Musical Reciever for around $4k

I personally am not too fussy about tech specs. In my opinion there aren't that big of an improvement over a few generations. 24/192 is around for quite a while and the latest big improvent for me are the HD codecs. It's the quality of the parts that matters a lot. But I don't know the differences between the Marantz internals or the Denon's.

its not about the specs, but you do get equitable improvements as go up the denon range. and unfortunately marantz with the older 8003 decided to base on the 3 series with was cut priced and really just a renamed 2 series denon. we're talking budget stuff here. you were better off in processing going a denon 3808 or 4308 which are amazing as processors.

the 8801 for instance is a lovely processor but you have to pay for it, and thats my point, you can go to model down but again you get what you pay for. cant have cake and eat it too :)

the arcam is class A/B ? I think will find its class G :)

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php/company-tours/arcam-september-18-19-2013/426-arcam-s-surprising-avrs

but I wouldnt worry too much in the tech, go by what it sounds.

nad, cambridge, rotel, denon/marantz I understand use class A/B :)

if you read into the specs of the Arcam 750 its bascially first 22w Class A, then afterwards Class G which is the new power design for Class A/B. Besides Marantz and Denon in regards to reciever imo is not longer part of running.

if you read into the specs of the Arcam 750 its bascially first 22w Class A, then afterwards Class G which is the new power design for Class A/B. Besides Marantz and Denon in regards to reciever imo is not longer part of running.

22w class a someone is dreaming ! :) Nothing I can see the specs below from their website.

Can you point us to where it says this ? What I pointed you to is a presentation arcam provided to the media re class g and the avr 750. Nothing about class A :)

Technical Specifications

Continuous power output, per channel, 8Ω/4Ω

2 channels driven, 20Hz - 20kHz, <0.02% THD - 120W/200W

2 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 130W/210W

7 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 100W/—

Residual noise & hum (A-wtd) - <0.15mV

Audio Performance (Stereo line inputs)

Signal/noise ratio (A-wtd, stereo direct) - 110dB

Frequency response - 20Hz—20kHz ± 0.1dB

Video Inputs

HDMI - x7, Component - x3, Composite - x4

Video Outputs

HDMI - x2 (ARC Compatible), Z2 - x1 (Composite)

Audio Inputs

HDMI - x7, Coax SPDIF - x4, Toslink - x2, RCA Phono - x6, USB input, Ethernet Client, Internet Radio, ARC (from display)

Audio Outputs

7.1 Pre-amp ouput - 6x RCA Phono

Zone 2 output - RCA Phono

Radio Tuner

FM / DAB / DAB+ (in appropriate markets)

Supported Surround Modes Include

Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Pro Logic IIx DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete, DTS-ES 6.1 Matrix, DTS 5.1

General

Power consumption (max) - 1.5kW (approx. 5200 BTU/hour)

Power consumption (standby) - <0.5W

Dimensions & Weights

W x D (inc. speaker terminals) x H (inc. feet) - 433 x 425 x 171mm

Weight (net) - 16.7kg

Weight (packed) - 20.0kg

Just wondering, should you be trying to match any new amp with the monitor speakers you already have.

Tats pretty important :) worth demoing with speakers have to get a feel how they go together :)

22w class a someone is dreaming ! :) Nothing I can see the specs below from their website.

Can you point us to where it says this ? What I pointed you to is a presentation arcam provided to the media re class g and the avr 750. Nothing about class A :)

Technical Specifications

Continuous power output, per channel, 8Ω/4Ω

2 channels driven, 20Hz - 20kHz, <0.02% THD - 120W/200W

2 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 130W/210W

7 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 100W/—

Residual noise & hum (A-wtd) - <0.15mV

Audio Performance (Stereo line inputs)

Signal/noise ratio (A-wtd, stereo direct) - 110dB

Frequency response - 20Hz—20kHz ± 0.1dB

Video Inputs

HDMI - x7, Component - x3, Composite - x4

Video Outputs

HDMI - x2 (ARC Compatible), Z2 - x1 (Composite)

Audio Inputs

HDMI - x7, Coax SPDIF - x4, Toslink - x2, RCA Phono - x6, USB input, Ethernet Client, Internet Radio, ARC (from display)

Audio Outputs

7.1 Pre-amp ouput - 6x RCA Phono

Zone 2 output - RCA Phono

Radio Tuner

FM / DAB / DAB+ (in appropriate markets)

Supported Surround Modes Include

Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Pro Logic IIx DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete, DTS-ES 6.1 Matrix, DTS 5.1

General

Power consumption (max) - 1.5kW (approx. 5200 BTU/hour)

Power consumption (standby) - <0.5W

Dimensions & Weights

W x D (inc. speaker terminals) x H (inc. feet) - 433 x 425 x 171mm

Weight (net) - 16.7kg

Weight (packed) - 20.0kg

here you go read this. http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/arcam-fmj-avr750-review/16501

those specs your have listed dont say what class the amp is - typical reciever specs

I do think so.

Edited by genkifd

here you go read this. http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/arcam-fmj-avr750-review/16501

those specs your have listed dont say what class the amp is - typical reciever specs

I do think so.

That is just my point. Arcam do not make a claim of 20w class a in their official specs which is why I listed them, neither do they in presenting to media on explaining class g make any claim of class a either. I don't see how a one line from a review equals arcam specs either :)

That is just my point. Arcam do not make a claim of 20w class a in their official specs which is why I listed them, neither do they in presenting to media on explaining class g make any claim of class a either. I don't see how a one line from a review equals arcam specs either :)

Damn Straight Al.

Nobody in their right mind would believe this AVR is 20 watts Class A just because of one line in a review by someone who should know better.

This receiver just is not 20 watts class A...................end of story.

There are plenty of people here possessed of vastly more tech knowledge than myself who would confirm this, but there seems to be some kind of urban myths existing around Arcam AVR receivers which their stereo amps don't have.

I have NFI why tho' but I guess people believe what they want for some reason. :)

• Like 1

Happened to be in Prahran today, so i decided to make a  visit to Klapp audio. very helpful guys especially the owner.

Well tested the Denon X4000, Marantz 7008, Cambridge Audio 751R and the Arcam 450 with their JBL speaker which i wasnt familiar with.

First Denon and Marantz sounded very similar (not suprising) could barely pick them apart. then Arcam - big difference, the sound was much fuller and bigger frequency response range. Then Cambridge - very nice with slightly better detail than the Arcam.

But still none of these had the bass punch i was looking for but the Arcam and Cambridge is definite upgrade from the my old denon. 

Now i wouldnt mine testing the NAD, Primare, Anthem and rotel. they had the rotel but not their reciever.

wow thts not good about the Anthem reciever - not something anyone wants

Long time lover of the 3808 for AVR uses but for Music I would advise you to test side by side a good Stereo Integrated with HT bypass and an AV Receiver. In isolation you may be convinced that the AVR is fine for music, listen side by side and I'm pretty sure you'll change your mind.

• Like 2

Nearly every review of the arcam 750 indicates it contains a class a amp. Dont know why you guys would say it isnt. Even the 450 is a class a/b amp like wise with the cambridge audio 751r

arcam make some lovely avrs as do a few other brands.

I think perhaps worth understanding every class AB amp will work in class A upto a small wattage. it will simply not be in the ilk of 20-30wpc given the multichannel nature of these amps, consider the massive power dissipation, massive heatsinks that would require. its simply not really realistic.

at end of it dont get so hung up on this kind of thing. head out have a listen best you can to make some evaluations and buy the best you like.

Best sounding avr I've heard was a primare.

yep the spa31 I remember was a fine beast if a bit quirky in operation and missing the bells and whistles of other brands. no idea how the newer models have translated given the change of topology amp wise though.

arcam make some lovely avrs as do a few other brands.

Yup, I was very impressed with the 380 my parents demo'ed their Whatmough speakers with down at the new shop in Clayton. So much so I got them to buy the 360 (last years equivalent) when they got the speakers.

paid a visit to Trivoli unfortunately their current setup isnt suited for my needs - they had the Primare SP33 connected to the A30.7 with MK bookselves attached. MKs did not do the system justice - sounded rather thin. So i have arranged another time for a more suitable setup. However, the salesperson suggest the CM series would be the best match to my RS8s which i dont believe as last time i heard the CM9s they sounded nothing like my RS8s.

My apoligies I should not be saying what I think he is thinking, Is the B&W CM9 similar to the Monitor Audio RS8?.

in overall sound charecter and scale of the speaker, yes. there are certainly similarities some similarities with monitor audio, focal, pmc etc. 

Do English amplifliers / recievers match up well with English speakers?

hard to generalise. definitely some to my taste go really well together. probably better to go demo for self and get a feel for how different brands go with different speakers :)