Australian music recommendations on vinyl

CdkopnA.jpg

My Bananagun LP turned up today. Was expecting a pretty poor pressing given it was pressed at Zenith, and at first inspection I was correct. Record had blemishes on both sides, a scratch on side B, and rough edge all the way around. Put it on the turntable and was pleasantly surprised, seems it was cut well, it sounded good. Vinyl wasn't the quietest, but no ticks or pops to speak of. 

Hopefully the quality still improves at Zenith and they continue doing business.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mikizee said:

CdkopnA.jpg

My Bananagun LP turned up today. Was expecting a pretty poor pressing given it was pressed at Zenith, and at first inspection I was correct. Record had blemishes on both sides, a scratch on side B, and rough edge all the way around. Put it on the turntable and was pleasantly surprised, seems it was cut well, it sounded good. Vinyl wasn't the quietest, but no ticks or pops to speak of. 

Hopefully the quality still improves at Zenith and they continue doing business.

This one does sound good. Zenith quality can be a bit random at times, but is generally better than it used to be. Every Zenith pressing that I have ended up with certainly benefits from a deep clean, more so than most other pressings. The difference in sound before/after clean can be quite dramatic at times.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, trailiya said:

On 26/02/2014 at 11:11 AM, keyse1 said:

Halfway are a Brisbane band

Just released a new record Any Old Love

Produced by Robert Forster of The Go-betweens

My favourite Aussie band

Byrds Flying Burrito Brothers Wilco type music

What is that about?

3 hours ago, AFCAD said:

This one does sound good. Zenith quality can be a bit random at times, but is generally better than it used to be. Every Zenith pressing that I have ended up with certainly benefits from a deep clean, more so than most other pressings. The difference in sound before/after clean can be quite dramatic at times.

I really must get an RCM. I’ve wanted one for years. The ultrasonic ones look pretty good. 

Going by Zenith’s Instagram. a new cutting engineer named Luke Yeoward took over last August, and it’s his name in the Bananagun deadwax. Could be a name to look out for. He did a fine job on this record. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mikizee said:

Going by Zenith’s Instagram. a new cutting engineer named Luke Yeoward took over last August, and it’s his name in the Bananagun deadwax. Could be a name to look out for. He did a fine job on this record. 

It's a shame to have bad things to say about the only operational pressing plant in Australia, but here we are.

Grimy records are one thing but they really need to get it together with aligning their stampers, there's gotta be some real wacky tolerances in how they're mounted/positioned.

I've noticed this less with Anti Fade releases though, maybe Billy's a tough customer?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spaceritual said:

It's a shame to have bad things to say about the only operational pressing plant in Australia, but here we are.

Grimy records are one thing but they really need to get it together with aligning their stampers, there's gotta be some real wacky tolerances in how they're mounted/positioned.

I've noticed this less with Anti Fade releases though, maybe Billy's a tough customer?

I was watching the tonearm closely when I put the record on, expecting it to see it sway back and forth. Seems good though. Have you gotten some off centre pressings?

To be honest I have avoided Zenith pressings like the plague the last 10 years or so, since I bought a copy of Hard Road Restrung and the pressing was so bad I sent Zenith a scathing email. Admittedly the owner wrote back straight away and shipped me another copy (which was equally as bad, but at least they tried to help). 

The only other Zenith pressing I have bought is About Face by #1 Dads, which came filthy and with the centre hole too small to fit on my turntable. I emailed Zenith and they told me to drill or file out the centre hole to make it bigger... and I thought 'f&#k these guys'.

But at the same time I'd hate to see vinyl manufacturing leave Australia altogether, so we will just have to push Zenith to be better. 

On 21/07/2020 at 8:59 AM, mikizee said:

I was watching the tonearm closely when I put the record on, expecting it to see it sway back and forth. Seems good though. Have you gotten some off centre pressings?

To be honest I have avoided Zenith pressings like the plague the last 10 years or so, since I bought a copy of Hard Road Restrung and the pressing was so bad I sent Zenith a scathing email. Admittedly the owner wrote back straight away and shipped me another copy (which was equally as bad, but at least they tried to help). 

The only other Zenith pressing I have bought is About Face by #1 Dads, which came filthy and with the centre hole too small to fit on my turntable. I emailed Zenith and they told me to drill or file out the centre hole to make it bigger... and I thought 'f&#k these guys'.

But at the same time I'd hate to see vinyl manufacturing leave Australia altogether, so we will just have to push Zenith to be better. 

The guys running the place seemed pretty knowledgeable and easy to talk to, but yeah off-centre pressings I've found quite common with them. I use a bic pin, insert nib first and apply light force and twist while holding the opposite side label. I've managed to correct (or at least significantly improve) most of the off-centre records I've had from them.

Be careful! It's easy enough to slip and drag the pen across the entire playing surface, rendering one side unplayable. I speak from unfortunate experience.

I'm with you on wanting to push them to improve, but I get the feeling that these issues stem from inadequate gear... gear that is uncommon, esoteric and unlikely to be replaced.

But hey, what are you gonna do?... Not listen to independent Australian releases? ? The majority of pressings that they handle (that I'm aware of, at least) aren't really for the hi-fi crowd IMO.

Edit: Jeez, yeah ok that drill suggestion is an interesting one.

Edited by spaceritual
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

An Australian punk band. A couple of good songs on this one. I liked ‘Albury Wadonga’ and their version of Lenny Kravitz’s ‘Are you going my way’. 

The lads appear to like the funny and risqué side of things. This cover apparently comes from the $5 note. White splatter vinyl. 

Private Function, Whose Line Is It Anyway?

62CC93C6-A04C-429E-8E5B-E00084EB8C76.jpeg

FF6EAD1D-C7E7-43A6-83BD-2934F6F5C17E.jpeg

• Like 2

On 13/09/2020 at 4:43 PM, KRSDarwin said:

An Australian punk band. A couple of good songs on this one. I liked ‘Albury Wadonga’ and their version of Lenny Kravitz’s ‘Are you going my way’. 

The lads appear to like the funny and risqué side of things. This cover apparently comes from the $5 note. White splatter vinyl. 

Private Function, Whose Line Is It Anyway?

It's a good one alright. I was lucky enough to snag one of the 50 'mystery bag' variant. I was expecting it to be similar to a liquid filled LP, it looks like two single sided 12"s sort of glued together around the outer edge. I haven't tried playing it, that's what I got the $5 note variant for.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Obscura Hail Siren/Zero. Basically 2 EP's one on either side of the vinyl. Band are Melbourne based but originally from Wollongong. Terrific song-writing and boy/girl layered vocals. Influences (according to the band) include They Might Be Giants, Sufjan Stevens, Elliott Smith etc.

And....this is one of the first records to be pressed at new Melbourne pressing plant Program. www.programrecords.com

IMG_3221.jpeg

On 14/09/2020 at 12:12 PM, metal beat said:

RVG  ‎– Feral - new album from RVB - a very 80's melb sound - with a  Patti Smith / Go betweens vibe - excellent.

or7GlCT.jpg

Sounds great

Ive tidaled them for tomorrow 

Go Betweens bit hooked me?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Then for something completely different. Not one for the kiddies or polite company. The fellas have a sense of humour.  Medium sq but then again goes with the atmosphere of the performance

Dune Rats, Hurry up and wait

C76FBC8E-2A86-4FD3-A8CD-80011318470C.jpeg

FE69AAD0-AEF0-42EC-84D1-1C6034AD11EC.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...