JCR33

Coffee /espresso Machine

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your advice. I will definitely keep you posted on my progress, well actually, I will definitely need more advice as I am a total beginner in coffees. :rolleyes:

On my next visit to the shop for more coffee, I will get the grinder. Any suggestion on grinder?

A plastic tamper is included in the machine, I guess I will need a proper one, right! I did not see anything decent in the shop yesterday. Where should I go for a proper one?

DSC_5613.jpg

Suggest a visit to this forum http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums JCR I've been a member for years, lots of discussion and reviews.

Just remember it's a US site so not all grinders etc discussed are available in Aust, there is an area for Aussie posters down the bottom in the world regional area, posting questions there will get a helpful response.

Re the tamper, I would suggest you can find something that will do a better job than the plastic one and looks a lot better into the bargain, I have a Reg Barber flat bottom, US made and expensive, I believe someone is making them here now and selling for a much lower price.

Notice you have the grindenstein knock box, handy device, very durable, perhaps a little small but I don't find that a problem just empty it onto the garden a little more frequently, great soil conditioner:)

Any thing I can help with PM me, I've had a Silvia/Rocky combo for about 6 years now and while I don't profess to know it all have learned a lot of things not to do.

Jon.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your advice. I will definitely keep you posted on my progress, well actually, I will definitely need more advice as I am a total beginner in coffees. :rolleyes:

On my next visit to the shop for more coffee, I will get the grinder. Any suggestion on grinder?

A plastic tamper is included in the machine, I guess I will need a proper one, right! I did not see anything decent in the shop yesterday. Where should I go for a proper one?

DSC_5613.jpg

Manual allows complete control over the process which equals much better espresso.

That is assuming you know what you're doing. And I certainly dont! :mad:

Very nice. BTW, that's not a Granite Transformations bench is it? looks like the Sachi colour that I wanted to get but my wife didn't like it. Nothing like a nice looking machine on a kitchen benchtop :mad:

JCR33,

Have a look at http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/. These are beautifully finished tampers, and far more appropriate for your new machine, than a sad piece of plastic.

Also, checkout http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl for advice on grinders. There is a sub-forum dedicated to grinders, plus lots of other good info. The aus coffee version of SNA

JCR33,

Have a look at http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/. These are beautifully finished tampers, and far more appropriate for your new machine, than a sad piece of plastic.

Also, checkout http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl for advice on grinders. There is a sub-forum dedicated to grinders, plus lots of other good info. The aus coffee version of SNA

Hi mcb,

Really good links and those tampers look awesome and the wooden ones match my Strad nicely. :mad:

Very nice. BTW, that's not a Granite Transformations bench is it? looks like the Sachi colour that I wanted to get but my wife didn't like it. Nothing like a nice looking machine on a kitchen benchtop :eek:

Hi Mr. Gadget,

Yes, you are right, the bench was GT's. The only colour that does not look too plastic and acrylics...The dark surface with some tiny gold shinny sparkles giving an interesting effect.

What colour did you pick at the end?

You can probably see my leg in the oven door...:mad:

DSC_5607.jpg

JCR33,

I have a Pullman tamper and it is exquisite. I'll try and add a picture tonight. Remember you need to send Greg your basket

[ATTACH]2218[/ATTACH]

JCR33, that looks fantastic.

We got the beige sereno, i've put a couple of pics up in the 'Kitchen splashback' thread. maybe I should save up and get that Sachi for my splashback. It should look pretty good with the beige sereno benchtop. My tiled splashback just don't give my kitchen justice.

You can probably see my leg in the oven door...:mad:

DSC_5607.jpg

JCR33, Is that the Miele combi microwave or steam oven at the top there? Have they been reliable?

Hi Leon,

It is the steamer. Very good with steam veggies. I only have it for a couple of months, so far so good, no dramas yet! :mad:

We have the same oven and steamer, we did have the microwave combi but it broke down 5 times, they then gave us a brand new one, it lasted 2 days! So got my money back and got a Siemens one. Even the Miele oven had to be repaired twice, the vacuum from the same brand was repaired twice then replaced with a brand new one. Cooktop was fixed once too and all items were under warranty still. Must have had a lot of bad luck with Miele!

Hi guys,

Been away a couple weeks and had a bad flu and cough for a week, now I am back to normal. ;)

I have a Nespresso machine for a few years and find it easy to use and the coffee is good. However, up till now, I still have not found one bean that I really like from the capsules. Now I have found one bean, from a Japanese restaurant in Hong Kong, and they can get me the beans.

I am ready to invest on a good machine that is not too hard to use. Please, all experts here, help me to find the right machine. ;)

Ahhh...my other passion - coffee!

firstly, and in order of importance - the beans. I'm not sure where you are but Alan Frew at http://www.coffeeco.com.au is a good place to start. he knows his coffee and couriers freshly roasted beans to you. He'll sell you a good machine too and set it up for you (many new machines are badly calibrated when they leave the factory). His newsletters are very informative. Jaspers also blend excellent coffee. Always by locally roasted unground beans and avoid supermarket brands with the arguable exception of Illy although you can get better value for money locally. Beans only stay fresh for a week after roasting and then the quality drops.

Buy a good grinder - the best you can afford. This is the next most important component after the beans. I use a Rancilio Rocky doserless grinder, better for home use that a dosed grinder as less coffee is wated and you freshly grind what you use. A Sunbeam grinder is nearly as good for much less money.

If you can afford it, get a 'domestic commercial' machine. The Italian coffee machine makers have moved upmarket now as almost all semi-automatics are made in China. Machines like La Scala Butterfly are essentially kit machines assembled from commercial quality parts and so make excellent coffee.

Invest in a good tamper. There are fantastic locally made ones from http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/

I've also started playing around with naked portafilters - it's amazing how it changes the taste of the coffee - I can't explain it. It's like stereo gear - small changes bring about inexplicable improvements.

Buy some good cups, I like Illy demitasse cups. Don't over-extract your coffee - 30ml shots only. If in Melbourne there is a William Angliss Barista course that is very useful too.

Good luck.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for all the info and I am in the process of enquiring about the tamper and the next item to get is the grinder.

After about half a dozen of attempts, I am slowly making a nice coffee with decent crema whilst the froth is still not satisfactory. And despite of the less than amateur standard, the coffee is already much better than from the cafes in the mall. ;)

Oh, I notice that you are also using Avant Garde speakers, great choice! ;)

Beautiful looking machine there JCR33 how big is the water holder?

I love my coffee but can rarely have it for the reactions i have to it.

Beautiful looking machine there JCR33 how big is the water holder?

I was told that it can make 8 small cups or 4 large ones. ;)

Hi Michael,

Thank you for all the info and I am in the process of enquiring about the tamper and the next item to get is the grinder.

After about half a dozen of attempts, I am slowly making a nice coffee with decent crema whilst the froth is still not satisfactory. And despite of the less than amateur standard, the coffee is already much better than from the cafes in the mall. ;)

have you learnt that coffee is hygroscopic and so you must change the grind with the humidity - finer grind in more humid weather. Also different beans/roasts have different moisture coontent and may require different grinds too. Even if you buy a commercial blend they will vary the beans in it to maintain a consistent taste so be prepared to change the grind. hence the need for a good grinder with fine adjustment.

The Solos are great:-)

Hi Michael,

Boy, yours are much bigger than mine:-)

I have Avantgarde envy:-)

So far so good. Slowly, my coffee is getting better. Thanks to all of you for all the help.

Now I am onto the tamper and have contacted Coffeetamper. I need to decide if I should order the filter basket and the tamper together. Do you know if the basket will fit into the holder? I guess I need to ask Coffeetamper on that.

Any other la Pavoni users here?

Congrats on the purchase.

From the experience of using mine try--

VERY fine grind

COLD group head

DON'T compress/tamp down too hard.

P1000884.jpg P1000889.jpg

Now I am onto the tamper and have contacted Coffeetamper. I need to decide if I should order the filter basket and the tamper together. Do you know if the basket will fit into the holder? I guess I need to ask Coffeetamper on that.

Just send Greg your basket.

So far so good. Slowly, my coffee is getting better. Thanks to all of you for all the help.

Any other la Pavoni users here?

Smithy,

Unlike some of the older models ( I have a La Pavoni Professional, as well as a ECM Giotto Professional) the basket on the La Pavoni Stradivari is 52mm, but La Pavoni recommend a 51mm tamper. This is smaller than the 58mm used on professional machines.

At a minimum I would suggest you email coffeetamper, make sure they realise you have the new Stardivari model (as I recall the old basket is 49mm) and see what they say.

The best thing to do is to send them the basket for a perfect fit. I work part time as a barista, and believe me .5mm can make a difference. You could always get a spare basket from here for under $10, to keep you going in the meantime.

cheers

Joe Bloggs (2sheds)

Congrats on the purchase.

From the experience of using mine try--

Hi waricle,

Great tips, many thanks.

VERY fine grind

Will try when I get my grinder.

COLD group head

SxxT, I have been warming the head, no wonder it is hard to get the holder lock in...

DON'T compress/tamp down too hard.

Yes, lesson learned already, could not get any water through and out the filter...

Smithy,

Unlike some of the older models ( I have a La Pavoni Professional, as well as a ECM Giotto Professional) the basket on the La Pavoni Stradivari is 52mm, but La Pavoni recommend a 51mm tamper. This is smaller than the 58mm used on professional machines.

At a minimum I would suggest you email coffeetamper, make sure they realise you have the new Stardivari model (as I recall the old basket is 49mm) and see what they say.

The best thing to do is to send them the basket for a perfect fit. I work part time as a barista, and believe me .5mm can make a difference. You could always get a spare basket from here for under $10, to keep you going in the meantime.

cheers

Joe Bloggs (2sheds)

I am confused. The filter I have measured 58mm, or I should measure the bottom instead of the top?

DSC_5655.jpg

Smith...

Measure the top JCR, 58mm sounds right, don't get hung up on a precision fit, over the years I have used various tampers, plastic at the bottom end (about 3mm under size) and now a beautiful Reg Barber that fits nicely, I was able to pull decent shots with all of them.

The main points are to make sure the group head and portafilter have heated up to operating temperatures before pulling a shot, then experiment with the grind, the object is to extract about 30ml of coffee in 25 to 30 seconds, and don't expect to find a grinder setting and not have to change it, weather conditions (humidity) make quite a difference.

As I said earlier, buy a decent grinder soon.:rolleyes:

Jon.

I am confused. The filter I have measured 58mm, or I should measure the bottom instead of the top?

DSC_5655.jpg

Smith...