Plinth Builder Needed

Calling all handymen.  I have a mate who is in need of a plinth for a Garrard 301.

Is there anyone out there who can be fee commissioned to build a nice solid (say 25kg plus) plinth either in a nice hardwood or mdf CLD style with veneer? The 301 template is readily available and the size would be for 2 arms, one being 12inch.

When you consider importing these the total cost including shipping is prohibitive but there must be a local market for Garrards, Commonwealths and Lencos you would think? 

He is Sydney based but interstate would also be considered.     thanks

I would recommend vinylista.de. Great Loricraft style plinths ready made for your tonearm at reasonable prices even incl. the transport from Berlin

Cheers

Christian

Can I ask what you consider reasonable prices? :) you do have an Ongaku after all :D

• Like 1

Have a look at the website. You will get a very sophisticated and beautiful plinth for 700 or so $ with armbord for your arm and no further painting or anything else necessary. Proper well thought through stuff and not the usual as heavy as possible birch ply or MDF job that dampens everything to death and that you still have to finish yourself. I have tried it and the quality is so much superior to normal commercial products not even talking of the sonic qualities. I will have another go soon when I find another good motor

• Like 1

Have a look at the website. You will get a very sophisticated and beautiful plinth for 700 or so $ with armbord for your arm and no further painting or anything else necessary. Proper well thought through stuff and not the usual as heavy as possible birch ply or MDF job that dampens everything to death and that you still have to finish yourself. I have tried it and the quality is so much superior to normal commercial products not even talking of the sonic qualities. I will have another go soon when I find another good motor

Yes Christian they look very nice and I agree that sometimes lower mass "tuned" plinths (eg the LignoLab I have) can offer a lot towards the playback potential of the Garrards. Even the original Shindo heavy mass plinths had vertically oriented cherry blocks internally because of its "tuneful" sound. It's a murky area, I know, but I think we'll see a return to some of these lighter, marginally-sprung plinths amongst the Garrardoscenti. I really don't like the Loricraft plinths because IMO their craftsmanship is not up to standard but the vinylista.de ones look excellent.

Last price on these was 650 Euro plus shipping though which makes them quite an expensive proposition for some.

BTW why did you/are you selling yours?

• Like 1

Well, I really liked it but having the Shindo 301 as well and with very little time I thought that is a bit much. As soon as I have my own listening room and no dangerous toddler around I will start a new "project" I still have a nice Schick tonearm to play with....

• Like 1