Sign in to follow this  
steve u

Oldies vs Newies...Opinions please

Having a vinyl collection laying dormant for many years and with the forced upgrade of a pre amp last year, I took the plunge and decided to get back into vinyl.

I now have a Sound Reference turntable which to my ears plays very well, is easy to use and seems to do everything right.

I have upgraded the cartridge to a Benz Micro Glider and I am blown away by the dynamics. A much more immediate and involving presentation than my CD player and I couldn't be happier.

But I have this itch. The upgrade itch. I am considering buying another turntable. I will probably hang on to the SR turntable, but that could change depending on what I end up with. I will obviously keep the cartridge to use in the new turntable.

I never knew there was such a passion for "old" turntables until I joined this forum. The workmanship in restoring and upgrading some of these beauties is incredible.

And then I see the technical advances of the "newies" like the Kuzma, the Avid and the Pro-Ject RPM10 , I wonder will these "newies" outplay the oldies? Or are the oldies still doing the basics right and they also have the added attraction of being a piece of the past and still stand up and play with the best of them today. I do have a leaning towards bespoke products and could really see myself with a couple of turntables set up in the lounge room and just spinning away and thinking life is good....glass of red :rolleyes: ....sorry about that, back on topic.

So if I am looking towards an upgrade and considering what I am using now, what would be the next best step forward in my turntable evolution? As I am prepared to consider new and pre-loved, my budget is flexible and is between$1000 and $3000 for turntable and arm. I have trawled the classifieds here and there are some that catch my eye and some that I think are probably sold but still listed as FS. But again, I am looking for an upgrade so I am not really sure which ones would fall into that category. 

I really have a lot to learn about turntables in general and hope that I could get a range of opinions from the learned vinyl lovers and turntable "experts" in this forum. Maybe "upgrade" is the wrong angle and I should be looking towards a different flavour, a different sound, a different look.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Steve

So if I am looking towards an upgrade and considering what I am using now, what would be the next best step forward in my turntable evolution? As I am prepared to consider new and pre-loved, my budget is flexible and is between$1000 and $3000 for turntable and arm. I have trawled the classifieds here and there are some that catch my eye and some that I think are probably sold but still listed as FS. But again, I am looking for an upgrade so I am not really sure which ones would fall into that category. 

I really have a lot to learn about turntables in general and hope that I could get a range of opinions from the learned vinyl lovers and turntable "experts" in this forum. Maybe "upgrade" is the wrong angle and I should be looking towards a different flavour, a different sound, a different look.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve,

What is that floats your boat??...what do you want from your vinyl??

In reality only you can answer that. so if I was you that's where I would start.

A suggestion would be to spend your budget upgrading on what you already have....a better arm, cabling, support, phono stage etc.

Alternatively go and audition products in your price range making comparisons....all good fun! :)

If you are not familiar with "old school" decks I would steer clear as that can lead to all sorts of late nights getting the gear back up to spec....still all good fun tho!! :P

Hope this helps

Tase

Edited by Tasebass

Steve,

What is that floats your boat??...what do you want from your vinyl??

In reality only you can answer that. so if I was you that's where I would start.

A suggestion would be to spend your budget upgrading on what you already have....a better arm, cabling, support, phono stage etc.

Alternatively go and audition products in your price range making comparisons....all good fun! :)

If you are not familiar with "old school" decks I would steer clear as that can lead to all sorts of late nights getting the gear back up to spec....still all good fun tho!! :P

Hope this helps

Tase

Thanks for the reply Tase, I want my vinyl to sound good and be engaging to listen to. I also want it to look good.

My phono stage is about as good as Conrad Johnson can make them and I have Nordost cables, but I could definitely look at better support. The Sound Reference arm is very good and an upgrade to this model probably isn't practical, but I am not sure.

You're right this is a fun process and I am enjoying playing the oldies and loving the quality and art work of the new vinyl I have picked up.

I would like to try something different though, but it's not that easy to hear or compare the "old school" and the investment in something good, is significant, so I was hoping to hear opinions from those that have them and maybe get a bit of guidance. I don't mind a bit of wood as can be seen from my system set up, so that is a bit of a guideline.

Cheers,

Steve

post-142611-0-50750200-1392333404_thumb.

$1K-$3k would buy a pretty nice cartridge....... :) ...or a Record cleaning machine. This will be my next purchase!!!

ATB

Tase.

Hi Steve,

Re an upgrade, I have one word, which I think is highly relevant and that is 'synergy'. You are putting together an awesome system, and it all takes time, and it should all be fun. So far as suggestions, I agree with Tasebass a cartridge would be great, although I noticed you have ready upgraded. I've heard a few turntables and settled with the Clearaudio Performance DC. In Australia it comes with a Virtuoso MM cartridge, which is a really nice cartridge. But does not come close to a good MC cartridge. Hence,

So so far as a turntable I suggest a Clearaudio or a VPI. So far as a cartridge I suggest the Clearaudio Concerto v2 MC,, which you can pick up for about 2900 Ozzie dollars or less. Before you undertake any upgrade you Need to consider what you wish to achieve and if it's a more natural true to life concert/pub band sound then 'Go down the upgrade side., and enjoy.

Cheers

Hi Steve,

Re an upgrade, I have one word, which I think is highly relevant and that is 'synergy'. You are putting together an awesome system, and it all takes time, and it should all be fun. So far as suggestions, I agree with Tasebass a cartridge would be great, although I noticed you have ready upgraded. I've heard a few turntables and settled with the Clearaudio Performance DC. In Australia it comes with a Virtuoso MM cartridge, which is a really nice cartridge. But does not come close to a good MC cartridge. Hence,

So so far as a turntable I suggest a Clearaudio or a VPI. So far as a cartridge I suggest the Clearaudio Concerto v2 MC,, which you can pick up for about 2900 Ozzie dollars or less. Before you undertake any upgrade you Need to consider what you wish to achieve and if it's a more natural true to life concert/pub band sound then 'Go down the upgrade side., and enjoy.

Cheers

Thanks C, I think the CJ Gat would go a long way to making most things sound pretty special. I will be very interested on your reports of your new phono stage when you get it.

The Druids deliver a very life like "live music" presentation and I like that. The Benz cartridge works very well in this set up, I hope to get out and audition some more TT's soon.

Cheers,

Steve