre indeed, with my rig it sounded very close to the Elektra. It did everything right but with a tad more meat in it. Not much in it though. Of course YMMV.

for me the deal breaker was the exposed tubes only because of the way I'm setup.

6 minutes ago, joz said:

a very fine sounding pre indeed, with my rig it sounded very close to the Elektra. It did everything right but with a tad more meat in it. Not much in it though. Of course YMMV.

for me the deal breaker was the exposed tubes only because of the way I'm setup.

You make room by getting rid of that Supertech that's occupying double shelves!  :D:thumb:   It's called permanent compromise!   :P

26 minutes ago, joz said:

Compared with the new pre, or the 1 I have now?

43 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

You make room by getting rid of that Supertech that's occupying double shelves!  :D:thumb:   It's called permanent compromise!   :P

Gone

18 minutes ago, blybo said:

Compared with the new pre, or the 1 I have now?

Yours, oh and it doesn't come standard with a HT bypass.

Well, in a couple months I'll have a gtg at my place and youse'll be able to compare the Elektra and a Topaz KT 120 side by side. 

Slight update required here:

White Rel S3 sub: added (hiding in the rhs corner out of picture)

Elektra Pre & Power: Gone

Audiolab CD/DAC: Gone

Ray Samuels Nighthawk F117 phono pre: Gone

Cullen Modded Sonos Connect: In storage (can't bring myself to get rid of it...)

1x Isotek and various power and interconnects: Gone

Cheap Freedom Furniture AV cabinet: Gone

All replaced by a humble Moon Neo Ace all in one integrated and a new entertainment unit from Nick Scali. Yes I've probably sacrificed some SQ but I've got the family using the system more often as they are less intimidated by it and my Harmony remote does all switching/volume etc and the Moon Mind app on smart phone handles all DNLA streaming as well as Tidal pretty damned well. Roon integration would make it sensational so fingers crossed as has been on their radar for some time.

Apologies, the new phone's camera take large photo files. Will get more photos once I have the cabling and power board off the floor.

image.thumb.png.64758d30f168a08cdb52b1656e37b840.png

Edited by blybo

Now upgraded to a Pro-Ject 2 Xperience SB

439f7b6cba41325e8f1163408e4f38d4.jpg
f3d4e96d068a34c8b777d1770cfd1915.jpg
c21c574312b4f3e721162760d17633d5.jpg

I’ve also put my isotek power board behind the Sonos amp which powers our alfresco speakers but will eventually drill a hold in the back of 1 of the cupboards and put it in there

Looks very neat and stylish.

12 minutes ago, joz said:

Looks very neat and stylish.

Well, WAF was what I was after and something easy enough to use to get the family using it. So far that’s been a moderate success, but wife just hates having music above speaking volume when the family is together, and she hates 2 of my favorite artists, Melody Gardot and a blast from the past Fairground Attraction. Seems any female singer that can reach high notes is frowned upon. Sort of rules out Bjork too :emot-bang:.

I have a family free day today but too much Christmas preparations in the garden to enjoy the system

Not much change to the system for over 12 months... must be some type of record. Anyway here is an update shot showing a new rug (much nicer), better perspective of how far the speakers are into the room, and the Rel S3 sitting in the corner

image.png.55b10465d1030131d17d323d88a4b116.png