Sign in to follow this  
Marc

Kopi Luwak Coffee

Bumping this one up.

Just got back from a quick trip to Bali. Speaking with one of our drivers as we were leaving Tanah Lot Temple, he asked if we liked coffee and if we'd like to visit a Luwak plantation. You can imagine my excitement and the coincidence given my love for coffee and the fact I have wanted to try this for years.

What an interesting experience. I kick myself for not getting any photos :( The pics I have included I have found through Google.

We walked through the plantation where the Luwak (or Lubak in Bali), eat the coffee beans. A little more info ... the Luwak are very selective in their choice of berries, and eat them only when feeling sick. So you can imagine why this coffee is so expensive given the small quantities that are produced by the Luwak (a small cat, like a badger).

gadogadogirl_luwak.jpg

This is what the beans look like once the berries have been ingested and "processed" by the Luwak.

IMG_0040.jpg

It was really interesting to watch how they then clean and process this, and then roast literally over a hot plate fanning with a coconut palm leaf - for one hour.
They then grind the beans down by hand:

coffee+grinding.jpg

They simply place two teaspoons of the ground beans in a cup of boiling water. Let it settle, and drink.
They also drink it along with some small pieces of dark chocolate as a sweetener.

I did have a cup. It was nice, without doubt, but I am used to drinking my coffee filtered (well at least through a portafilter) and wasn't a fan of the sediment.

I couldn't help myself though and purchased a 500g bag for $120. I'm looking forward to putting it through my machine.

And finally, yours truly with a proud purchase:

post-103433-0-34578800-1368223311_thumb.

Guest yamaha_man

And they say hifi is an illness?

I think coffee beats it hands down after reading this.

Enjoy drinking the sh!t.

Technically you don't drink the sh!t but someone is taking the pi$$ LOL

Ironically I tried this for the first time this morning (present from sis from her recent visit abroad) and frankly it was CRAP. Problem is it was probably sitting on the shelf too long so was very stale. Even with the grinder practically set to zero the pour was very watery and thin indicating the beans were well and truly past there use by date. When I did my course years ago we were taught about the "4" rule. Green beans last 4 months, roasted beans 4 weeks and ground coffee 4 minutes.

Lol

Expensive Cat shitte coffee

Began May 1 not April 1

And it involved Nude! Always was mad

Tried this a couple of months ago while in Jakarta. It taste like coffee ;).

Are we allowed to bring these beans back to Australia?

Yeah no issues at all providing they have been cleaned and processed - and in sealed packaging.

The only way I've tried these beans is at the Wheatsheaf Hotel, where they were in their Glasshopper that had Southwark Stout running through it.

It was delicious.

Yeah no issues at all providing they have been cleaned and processed - and in sealed packaging.

I watch too much Border Security ;) scared shitless every time I cross the border

hmm, i can see a opportunity here, just got to start force-feeding my cats with beans, might even try eating some myself, what to call it though ???

LOL

Catulence! :P

Perzachery.......audiophools....

Before you try this coffee, take a look at this.

https://www.facebook.com/palmoilproductsinAustralia/photos/a.578915938798915.1073741829.578823098808199/895491753807997/?type=1&theater

Think before you Drink!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/931/941/945/stop-civet-coffee-bean-farming/

think human consciousness, is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware, nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self; an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal - Rust Cohle (True Detective)

â€œIf you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem.†

― Eldridge Cleaver

Please have a conscience.

Before you try this coffee, take a look at this.

https://www.facebook.com/palmoilproductsinAustralia/photos/a.578915938798915.1073741829.578823098808199/895491753807997/?type=1&theater

Think before you Drink!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/931/941/945/stop-civet-coffee-bean-farming/

think human consciousness, is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware, nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self; an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal - Rust Cohle (True Detective)

â€œIf you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem.†

― Eldridge Cleaver

Please have a conscience.

that seems to be the way it would be harvested for maximum return…. disgusting…. stick to certified fairtrade and organic coffees 

Drank this **** luwak coffee in Jakarta several years ago and got sick for several days.  I rather drink the certified standard coffee.