Doom Jazz / Dark Jazz

Hugehair

Over the past few months I've been immensely enjoying a style called doom jazz. Here is a short definition on last.fm.

Doom jazz is a form of music that combines the slow tempos, and sense of despair of doom metal with jazz style and sensibility. The music usually conveys an aura of pessimistic introspection, and many of the artists incorporate dark ambient influences into their music.

Some of my favourite artists are Bohren & Der Club Of Gore, The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation, Dale Cooper Quartet, etc.

Here is a clip from Bohren & Der Club Of Gore, hope someone here share the same interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcDfVsQ-qhY

• Like 5

You've come to the right place, a few fans here, and am sure they'll be along sooner or later.

I was playing the Dale Cooper Quartet album "Parole de navarre"  just last week.

Others here put me onto Bohren & Der Club Of Gore. They've been mentioned here many times.

And for the record..............I hate metal.   :P 

• Like 1

Another fan here , have only recently courtesy of the CS thread discovered Bohren , but have a few Kilimanjaros & a Povarovo.

Headphones on in the dark this stuff.

Headphones on in the dark this stuff.

Spot on! Boundless darkness, though Grados are no good match for this style of jazz.

Hmm doesn't sound much different from a lot of ECM jazz.

ECM experimental jazz is more towards improvisational "free jazz" direction with far less predictable slow tempo beats & more agile saxophones/trumpets, though sometimes no less darkness. Scandinavian jazzmen Deathprod and Supersilent are my top picks considering Rune Grammofon as an ECM sub-label. 

I actually found very few musicians are dedicated to this style. Some related electronic jazz musicians I found no less attractive such as Kammerflimmer Kollektief and Tied & Tickled Trio.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...