Cassette Player or Reel2Reel Player

In the past I have owned both types of tape players

Cassette and Reek2Reel and still do to this day

Just putting out the question what player have you found to be better and why

The real reason for this thread is to find the best of the best Brands/Models of both types of players that you have owned, heard or have had experience with

I am in search for an excellent cassette player to add into the system and I want to weed out the gems and make a short list

I currently have a Sony TC 765 Reel2Reel and a baby Nakamichi 480 , 2 head Cassette deck

For cassette decks, it's a no-brainer. Here's a few in order of goodness:

Nakamichi CR7

Nakamichi ZX9

Nakamichi Dragon

Nakamichi 100ZXL

Nakamichi 700ZXL (the best looking deck of all time, IMO)

Nakamichi ZX7

Whilst the Dragon and the 1000ZXL are excellent machines, repair costs can be considerable. I prefer the simpler Nakas. Which is why the CR7 and ZX9 take pride of place.

• Like 1

For cassette decks, it's a no-brainer. Here's a few in order of goodness:

Nakamichi CR7

Nakamichi ZX9

Nakamichi Dragon

Nakamichi 100ZXL

Nakamichi 700ZXL (the best looking deck of all time, IMO)

Nakamichi ZX7

Whilst the Dragon and the 1000ZXL are excellent machines, repair costs can be considerable. I prefer the simpler Nakas. Which is why the CR7 and ZX9 take pride of place.

Yes the CR7 & the ZX9 are fine decks

Finding good examples is the hard part ;)

I had the nakamichi cr2

http://www.vintagecassette.com/nakamichi/cr_2

didnt see the value of spending up any further up the nakamichi range...only because of how good the cr2 was.

also owned the sony wm-d6c amazing cassette deck

http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/wm-d6c

really though recordable cd and mini disc soon passed these machines over....

Similar to the Naka 1000, in that they both play cassettes.

That is where the similarities begin and end. And not REMOTELY close to the mighty Nakamichi 100ZXL.

Some of the old Akai decks were robust, reliable, easy to service and modest performers. The GXC570D was one of those.

The old Nakas were exceptional performing decks. Some models were less than exceptionally reliable. They're also quite difficult to service.

• Like 1

Thanks ZB

I have always considered Nakamichi as the best makers of cassette players

I purchased the Nak 480 new back in the late 70s

The way I run my tape decks is with a Nacamichi CA-5 II preamp that allows two decks to be connected

I remember that some models came with auto Azimuth correction

Thanks ZB

I have always considered Nakamichi as the best makers of cassette players

I purchased the Nak 480 new back in the late 70s

The way I run my tape decks is with a Nacamichi CA-5 II preamp that allows two decks to be connected

I remember that some models came with auto Azimuth correction

The big adavantages of the Nakas were these:

* Proper discrete 3 head head design. Not a combined 3 head design, like most other manufacturers used. (Yes, I am aware that the 480 is a 2 head design).

* The pressure pad lifting system.

* A really nice dual capstan drive.

* Proper adjustment capabilities for the head, rollers and guides.

Even a 2 head Naka is better than most other manufacturer's 3 head machines.

• Like 1

110VAC is no problem, but the location of the seller may be. A Dragon should be either VERY cheap, or be able to be examined before purchase. They can be very expensive to repair. The CR3 is a good deck and not difficult to service. My preference is still a CR7 or a ZX9, as they are far simpler machines, but still offer outstanding performance and are much easier machines to service.

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 3

While not in the same league as the Nakamichi 3 head decks, the Nakamichi 500 I purchased in 1977 gave me years of trouble free service and great sound. I used it mainly for recording LPs. Around the late 80s I had to have the heads replaced. I sent the machine to the "recommended" Nakamichi service centre in Sydney which duly charged me about one hundred dollars to do the job. The deck was never the same again with one channel dropping out after an hour or so. I would clean the heads with alcohol which fixed the problem but not for long. There were other problems too which I can no longer remember. I replaced it with a Yamaha KX 670 3 head deck in 1994. The Yamaha was, and still is, a fine piece of kit which I use occasionally.

I kept the Nakamichi in storage until a few years ago when, perhaps foolishly following a clean-up, I offloaded it to a local 2nd hand electronics/record dealer for about $80.

• Like 1

110VAC is no problem, but the location of the seller may be. A Dragon should be either VERY cheap, or be able to be examined before purchase. They can be very expensive to repair. The CR3 is a good deck and not difficult to service. My preference is still a CR7 or a ZX9, as they are far simpler machines, but still offer outstanding performance and are much easier machines to service.

I can drive to Toowoomba in one hour to inspect those decks

Still again I tend to favour the CR7 and the ZX9

I will just bide my time as the old saying goes - good things come to those that wait ;)

A Dragon in good operating condition is a stunning sounding deck. Take a couple of blank tapes and run a quick check on the machine. A bias and level calibration, along with an azimuth check should reveal any serious problems. Such tests are very easy on the Dragon. Failure of any test should rule the Dragon out, or, at least a basis for negotiation on price.