Sign in to follow this  
JCR33

Coffee /espresso Machine

Early in the morning push button hifi is acceptable too, +1 for the boom box, after lunch the playing field changes, Grind the coffee , clean the LP etc

Early in the morning push button hifi is acceptable too, +1 for the boom box, after lunch the playing field changes, Grind the coffee , clean the LP etc

Yep, point taken, MD. Fits with my suggestion that it would be great to have both:)

BTW, the Saeco does freshly grind the beans before making each cup. And if I want to get creative, I can make cappuccino etc. But, personally, I'm not into frothy milk:rolleyes:

Cheers

Tony

FWIW, I've had a Saeco Magic Deluxe for about 6 years. Every 18 months or so it goes back for a new boiler. If it died completely, I'd be faced with the dilemma of simply replacing it or getting a proper, less automatic model.

Well, I just hope it doesn't die as I really don't want the hassle of a manual machine. I can't function in any meaningful way until I've had my morning coffee and the sheer convenience of needing to press only one button to get it is a winner in my book.

So, the manual machines might make better coffee, but the convenience of the fully auto ones is addictive. Maybe, one of each is the ideal?;)

Cheers

Tony

Tony I use a similar machine at home and I really believe it does more than just a satisfactory job.

I know because I use a commercial unit at work as part of my business.But I really don't want the hassel of a machine ,grinder and something else around to dispense all the ground coffee X amount of times through the day.

Though I admit some of the other machines are quite sexier on the bench than the Saeco.As I went through the dilemma of what type to buy, but I put function above form in this instance and couldn't be happier.

taste is not everythiing - which machine sounds the best? You know that authentic grind, the stea venting, the milk bubling - coffee machines that are all too smooth and modern (and clean) cant be good for the taste?

Must let on I use a italian expresson pot for 2 on our gas stove - and love it - had it given to me 20 years ago and it would have been used at least 2 times a week every week since then (on average)

Why Mr G , What is it that they do over an above the rocky?

Well, the Rocky tends to clump the grinds a fair bit, it's not such a big deal but I do prefer the no-clump grinders. I own the doser version of the Rocky, apparently the doser version has less/no clumping. Despite the clumping it is still very good and consistant.

The aesthetics and finish of the grinder is ok but could be better IMO, note that the build quality is very robust.

Overall the grinder is does the job and does it well and when I bought it there weren't any other ones in the price range that I came across. I heard they have gone up a fair bit in price now.

There must be a high correlation of coffee drinkers and hifi ;)

Like hi-fi you can invest a lot of time and effort to get the most of it. In the end, the best machine for you is the one that gives you the most pleasure in both TASTE and USE. I use a manual machine myself but I'd say unless you have an interest and appreciation, a manual takes way too much effort to be practical.

I actually really enjoy the manual coffee making process ;)

I even enjoy cleaning the machine and making it look all nice and shiny!

We only make a coupla cups a day. Never use the frothie thingy (we just use the microwave to heat the milk)

We use the good old Breville Cafe Roma manual coffee machine (about $180) and a Delonghi helical grinder (about $80)......still manage to make better coffee than the local outlets.

Both have been going strong for over three years. I've seen the inside of both the Breville and a $750 manual Italian machine.....both look to be made of much the same basic components. Only difference was the chassis and the coffee holder....

Given the amount of coffee you don't drink....I'd go for a budget of $300 and spend the change on music.

Thanks guys, for all the ideas and info.

I think I might go for auto ones until I know what I really want next. Any suggestion?

So what is it that the manual ones do that is different (better?) than the fully automatics?

Thanks guys, for all the ideas and info.

I think I might go for auto ones until I know what I really want next. Any suggestion?

If going for an auto one I would suggest the Seaco with the twin boilers.

But find youself a shop which demonstrates the different machine and inform you about the pros and cons.

Imo you don't want a machine that stops you wanting to make a coffee.But then some people enjoy the ritualistic theatre involved just for that morning ristretto.

So what is it that the manual ones do that is different (better?) than the fully automatics?

Other than ritual, you can tweak the grind more easily to suit conditions (grind changes with beans, temperature and humidity) and you can tamp a manual much harder which according to most baristae gives better extraction. They also use a much heavier grouphead (the thing you put the coffee in) which helps maintain temperature.

Note that they aren't really manuals, they are semi-automatics because they have a pump to deliver the superheated water.

PS Australian Barista trophy back in Victoria! Go Dave!

This is the same question as so what is so great about those manual turntables compared to the automatic ones.

Build quality, adjustability, longevity, flavour - apart from that not much, they both make coffee (music).

Starbucks used to use La Marzocco but has changed to super autos to reduce training costs for staff. A high level auto machine ($12,000) will approach what an average barrista can do but with a little knowledge, a bit of effort you will soon be staying in for your morning coffee.

Kevin

la_pavoni_JDL_PL_BL_1.jpg

La Pavoni- a classic!!

Mine doesn't have the base & grinder.

(or the eagle)

You can even buy a set of seals & service it yourself!!

Leon read Mr Gimlet's Answer in post #11 , Manual machines have the potential for great coffee ,However the operator needs to be prepared to learn how to get the best from it

Well, the Rocky tends to clump the grinds a fair bit, it's not such a big deal but I do prefer the no-clump grinders. I own the doser version of the Rocky, apparently the doser version has less/no clumping. Despite the clumping it is still very good and consistant.

The aesthetics and finish of the grinder is ok but could be better IMO, note that the build quality is very robust.

Overall the grinder is does the job and does it well and when I bought it there weren't any other ones in the price range that I came across. I heard they have gone up a fair bit in price now.

I use the Rocky doser version but have removed it and prefer to put the ground coffee into a container and spoon it into the basket.

At times it would be nice to have a finer adjustment as in 11.5 instead of 11 or 12 an compensate with tamp pressure