Sign in to follow this  
blybo

My family room "budget" system

nevemuza.jpg

eva8emeg.jpg

e4ysy6u2.jpg

ydyzyqaz.jpg

ebada8yb.jpg

Finally dragged the TT out of the HT room to somewhere it will get used more. For some reason I don't feel comfortable isolated away in the ht room listening to music alone. Music should be shared IMHO so this will do for now. Amp is a Peachtree Nova125, hidden Sonos Connect, luxman dz121 CDP, foxtel iq2 and a Connoisseur kit TT my old man built. They are also sitting on a Denon 4306 AVR which is simply helping to hide the birds nest of cables. Until our kids are older we have decided not to buy expensive furniture of any description.

Edited by betty boop

come together nicely blybo...I agree music should be shared :) I know what you mean with the "isolated away" "listening to music alone" something felt too with the last "music room" I had some nearly 10 years ago. my listening in a shared space now too.

glad enjoying the system and great been able to integrate in a pretty nice family space :)

Thanks Al. Quite happy for now but will eventually upgrade everything over time. Chasing a more detailed sound as funds permit. Speakers are on permanent "loan" from my parents so they will be the biggest hurdle to upgrade

Will take dslr photos in daylight.

Edited by blybo

Nice one blybo. I also like having my stereo in the living room so music is something the whole family shares.

Thanks Monty. I'm looking forward to some extra tidying up of all the cables etc in the short term. I'll also be looking for a white-ish base for the TT from my local stone/slate yard.

Last night I refurbished my lava lamp too. The fluid had gone clear but a couple of drops of blue food dye and a big gulp of faith to open the bottle and all looks good. Will take shots of that in action later tonight

Tidying up cables in the short term sounds ambitious to me. I might get round to that when I've finished tidying the kids' shite, so hopefully sometime in the mid- 2020s.

Top work on the lava lamp. Were you listening to the ABC radio coverage of the cricket from South Africa when they had a little diversion about lava lamps and fondu sets? The gist was that it's remarkable how many households still have these things tucked away somewhere.

7asu6uza.jpg

Fluid looks much more blue in real life but taupe feature wall sucks up colours. May need to add 1 more drop of food colouring.

Nice one blybo. I also like having my stereo in the living room so music is something the whole family shares.

Me too. Admittedly sometimes they get to share it regardless of whether or not they want to.

Little bit of an update and reshuffle of shelving

post-125918-139656602998_thumb.jpg

The Peachtree Audio Nova 125 is gone and in comes an Arcam FMJ A28. I've also pulled my 2 piece shelving unit to its narrowest configuration and hidden the cable birds nest with my small but growing vinyl collection. Speakers are creeping forward mm by mm over time ;-). Just need to get a longer interconnect for Foxtel to hide that cable. This has also enabled me to send the old Denon AVR4306 upstairs for a less cluttered look. I've now got 2 quality AVRs sitting upstairs and need to decide which one to move on to help fund a new CD player...

Oh yeah, went to the local stone mason yesterday and got a white-ish piece of marble cut to the width of my TT, again just to allow me to place the TT a bit closer to the TV and reduce width of shelving.

Edited by blybo

So I have an Audiolab CD8200 winging it's way to me from Sydney today or tomorrow... And I made the stupid mistake of just swapping my main L&R from my HT room into the family room. Big mistake...

Now I'll be on the lookout for some floor standing speakers to give me the bass AND top end sparkle I'm missing from my Whatmough's... :ph34r:

Arcam has less power/gain but more neutral sound. Was simply a synergy thing. I swapped amps with another member and then bought the Audiolab cd to gain the inboard dac I'd lost by giving up the Peachtree

I also really wanted dual speaker outputs

This family room system is causing no end of grief in extracting decent bass out of my Whatmough's which should be capable of more. Volumes are typically pretty low because of WAF and her fear of waking children or having to raise her voice to talk to me.

I've played with position and found a nice compromise using some boundary gain by having rear of the (front ported) speakers some 40cm's from the rear wall. If I move them out imaging becomes more 3d like and pin point but at the loss of bass response. Here's the floorplan of the house

House%2Blayout.gif

It's a big space and the hall is around 1.6m wide so quite a big area for sound to disappear down. The system is on the northern wall of the living room. The formal lounge/dining is now closed off to the hall and has been renovated to be our ht room with a door on the eastern wall near the living room window. I have also used my Focal 826w's in the living room to see if it was just the speakers, but even the Focals struggle in that large expanse.

I'll take some further photos of the system in it's current guise with Audiolab 8200CD and power amp in place.

Edited by blybo

4d88510eae914b5ee53168effdef0c34.jpg

ad1d976150b2a3ea07d4af45a7e7a6b0.jpg

c18432ce0bf26c1a9d6beea5f4a6bc9a.jpg

ce33ede229886386b1e8d93a94c23078.jpg

25261e1727e57dc23b410646832c2cbb.jpg

db3aa898e8625d2916a79ec687aa94ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by blybo