JCR33

Coffee /espresso Machine

Stunning work John.

As Darryl Kerrigan would say "that is art".

I have a GS3, and my criticism is that it has the visual appeal of a Samsung microwave oven.  You have knocked that problem for 6.  Well done!

Cheers,

shaun

Guest JohnA
13 hours ago, shaun3121 said:

As Darryl Kerrigan would say "that is art".

I have a GS3, and my criticism is that it has the visual appeal of a Samsung microwave oven.  You have knocked that problem for 6.  Well done!

Cheers,

shaun

I hear what you are saying Shaun. Great machines but looks that only a mother could love. Thank goodness for mods.

hi all.  I'm  helping my sister decide on coffee machine to buy (you may have noticed my WTB:  post in classifieds for Rancilio Silvia or similar).      I'm keen to hear any advice on how to spend a $600 budget.      Options considered so far are:

- Rancilio Silvia.  eg current ebay listing asking $590 for   V4 + Rocky grinder + jug and other acc.  

- Gaggia Classic.   I have this (pre 2015 model) and am reasonably happy with it, but not enough to recommend it. 

- Aldi.   last week they were selling a machine for $300.   Thermoblock,  PID control.   I guess its a rebranded breville or sunbeam.   probably an OK new option but I think better to buy used and get better quality.  

- Breville or sunbeam options.   I haven't researched in detail but there seems to be decent ones.  

Grinder wise (if she doesn't buy together with used machine) I'd probably recommend the Breville smart grinder which is available new $160 fairly often.  

I'm leaning towards the Silvia.    Main concern is how good it is without PID mod  (she wouldn't be likely to do the mod).  

thanks in advance for  any advice.

Edited by manchu

20 minutes ago, manchu said:

hi all.  I'm  helping my sister decide on coffee machine to buy (you may have noticed my WTB:  post in classifieds for Rancilio Silvia or similar).      I'm keen to hear any advice on how to spend a $600 budget.      Options considered so far are:

- Rancilio Silvia.  eg current ebay listing asking $590 for   V4 + Rocky grinder + jug and other acc.  

id consider the lelit (std with PID) a superior machine to the rancilio silvia... say this as previous rancilio silvia owner and have had the lelit now ... couple off years ? the lelit is also smaller foor print if matters. 

grinder wise though you cant go wrong with the rancilio rocky :) still have that :) 

the likes of lelit and silvia se are a step up from the sunbeams and brevilles in my opinion (had one of them). as long as know a little about technique (am no barista by any stretch).

21 minutes ago, manchu said:

Breville or sunbeam options.   I haven't researched in detail but there seems to be decent ones.  

certainly capable of decent results and can also be a little more press a button ie not so reliant on technique.... can still spend a bit of money here though ! 

Grinder wise (if she doesn't buy together with used machine) I'd probably recommend the Breville smart grinder which is available new $160 fairly often.  

in the grinders something like the rocky is a MASSIVE i am talking another galaxy from the freebie ones you can literally get thrown in with sunbeams and breviles even if they claim to be burr grinders and such. to give idea the grinder I had with the breville could not on any selection get as fine a grind as needed for the silvia. change to rocky was amazing ! 

beans also make a huge difference. old stale vs fresher.... and where grinder comes in too get the right shot.. the 30ml in 25-30 sec :)

I'm leaning towards the Silvia.    Main concern is how good it is without PID mod  (she wouldn't be likely to do the mod).  

if you go this way... you have to use the work around... ie you catch the silvia at the right time on its warm up... its only way... so technique... not the end of the world... and something i used for some years ...but something like lelit with PID its just bang on every time :)

17 minutes ago, betty boop said:

consider the lelit (std with PID) a superior machine to the rancilio silvia

Is this really achievable for the budget though?        note:   The whole thought process started with the $300 Aldi machine so budget has already doubled.      Increasing further is really not an option.  

18 minutes ago, betty boop said:

as long as know a little about technique

both sister and husband have worked plenty of hospitality jobs so should have OK technique

26 minutes ago, betty boop said:

grinder wise though you cant go wrong with the rancilio rocky

good to know.   

thanks for all the advice.   plenty of food for thought.  

3 minutes ago, manchu said:

Is this really achievable for the budget though?        note:   The whole thought process started with the $300 Aldi machine so budget has already doubled.      Increasing further is really not an option. 

if looking at Rancilio then 100% you still looking at 2nd hand though... just throwing in a PID option in Rancilio league. id get lelit with PID over rancilio and then looking at getting the mod as just ends up costing a heck more overall :)

18 minutes ago, betty boop said:

if looking at Rancilio then 100% you still looking at 2nd hand though... just throwing in a PID option in Rancilio league. id get lelit with PID over rancilio

yes,  definitely 2nd hand.    Not many lelits around at the moment unfortunately though and sis is keen to pull the trigger asap.      

1 minute ago, manchu said:

yes,  definitely 2nd hand.    Not many lelits around at the moment unfortunately though and sis is keen to pull the trigger asap.      

yeah look if buying new its a no brainer, but understand 2nd hand. keeping in mind since they are ex hospitality anyways maybe ok with the work around with the silvia sans PID in any case. I ran that ways for a few years. not end of the world :)  perhaps might mean can put the money in the grinder :)

ps for low cost if end up being only option. the aldi am sure is fine too... just not sure a long term option ie goodness knows much can do with them if start playing up. most aldi things ive found to be use and throw away variety. tend to not buy anything over $100 from them, just not worth it. with their hospitality back ground might appreciate something more like a silvia too I suspect :)

yeah look if buying new its a no brainer, but understand 2nd hand. keeping in mind since they are ex hospitality anyways maybe ok with the work around with the silvia sans PID in any case. I ran that ways for a few years. not end of the world [emoji4]  perhaps might mean can put the money in the grinder [emoji4]

I know what you mean - I feel like I’m putting my money in a grinder sometimes

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

maybe ok with the work around with the silvia sans PID in any case. I ran that ways for a few years. not end of the world

When I got my gaggia (wedding present) I planned on PID upgrade and even found suitable controller, enclosure etc from our 'excess' stock at work.    But,  I'm happy enough with the coffee I get with the stock machine so haven't bothered yet.  

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

ps for low cost if end up being only option. the aldi am sure is fine too... just not sure a long term option ie goodness knows much can do with them if start playing up.

yeah,  long term serviceability is my main concern with aldi stuff in general.        I don't think she'd be able to find one in stock at aldi now anyway.    I've checked a couple of stores since the went on sale saturday and nothing.    

I second betty boops advice--Lelit over Silvia (better temperature stability), Rocky is a good grinder.

Do try CoffeeSnobs.com.au for second hand machines.

Hi all

Just bought a Macap M2M to replace a 15 year old Mazzer Mini (doser was a pain).

Any suggestions as to initial grind setting to begin dialing in process?

Cheers

Ron

Well I'll be damned. This collection of forums has something for everyone. 😉

Coffee is one of my "things" 😃. Main gear is as follows:

Espresso machines: La Marzocco GS3 MP / Vibiemme Domobar Jr

Grinder: Baratza Sette 270Wi /  Macap M4D

Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K

DJ

16 hours ago, OzDJ said:

Well I'll be damned. This collection of forums has something for everyone. 😉

Coffee is one of my "things" 😃. Main gear is as follows:

Espresso machines: La Marzocco GS3 MP / Vibiemme Domobar Jr

Grinder: Baratza Sette 270Wi /  Macap M4D

Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K

DJ

Ahhh, another nut.😂 Welcome.

I use the Breville BES920 with Smart Grinder Pro. They are great units, so great I own two pairs for work and play.

image.thumb.png.aa4195a8f836c2fc7b58cc407d3c8aeb.png

image.thumb.png.ef2fc809ee57f9f2786d6798652223a5.png

Edited by audiohippo

Folks,

It appears the time has come for a new machine.   Olde Saeco Incanto is about 10-12 years old.

Fully auto.

I am looking for thoughts on a replacement please.      Fully auto.   Expresso primary drink of choice.   2, maybe 3 coffees a day at most.

Probably under a $1000 to start.   You get what you pay for in life so make a few suggestions please.   

Regards Cazzesman

On 10/03/2019 at 1:47 PM, Guest JohnA said:

well this has been my last setup for around a year now. Finally finished with custom parts and am happy with the finished product, though i think i may change the feet to some taller s/s ones.

The side panels are billet aluminium and have been anodised in an electric blue, a creation From Rick @ the coffee machinist.
The steam lever has also been altered from the standard toggle switch at the front to the lever on the side. A joint adventure from the coffee machinist and specht design.

Machine was powder coated in matte black and the group cap was the final piece which was delivered yesterday. I didnt like the boring flat group caps so had one made to look like the stada style one.
Both these were thanks to Dan @specht design
Portafilter handles and temper from pesado

DSC01236.jpg.f69bfdca6b24fd64d70a38fb5690628f.jpg

DSC01238.jpg.1f34206c4ff35ed7589162537b4f4c13.jpg

DSC01233.jpg.9ba7f99d13c761401b060cbb10b87c0b.jpg

DSC01235.jpg.789d1a98f74a7177d78c8cfb7109d53a.jpg

DSC01239.jpg.56635084d4906ebfce7eef3d77123b5c.jpg

Nice work JohnA! Dan from SpechtDesigns is an real artist!.

I went to a different route with my GS3 and wanted to try making the side panels myself, so I bought some hardwood and off we go.

May I ask where you got your group caps from? would love to get those in maybe a copper colour.

Grinder is EK43S (Looking to swap with anyone for a Lyn Weber EG-1 grinder)

Pugpress

Just ordered some Specht portafliter handles

IMG_3479.JPG

IMG_3695.JPG

IMG_3701.JPG

IMG_3702.JPG

IMG_3703.JPG

GS3 EK.jpg