metal beat

Australian music recommendations on vinyl

Hi Guys

Any recommendations of Aussie music on vinyl that you dig and that you can still buy?

I bought 2 earlier this week @ Red Eye and they are both excellent and well worth anyone exploring.    Red Eye has over 2500 ANZ albums on vinyl!!  see link.

Just mention the band details and the genre/type of music it is.  I am sure I would have heard of some, but not heard of more.

Hopefully this thread will open up some Aussie bands to SNA music lovers that may not have heard of them before or did not even realise some old bands/artists were still making music.

first up on the list is

Lower Plenty - Hard Rubbish and 1st lp, Mean in a 2lp set.

on beautiful 100gm vinyl released on Fire records. Melbourne band Feat. members of UV Race/Total Control/Dick Diver & Deaf Wish. Dark, sparse, Alt folk with an edge and sound pretty good. Superb

The Maple Trail - Cable Mount Warning

Solo project of Blue Mountains Belles Will Ring guitarist Aiden Roberts.
Nice 60's early 70's folk sound, and sounds a little like Nick Drake mixed with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Sounds wonderful as well. I like it.

http://www.redeye.com.au/answer.asp?artist=&title=&advSearch=yes&reion=USA&submit=search&loc_sh1=1%2C+8&loc_sh2=2%2C+3%2C+4&fmt_lp=%27LP%27&fmt_12=%2710%27%2C+%2712%27&g_oz=%27Australian+%26+New+Zealand%27

cheers

Edited by turntable

Anyone who likes Died Pretty will absolutely love Ron S Peno's last 2 solo albums which are still available on vinyl. Both are a little quieter than Died Pretty but has plenty of emotion!!

PENO, RON S. & THE SUPERSTITIONS  -  ANYWHERE AND EVERYTHING IS BRIGHT

PENO, RON S. & THE SUPERSTITIONS  -  FUTURE UNIVERSE  

http://www.redeye.com.au/answer.asp?artist=PENO%2C+RON+S%2E+%26+THE+SUPERSTITIONS&reion=USA&genSel=&letbrws=yes&atype=both

Good idea Shane :thumb:

Where possible we should try to include links to bandcamp / Spotify etc

I'll get back to you shortly

Sun - I'll be the same. Not sure where to get it but absolutely worth the search.

James McCann - last night I met the devil. Bang! Records. They do a ton of aussie stuff

Wicked city - worsted yarn. New record, melodic, rocky

Saskwatch - leave it all behind. Northside records. Soul/funk. Bloody tops, new record out in a month or so

Cosmic psychos - early back catalogue has been reissued. Good beer drinking music!

Spencer P Jones - fugitive songs is my pick but you can't go wrong if you like rough bluesy electric rock type stuff

Can we include recent releases?

If so, I'll put forward Spring and Fall by Paul Kelly. Great collection of connecting songs and sounds good on vinyl.

There are a few Australian bands doing the new soul/funk thing. Pretty sure all these albums are still available on vinyl.

Clairy Browne & the Bangin' Rackettes - Baby Caught The Bus (Vanguard)

Saskwatch - Leave It All Behind (Northside Records)

Cactus Channel - Haptics and Wooden Boy (Hope Street Records)

Bamboos - Fever In The Road and Medicine Man (TruThoughts)

And some garagey-punky stuff:

Gooch Palms - Novos

Straight Arrows - It's Happening

Edited by Monty

Halfway are a Brisbane band

Just released a new record Any Old Love

Produced by Robert Forster of The Go-betweens

My favourite Aussie band

Byrds Flying Burrito Brothers Wilco type music

You can read reviews written over last couple of weeks

Also have a Facebook page

Halfway are a Brisbane band

Just released a new record Any Old Love

Produced by Robert Forster of The Go-betweens

My favourite Aussie band

Byrds Flying Burrito Brothers Wilco type music

You can read reviews written over last couple of weeks

Also have a Facebook page

But is it on vinyl?

Yes

Records were for sale at the album launch concert I went to

They are doing a free all ages show at the power house in Brisbane on a Sunday afternoon in March I think it is

Lots of recent reviews

An 8 piece band electric and acoustic guitars banjo steel drums and keyboard

Great country rock but the singing is what gets to me personally

Nice one Shane. A chance for me to push all the youngster that a producing great music and putting on great live performances.

Oliver Tank. - Slow Motion Music. Electronic/ dubstep, great vocals and he plays guitar as well as knob twiddling.

Courtney Barnett - The Double EP A Sea Of Split Peas. Awesome lyrics/ storyteller. Unique. Has cracked it overseas to some extent selling out most of her shows but not getting the recognition at home she deserves as yet. Doing some show with Billy Bragg in Aus.

Big Scary - Not Art. Male/female duo doing great indie pop. This is their second album released last year. I happened to play this at Victor's today. Sounded great on his rig.

Jen Cloher - In Blood Memory. I know there are a few SNA fans of Jen's. Another singer/songwriter whose music is very personal. Check out Hold My Hand about her parents. Now on Courtney Barnett's Milk Records. Great live performer.

Richard In Your Mind- Sun. A bit of Aussie psychedelica from Sydney that put on interesting live shows, not your usual band in pub style.

Jagwar Ma- Howlin. These guys seemed to have cracked it for a it of commercial success. A mix of dance/rock/electronic.

Those off the top of my head and you should be able to find something on bandcamp/soundcloud/spotify for most of them.

I will leave ferchersan to raise Shining Bird.

Edited by Viognier

Or you could jump onto pozible http://http://www.pozible.com/project/174837  and sponsor Sarah Belkner who I have been trying to drum up support for. Well she just passed her $10000 goal with 11 hours to spare. One of her rewards for sponsorship is her new album on vinyl. You will just have to wait a while.

Yes

Records were for sale at the album launch concert I went to

They are doing a free all ages show at the power house in Brisbane on a Sunday afternoon in March I think it is

Lots of recent reviews

An 8 piece band electric and acoustic guitars banjo steel drums and keyboard

Great country rock but the singing is what gets to me personally

Thanks. I did read a rave review a few weeks back and am listening to the album at the minute on Spotify.

They have 2 Brisbane gigs within the next month, so will get to one of those.

Shining Bird - Leisure Coast - 2013

These guys did a great job supporting Kurt Vile recently. Nice dreamy pop, with sweet vocal harmonies. I bought the LP at the gig, from the band for $15 :thumb:

Check it out on Spotify

It was in stock at Beatdisc in Parramatta when I was last there. Whenever I'm on the lookout for new release LP's by local up and comers, i try Beatdisc or Repressed Records in Newtown first. They both have a big selection of local, independent music on LP and are usually cheaper than Redeye.

Here's another Aussie record that I rave about definitely on vinyl

Jack Ladder and the Dreamlanders Hurtsville

Great moody music ala Nick Cave and Lenny

I have a playlist that includes Mica P Hinson Nick Lenny Songs Ohio Electric Magnolia Co a trio of great Aussie records The Devastations Corrina Steele Wagons not sure if they are cd only or not, Michael Hall Willard Grant Conspiracy all sort of dark broody music add beer and after a couple of hours feeling good great and wonderful

Why do sad songs make you feel so good?

I'm obviously living in a vacuum as I've not heard of any of the artists mentioned :(  TT's description of The Maple Trail does interest me though, guess I'm still Living in the 70's!

Oh how I miss going to "real" record stores and buying vinyl and walkiing away with a nice stash.

I visited Beatdisc records @ lunch today and bought the Shining Bird, Big Scary, Jack Ladder and Spencer P Jones & the Nothings lp's.

Also picked up

Dick Diver - Calender Days

the Ancients - Night Bus

Royal Headache  lp's

Hey Leigh  - all cheaper than Red Eye, pity they do not have the same variety.

can't wait to get home :P

Edited by turntable

Shame the Jack Ladder vinyl has one less track than the CD. :-(

What song is missing?

What song is missing?

blinded by Love

blinded by Love

That is one of the best songs

It's on my playlist

I hope you like the record

If not don't tell me

I will feel guilty

I am impressed that you actually went out and bought records talked about here

Long before the internet I used to do the same after reading Rolling Stone which used to be a great magazine

Happy listening

It's on my playlist

If not don't tell me

I will feel guilty

Long before the internet I used to do the same after reading Rolling Stone which used to be a great magazine

Happy listening

I will tell you regardless :P

I brought this thread up so I and hopefully others will actually buy more Australian music and do our bit for the artists we like.   I love music and buy lots of it, but mainly overseas artists so it is time I tried to give a little back locally.  

cheers

Edited by turntable

Shame the Jack Ladder vinyl has one less track than the CD. :-(

It's on my playlist

If not don't tell me

I will feel guilty

Happy listening

I can see why they dropped " Blinded by Love " from the lp release.    side one goes for almost 19 minutes.  side two for 22 minutes.   The pressing is excellent and literally no more room on the album to fit "blinded" @ 7.21 seconds onto the vinyl cut.    would have been nice to have 3 sides of vinyl and an etching, howver for an Aussie Indy release on vinyl, no doubt too expensive.

Keyse

Don't worry, I am almost through side one as I write this.  Love it!!

Definately sounds like the Nick Cave cover band with perhaps a little later day Triffids, but the dables of synth and strings in the background of the mix gives it a nice grand sound.

he does sound like Nick Cave thou :D

Tex Perkins latest band 'The Ape' hasn't disappointed.