Sign in to follow this  
Marc

Kopi Luwak Coffee

Has anyone here been fortunate enough to try this? I've been thinking about importing some for a few years now (apparently it does get through customs).

For anyone that doesn't know, Kopi Luwak is is very expensive, and is made from coffee beans passed through the digestive system of an Indonesian animal, but it's more like a cat than a monkey. According to a feature article by the Manila Coffee House, which sells the stuff, the people who harvest the digested beans don't really have to pick through cat litter to get it. The animal processes the beans and excretes them whole, unscratched, and without dung.

The animal is a palm civet, a dark brown tree-dwelling cat-like creature found throughout Southeast Asia. The scientific name is paradoxurus hermaphroditus.

According to the Manila Coffee House, the palm civet just happens to like to ingest the ripest and reddest coffee beans, which also happen to be the ones best for brewing. The cat eats the outer covering of the beans in the same way that is accomplished by de-pulping machines. Something happens to the beans in the journey through the cat's intestines that gives it a flavor that is celebrated by coffee drinkers.

Has anyone here been fortunate enough to try this? I've been thinking about importing some for a few years now (apparently it does get through customs).

For anyone that doesn't know, Kopi Luwak is is very expensive, and is made from coffee beans passed through the digestive system of an Indonesian animal, but it's more like a cat than a monkey. According to a feature article by the Manila Coffee House, which sells the stuff, the people who harvest the digested beans don't really have to pick through cat litter to get it. The animal processes the beans and excretes them whole, unscratched, and without dung.

The animal is a palm civet, a dark brown tree-dwelling cat-like creature found throughout Southeast Asia. The scientific name is paradoxurus hermaphroditus.

According to the Manila Coffee House, the palm civet just happens to like to ingest the ripest and reddest coffee beans, which also happen to be the ones best for brewing. The cat eats the outer covering of the beans in the same way that is accomplished by de-pulping machines. Something happens to the beans in the journey through the cat's intestines that gives it a flavor that is celebrated by coffee drinkers.

Hi Marc

Heard of this years ago and put it in the 'one day' basket

If you intend bringing some in, let me know and maybe we can share costs

(expensive from memory)

Worth a try!

Cheers

Nude

I was actually going to ask if anyone would be interested in sharing costs. IF there is enough interest, I would be more than happy to organise a group buy so to speak and re-ship it all locally to those involved.

I haven't looked recently, but last time I did, it was around $250 /kg.

I was actually going to ask if anyone would be interested in sharing costs. IF there is enough interest, I would be more than happy to organise a group buy so to speak and re-ship it all locally to those involved.

I haven't looked recently, but last time I did, it was around $250 /kg.

Phew!

If you go ahead

Put me in for 200g = $50

Hope it's good

:)

I saw a doco on Tele about this sometime in the last year or so. I recall the reporter/compare person drinking some of the coffee in the forest where they collect the beans...they thought it tasted pretty good.

Personally though I wouldn't pay $250/kg for coffee beens that come out of the arse of an animal.

LOL ... it's one of those things I just have to try :)

there's 2 places Sydney that sells it and one in Queensland if i am not mistaken. Next time you are around try Forsyth at Naremburn they do a decent cup of coffee.

and it looks to be more like $1400/KG!

http://www.mandailingestate.com.au/

I ASSume they wash the beans at least?

$1400 ???? I could buy a monkey and plantation for that and make my own! LOL

and it looks to be more like $1400/KG!

If that's the case make mine 20g not 200g

$1400 ???? I could buy a monkey and plantation for that and make my own! LOL

LOL It'd be better value and do more for your hi-fi than the Brilliant Pebbles and the Teleportation Tweak! http://www.machinadynamica.com

mikro-pebbles.jpg

I've tried some, it's like a $1500 interconnect cable, tastes different (good) but hard to see how the price reflects anything other than rarity and marketing.

When the Victorians come over for the Pizza Challenge we will haveto let them try some of our local coffee!!!!!

LOL It'd be better value and do more for your hi-fi than the Brilliant Pebbles and the Teleportation Tweak! http://www.machinadynamica.com

mikro-pebbles.jpg

$1500 for 1kg of coffee beans or lotsa audiophile pebbles.................;)

Hmmmm........what a dilemma :)

Some of the nicest beans I've had are DiBella's premium blend.

I get them fresh from DiBella's and grind 'em at home........magnifica :P:cool:

$1500 for 1kg of coffee beans or lotsa audiophile pebbles.................:o

Hmmmm........what a dilemma :)

Some of the nicest beans I've had are DiBella's premium blend.

I get them fresh from DiBella's and grind 'em at home........magnifica :):cool:

The problem with the audiophile pebbles is that they create unbalanced outputs! :)

...but instead of Kopi Luwak, why not try the rhesus monkey coffee - apparently it actually tastes acceptable. (wasn't a big fan of luwak, give me espresso roasted Beloya #16 any day, and at only $80/kg)

hmm, i can see a opportunity here, just got to start force-feeding my cats with beans, might even try eating some myself, what to call it though ???

LOL

If that's the case make mine 20g not 200g

If you are interested I have just returned from BALI and went to where it is all done and can sell you 100gms of the best coffee in the world (25 cups) for $140.00 plus postage.

It is sealed and comes in a box from that region. I have only 1

If interested contact me at andy104@optusnet.com.au

100g wouldn't give you 25 cups (4g coffee per cup) but more like 10-14 (7g - 10g per cup) of espresso

Kopi Luwak or Civet Coffee is coffee made from coffee berries which have been eaten and "digested" by the Asian Palm Civet in jungles in Southeast Asia, specifically the Philippines and Indonesia. The civet cats eat the coffee berries normally. However, the coffee beans pass through their system undigested.

Kopi Luwak taste full-flavored, rich and mellow without any sharpness or edge I associate with over-roasted or acidic (bright) beans. I tasted it when I briefly worked for a Bayantel project in Philippines (Makati, Querzon City/Heroes Hill, Legaspi) - I much prefer somebody else fuss with getting a cup just right than DIY (i.e. wasted beans).

But you need to get past the process:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26387[/ATTACH]

Edited by xtrachewy

I have tried it in a cupping session in a Brisbane cafe

A couple of months later while I was helping a coffee shop owner to review a home roaster

While there I was offered some beans and asked to evaluate them as a blind test

I picked the taste straight away as Kopi Luwak from my previous but recent cupping experience

This bloke was the owner of Animal Coffee & a distributor of Kopi Luwak

I don't dislike the taste of Kopi Luwak however I have found that at least for my pallet, that I have had lot of nicer coffees and blends

FR

I'm heading back to the Philippines in March. Maybe I could scout around and see what prices I can find it at for interested parties?

Chris

See how much it costs to get a civet.

Edited by ford

hmm, i can see a opportunity here, just got to start force-feeding my cats with beans, might even try eating some myself, what to call it though ???

LOL

You could call it Lupi Kowak coffee. I think that's a bit of a sh1t idea. You'd have to be a bit "lupi" and a bit kinda "wacko" to do it.

Cheers,

Alan R.