Sign in to follow this  
genkifd

Musical Reciever for around $4k

A cheap AVR that has the specs but not the power and using it as a pre amp is also an option.

Especially since prepros are relatively expensive for what they are -- probably a combination of low-volume costs and targeting a fatter-pursed market.

Nearly every review of the arcam 750 indicates it contains a class a amp. Dont know why you guys would say it isnt. 

Because 20W of Class A absorbs a lot of power and runs quite hot. 140W of Class A (spread over 7 channels) would require a decent fan and large heatsinks and consume heaps of power. The idling (not standby) power consumption would need to be 600+ watts if the claim were true.

Maybe it is 20W of Class A shared between the 7 channels?!? Nah.

Personally I think someone is misunderstanding the Class G, and thinks the low-voltage rail is supplying Class A operation. In which case the truth might be that it delivers 20W on the low rails and 140W on the high rails. It could be argued that the low rail are Class AB-like and the high rails Class B-like -- but I'd rather not. :) The low rails might have more Class A bias than the usual Class AB amp, but it sure won't be 20W worth. That's just not practical.

P.S. the Whathifi review says it is 30W in Class A. Even more unlikely!

Now it's 22W on the SoundstageGlobal review: "The first 22W of the amp's 100Wpc into seven driven channels are pure class-A. This allows crossover distortion, a scourge of class-AB designs, to be avoided, while simultaneously offering listeners the coveted qualities of class-A circuitry. Since the large majority of listening will require less than 22Wpc, after which point the additional power rails kick in for class-AB operation, the AVR750 is functionally a class-A AVR."  I could still interpret that as 22W total, i.e. 3W per channel, if I wanted.

The Sound & Vision review of the AVR500 says it operates in “a form of Class A up to 20 watts into 8 ohms without having to have the full levels of standing current you would normally associate with Class A.â€. haha, that's marketing-speak for Class AB.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, though. :)

little update - just received my Morrow MA1 interconnects - dont know if burn in is going to do anything but i will give a few hundred hours. once done i will provide a better update.

Update so far running the MA1 for about 2 hours.

music - the Primare and Elektra combos is big jump in audio quality compared to my old Denon 3808. I mean in areas of detail, accuracy, deeper and punchier lows and probably the biggest of all is the large sound stage.

Comparing HDMI vs RCA via Oppo 105 - not much difference so far, slight sound stage increase but everything else is about the same. So really the DAC in the Primare is very good.

Movies - imo slight improvement over the Denon. the bass department mainly - Deeper but not buy a lot.

Overall very happy with my purchases.

Downside: Primare SP33 has minor bugs. HDMI switching / Oppo sometimes playing music no sound appears but changing inputs fixes this issues.

pitty i couldnt compare the Denon as a Pre vs Primare as my Denon died.

not surpised in the denon 3808 vs the primare and elektra. the elektra with massive 2200w psu and realistic 185w x 7 rating plus its massive heatsinks doubt you'll find any avr able to pack that sort of power stage on board.

the 3808 if like my old denon 4308 actually had a lovely processing stage. discrete dacs something like 7 power supplies but then it also cost about $5k back in the day.

am sure the prim are is a pretty decent processor though. be sure quite a few steps ahead than the denon on the 2ch side and analog ability :)

with av/movies I certainly wouldn't use anything but hdmi for the 105. but yeah go for it check out analog 2ch wise what its like, look forward to reading how you find it   :)

done just under 40 hours burn in on my MA1 interconnects and i have never heard a cable that fluctuates so much. at least its starting to settle down. 

So far loving the Primare and Elektra combo but i am getting a notion that my speakers are holding my system back. speakers wont be upgrade for a few years yet.

CONGRATULATIONS Genkifd

BIG fan of ELEKTRA Multichannel AMPS :)

Very good sound and AUSSIE MADE!!! :thumb:

Arthur is a top bloke too

My mate bought a used Elektra Theatre like 10 years ago (6 x 150w) and recently blew one of the six channels (due only to misuse on his part)

Arthur replaced the channel and when we picked it up he said ..........."All good mate NO CHARGE"!!!! :cool:

Edited by JohnL

Thanks John.

Loving my new setup. Now with just under 100 hours on the MA1s the sound is fairly balanced all around - really starting to enjoy the sound. apparently the MA1s dont really settle till about 200 hours out of their recommended 400 hours of burn in time.

Also by utilising the analogue outs of the Oppo to the SP33, has eliminated one of the HDMI bugs in the SP33.

Thanks John.

Loving my new setup. Now with just under 100 hours on the MA1s the sound is fairly balanced all around - really starting to enjoy the sound. apparently the MA1s dont really settle till about 200 hours out of their recommended 400 hours of burn in time.

Also by utilising the analogue outs of the Oppo to the SP33, has eliminated one of the HDMI bugs in the SP33.

HDMI switching is a bit of a nuance with the Primare's. Try a Spdif connection to the Primare, that works great on my SPA22HD. I find that the Oppo has a great and deep soundstage but that the Primare is better with voices and instrument articulation.

since i have been using Oppo Analogue outs SP33 switching has been great. i find that the sound level on the Oppo via analogue is a little lower when compared to HDMI. when i raise the level sound from the SP33 and 105 is very hard to distinguish.

still loving the SP33 the sound quality is impeccable.

Now after a couple of months the MA1 are truly broken in - did they sound different? well imo after 200 hours they settled down.

However, i have been switching between the Oppo 105 and SP33 internal DACs hearing subtle differences. Oppo has better sound stage and lows while the SP33 has better mids and highs - better meaning slightly. So for the time being im sticking with the SP33 DAC. 

Hi , this q may be Alittle of track, but how do i switch between dacs, in the oppo 105 and marantz av8801?

by utilising XLR/RCA vs HDMI/Optical then make sure your settings are correct in your Processor and Oppo

Anthem MRX 710.

I'm yet to read anything lower than a 4.5/5.0 review. Plus, you'll save $1000 that you can put towards some cigars and Scotch!

It will deifinitely be my upgrade.

Edited by URHYNS