Sign in to follow this  
genkifd

Musical Reciever for around $4k

Do English amplifliers / recievers match up well with English speakers?

personal tastes. but if you read English forums many use the combination of MA & Arcam.

dont know why but ive been researching the Yamaha CX-A5000 / MX-A5000 combo. looks like a pretty reasonable price for separates with great sound. havent read many reviews. dont know how the Yamaha would compare with the Arcam, Cambridge or Primare?

has anyone had any experiences with the new Yamaha separates?

dont know why but ive been researching the Yamaha CX-A5000 / MX-A5000 combo. looks like a pretty reasonable price for separates with great sound. havent read many reviews. dont know how the Yamaha would compare with the Arcam, Cambridge or Primare?

has anyone had any experiences with the new Yamaha separates?

wouldnt have thought the kind of sound were chasing. price wise even just yamaha pre will blow you over budget and the power amp like many japanese brand multichannel amps is nothing to write home about.

if looking pre power, the marantz av8801 used with something like the local elektra hd (one for sale on the forum) is probably best your going to get.

Should be able to get the yama combo for around $6k. Whats is so good about this elektra amp?

Are you suggesting that arcam or primare is better than the yamma combo? Cause I havent listened to the y amma I cant comment.

Edited by genkifd

Should be able to get the yama combo for around $6k. Whats is so good about this elektra amp?

Are you suggesting that arcam or primare is better than the yamma combo? Cause I havent listened to the y amma I cant comment.

personally I wouldnt buy the yam amp its the let down in that combo, and as far as the pre goes, make sure to your taste as I wouldnt have thought so given the brand sounds you were chasing. whether choosing arcam or nad or yamaha is a personal choice.

the elektra amp ? locally made, using the best of components, over designed to the hilt its built to last. quality, refinement, detail and dynamics and huge power reserves. I've owned elektra amps going on nearly 10 years and as quality of product I'd put it up against any imported amp costing twice as much.

The marantz 8801 with the elektra sounds interesting. Hmm dont believe you can listen to this amp in any stores though. Any sites or links.

Pitty the Elektra Theatron HD would be too expensive at this point.

i have found one here but is there a second user selling another Theatron also?

Edited by genkifd

Big picture people at Hoppers Crossing had a Elecktra amp set up when I was last there 4 months a go. Also has the Yamaha seperates to compare.

hooper crossing is too far.

might have to pop down to cheltenham's big picture people.

Edited by genkifd

what about the Primare SP33 with a used Elektra Theatron Amp?

hearing that the SP33 sound better than the Marantz for possibly cheaper price too.

Theatron is pretty good, there's a used later model theatre hd for sale here too though I think ?

Don't know much re the sp33, but if like previous prob a decent unit I imagine

Just spoken to Arthur of Elektra and he indicated if he was to buy a processor he would be look at the new Yamaha CX-A5000.

Just spoken to Arthur of Elektra and he indicated if he was to buy a processor he would be look at the new Yamaha CX-A5000.

Doesn't mean Aurthurs taste in sound is anything like yours.

Check out my sig, the Integra Elektra combo is awesome for HT duties but is let down in music, that's why I have a separate 2ch system being built up currently. However if you could get the Marantz 8801 + Elektra used I think you'd be on to something pretty sweet for HT &  2ch. In post 2 IIRC I suggested a Denon 4311 (which the 8801 is based on) as a processor with a Elektra Theatron and a 2ch pre with HT bypass, the one I suggested was a Audiolab 8200CDQ which is also a very good CD player and DAC, a very versatile unit.

Edited by blybo

just came back from Clef listening session for about 1.5 hours. first Marantz 8801 with matching amp on B&WCM8. sounded a little flat it was good but not for me. Then the Yamaha CX-A5000 very similar sound to the 8801 but better mids and highs. both sound stage was about the same while 8801 had slightly better lows.

Since Clef didnt have the Primare P33 i asked to listen to the Primare I32 with KEF (white towers) and Paradim Reference Towers. instantly the sound was fuller, deeper, more defined better separation and more neutral. I wonder how the SP33 would compare. Nick indicated it should sound similar.

Now have to rebook a listening session with Tivoli as they have the SP33 in stock.

Elektra amp would be more lively to neutral whereas the Marantz power amp probably a touch warm.

At this sort of price level I would of thought you might also be able to organize home demos?

The weak link in the marantz 8801 comparison was the marantz power amp.

But yeah go with whatever your comfortable with ... You have to live with it :)

At this sort of price level I would of thought you might also be able to organize home demos?

true havent thought of that as when i visited Tivoli the first time the Arcam was borrowed by a customer. may just do that for the primare P33.

just testing out the Elektra directly connected via interconnects to the Oppo. imo its already significantly better than my old denon. even better than the 8801 and CX-A.

thank you for those who contributed.

I have ordered the Primare SP33.

$4k ... Another busted budget!?!

Is there any other kind?

Nothing new I generally do. As long a get a better system im happy to spend a little more

Edited by genkifd

Interested to know how the new amps are sounding with both music and movies?

actually i am waiting for my Morrow MA1 interconnects to arrive before i was going to provide an update.

little update - just received my Morrow MA1 interconnects - dont know if burn in is going to do anything but i will give a few hundred hours. once done i will provide a better update.

Update so far running the MA1 for about 2 hours.

music - the Primare and Elektra combos is big jump in audio quality compared to my old Denon 3808. I mean in areas of detail, accuracy, deeper and punchier lows and probably the biggest of all is the large sound stage.

Comparing HDMI vs RCA via Oppo 105 - not much difference so far, slight sound stage increase but everything else is about the same. So really the DAC in the Primare is very good.

Movies - imo slight improvement over the Denon. the bass department mainly - Deeper but not buy a lot.

Overall very happy with my purchases.

Downside: Primare SP33 has minor bugs. HDMI switching / Oppo sometimes playing music no sound appears but changing inputs fixes this issues.

pitty i couldnt compare the Denon as a Pre vs Primare as my Denon died.

Edited by genkifd