My family room "budget" system

The best analogy I can come up with is that it all sounds effortless now. The pre has certainly added some dynamics and more bass weight overall. Still a very detailed sound considering it's a tube pre, but perhaps a shade more laid back than the Arcam it has replaced.

You are welcome to visit them @@joz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by blybo
  • Like 2

The best analogy I can come up with is that it all sounds effortless now. The pre has certainly added some dynamics and more bass weight overall. Still a very detailed sound considering it's a tube pre, but perhaps a shade more laid back than the Arcam it has replaced.

You are welcome to visit them @@joz

May need to.

It's like the kids leaving home. They were part of the family.

They did so many things right in my system.

• Like 1

1 month on and a lot has happened. I've just acquired an Elektra pre and done a bit of a re-arrange, looks lovely with its stable mate

e3a71dfe394d2b3acc2da1f4711d34e3.jpg

I'm going to make a mini rack to separate the Cullen Sonos, Nighthawk phono pre and Apple TV

fc158311dc65e07b19483435560ebd35.jpg

c78c0e307c34f0ed705ce74b7cfb1b68.jpg

9060acb9160bf705ddce1cfc608afca3.jpg

b1e0172a63532c5301c3c17c5129e5c6.jpg

Very happy with this system now. Not sure there is really anything to upgrade in the short/medium term

gorgeous...the elektra focal match is a very nice one, can just imagine it sounds just lovely together :)

Now very happy with the sound. I've got an opportunity tonight to crank the gear. 2Ch whilst I have dinner and pack for a quick trip, and HT room once I'm sorted for the night.

The only thing I think I'd change now is furniture related. I might do a qubeloc similar to yours for now and then get a nice blackwood cabinet when the girls are a bit older.

• Like 1

May need to.

It's like the kids leaving home. They were part of the family.

They did so many things right in my system.

Hey Joz, welcome any time. Have you run XLR vs RCA comparisons? Are they a truly balanced design? My Dac also has balanced out so just wondering if there would be any gains... except extra gain... ;)

Give a try but as I mentioned elsewhere, in my case it was mainly like swapping any other I/Cs.

But it's not an exxy exercise unless you go for unobtanium type cables.

Not sure though if they are true balanced, I may have to check with Arthur.

I think I have a bad xlr, tried last night but right channel got no sound, fine with RCA.

have you swapped around the xlrs to narrow down if a cable issue ? especially if cheaper band shop ones they dont even solder these . have had that happen with one of them where loose connection and then discovered its just a loose crimp. returned those and never to buy again ! 

have you swapped around the xlrs to narrow down if a cable issue ? especially if cheaper band shop ones they dont even solder these . have had that happen with one of them where loose connection and then discovered its just a loose crimp. returned those and never to buy again !

Not as yet, I'm currently near the Swiss/Italian boarder. I left 42 degrees to come to minus 4 [emoji944]

• 3 months later...

Millionaires budget ;)

Second hand as per almost everything in the system. Actually the Cullen Sonos Conect is the only thing now that was bought at retail. Audiolab cd/DAC was new but at 2nd hand pricing.

hmmm ... for trial or to stay ? :)

yep sure moved past "budget" a while back !

We'll see what SWMBO says. I've got them over a meter into the room now listening to Melody Gardot. Sublime but can't be left so far off the back wall which may get old pretty quickly. Can't believe that I've got at least 20% more volume gain on the pre amp for roughly same output of my Focals. Previous owner was running off a Primaluna tube integrated. I think they are signing better with Elektra oomph behind them.

These speakers cost exactly half what my Focals did so I've actually cheapened the system [emoji12]. They are different, not better or worse. If I only listened to jazz/singer song writer type stuff the Maggies would win, but the Focals have it for rock or complicated pieces. Surprising as Maggies are always talked about as being so fast.

Will need a mod to edit my original heading, too old now for me to change.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1