Sign in to follow this  
TomW

Sydney Audio Club Meeting - Sunday 9-Mar-2014 - Audio Note UK

The March 2014 meeting of the Sydney Audio Club sees us once again at Dence Park for an afternoon of fine music and sound and convivial company.

Each month, the Sydney Audio Club presents the finest in high end audio systems for our members and guests.  It's a bit like a private audio show once a month where you can hear and discuss equipment that you might not otherwise have the chance to audition.  And you can bring along your own music to test the capabilities of the system or to just share with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

For March, we have a great system from Audio Note UK presented by Bryan Fletcher of Finn Bespoke Technology Pty Ltd, the Australian distributor for Audio Note UK.  Please refer to http://www.audionote.com.au/Audio_Note_Australia.html.   Bryan will be presenting the same system that was presented at the Australian Audio and AV Show in October last year.   Detail of that system and some photos can be seen at http://www.audionote.com.au/2013_Melbourne_HiFi_Show.html.  So if you missed it then, now is your opportunity to hear it..!   Bryan is a very amicable fellow - I’m sure you’ll find his presentation to be both informational and entertaining.

The equipment line-up will be as follows:

Audio Note CDT 3 Transport with the Black Pallas Digital cable.  (Refer to http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/digital/cdt_three_01.shtml).   To quote Audio Note UK from their web site... “The Audio Note CDT 3 transport has a top loading, custom modified Philips CD Pro2LF CD mechanism, power supply with 3 separate mains transformers, Audio Note AN-Vx silver cable for internal digital signal transfer, silver wired digital output transformer using thin laminated core, Audio Note Tantalum resistors.â€

Audio Note DAC 4 Balanced with Sootto Interconnect.  (Refer to http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/digital/dac_4.1x_sig_01.shtml).  If you are curious, Sooto stands for “SO Over The TOp!â€.  (It has 120 strands of pure silver strands in each conductor, split between 3 different wire gauges.  Yes, it’s expensive!)

Audio Note M6 Preamp with Sootto Balanced Interconnect.   (Refer to http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/preamp/m6_01.shtml).   To again quote Audio Note UK from their web site... “Level Four line pre-amplifier, with Audio Noteâ„¢ 1 watt tantalum resistors, Audio Noteâ„¢ silver wiring, 5687 line stage with novel power supply design based on the patented M10, 6X5, OB2, ECL82, Black Gateâ„¢ WKz filter caps, Audio Noteâ„¢ in-house designed and wound output transformers with copper primary and an Audio Noteâ„¢ silver wired secondary on an 0.1 mm Audio Noteâ„¢ AN-Perma 50 nickel double C-cores.Phono version has MM phono stage with Audio Note copper foil capacitors and 6072A double triodes.â€

Audio Note Ongaku Kensei Stereo power amplifier with ELROG 211 Tubes and Sogon LX-96 Speaker cable.  The Ongaku Kensei is a fairly new addition (January 2012).  It’s based on the Ongaku Integrated, but has no preamp section and has a very high quality balanced input instead.   The new manufacture of these German made ELROG 211 tubes are a minor miracle in themselves, refer to http://www.audionote.com.au/NEW_-_Elrog_Tubes.html.

Audio Note AN-E Alnico SPe Signature Speakers.  (Refer to http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/speakers/an-e_01.shtml).   From the UK web site… “The AN-E must be the most efficient wide band speaker of moderate size on the market, with an effective bandwidth from 18 Hz to 23 kHz at -6 dB, efficiency better than 95 dB/m and a dynamic headroom above 108 dB. The extremely high efficiency is retained well over the bandwidth, and makes the AN-E very suited to the high quality, low-power triode amplifiers that will form the future of music reproduction, once our obsession with power and specifications is generally recognized as folly.â€

The second half of the music sessions will be our popular BYO.   Members and guests are welcome to offer music to share with us all.   Please note:  There will be no turntable, nor will there be any SACD or hi-res playback options.  So bring along your favourite music on CD only.   All we ask is that the music and recordings be interesting.  We'll ask you to tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played.  Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go.

Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others of a similar mind.

Guests are always welcome – we are a very friendly club so you don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound.  We will welcome you at the door.

Venue:  Epping Creative Centre
Address:  26 Stanley St, Epping

When:  Sunday 9th March 2014

Doors open 1pm
Meeting starts at 2pm

Best regards,

Tom Waters

President

Sydney Audio Club

www.sydneyaudioclub.org.au

tomwaters@sydneyaudioclub.org.au

I've been looking forward to this meeting ever since I spoke to Bryan at the HiFi show in Melbourne last year, which is where we first discussed the idea of him presenting at the club sometime.

A knowledgeable fellow and a great character, Bryan is bound to provide an entertaining meeting while presenting the lovely sounding Audio Note system, as I recall from the show last year.

With such a great selection of music you played over the 3 days in Melbourne Bryan, can you give us a peek as to what you will be playing on Sunday?

Looking forward to this also, though I missed the Melbourne Show last year I remember the Audio Note room was one of the better sounding rooms at Sydney a year earlier :)

That is some to die for gear. I'm sure all present are in for a treat.

It could be a packed house on Sunday, standing room only. Best get in early to find a seat in the sweet spot. ;)

See you then guys :)

That's certainly some mighty fine looking gear, should be a great day! 

Can't wait for this one. Wonder where Bryan will put the speakers in that big room.

Guest guru

viognier, you and me both.

Guest guru

chef, we will range from james cotton, stan getz,, manu katche, Mercedes sosa, jenny bohman, yun sun nah, Renaud Garcia-fons, puscifer, ludovico einaudi, whip, katchurian and Mahler with maybe some martzy

chef, we will range from james cotton, stan getz,, manu katche, Mercedes sosa, jenny bohman, yun sun nah, Renaud Garcia-fons, puscifer, ludovico einaudi, whip, katchurian and Mahler with maybe some martzy

Youn Sun Nah, great choice

with the listed speaker having an "effective bandwidth from 18 Hz to 23 kHz at -6 dB"

I'll bring in a newish techno CD by Adam Michalak, Returning to Essence, or the new experimental track by Max Cooper - Impacts (Perc Remix)

Oooh - a Perc remix of Max Cooper. Gotta hear that!

6 minutes of very clever programming / composing / re mixing

8859814.jpg

Blurb from Beatport

"Perc has gone balls out with an take-it-or-leave it experimental sub-lead mix for the serious heads and big systems."

Peeps can buy it here http://www.beatport.com/release/impacts/1228072

or listen to it on Sunday

chefscuba70, flash drive or Std CD only ?

flash drive or Std CD only ?

CD only :)

Guest guru

Just had a listen to the perc remix, I can see that going down big time with the boys from the club. Don't recall seeing to many of them getting their groove on last Saturday night at the after parties but I'm sure it will be fine with their pacemakers.

Balls out huh? Ali Wells doesn't really do it any other way.

I've been on Max mail list for quite some time but Ali is new to me... this mix shows his talents

I can't quote for some reason!

The Max Cooper track will be a good mix up to the usual classical selection. It's 6 minutes of their lives, hardly worth worrying about if they don't like it and I'm sure their pacemakers will enjoy the rhythm, even if they don't.

Might play a track from Jack Johnson's re-mastered 'Brushfire Fairytales'  album.

Yes, it's redbook only. You might want to check with Guru whether the AN CDT 3 will play burnt cd's.

I can't quote for some reason!

The Max Cooper track will be a good mix up to the usual classical selection. It's 6 minutes of their lives, hardly worth worrying about if they don't like it and I'm sure their pacemakers will enjoy the rhythm, even if they don't.

Might play a track from Jack Johnson's re-mastered 'Brushfire Fairytales'  album.

Yes, it's redbook only. You might want to check with Guru whether the AN CDT 3 will play burnt cd's.

Quote me any time Steve :)

One thing I like is diversity and the club attendees are always respectful of my and others diverse choices in "interesting music"

Last month I had played Dumky Trio Dvorak Cello Concerto this month Perc remix of Max Cooper (Pending use of the CD...), thanks for the heads up JD on Ali Wells (Perc) more musical research for me :)

Some awesome not to be missed live experimental music on the 30th, but I'll post that elsewhere on SNA

I've confirmed with Bryan, the CDT 3 will play burnt cd's so Max Cooper is good to go O.

I might actually come to this. I've always wanted to hear Bryan's ware's.

@Bryan - can you play some piano please? 

Edited by DrunkenRabbit

Guest guru

You are more than welcome to drop past earlier Andrew if you want some quiet to listen as the system will just be warming up and I'm sure it won't mind a little klavier.

Thanks Bryan,

Will try to get there - have quite a bit of work to get through today, but will see how productive I can be.

Best of luck with the demo : I reckon you have your work cut out for you with (optimally corner loaded) Audio Note speakers in the cavern that is the venue.

Cheers

AS

I've confirmed with Bryan, the CDT 3 will play burnt cd's so Max Cooper is good to go O.

locked and loaded.

I've made up a compilation CD with 16 tracks for other opportunities

Well gents, I'm finally home from a Sunday at the office, can someone please tell me how it all went..

Great meeting today, I really enjoyed the lot

For now a photo and I'll post a few more and some comments in the next day or two

Sydney+Audio+Club+Meeting+-+Sunday+9-Mar