Sign in to follow this  
hugo_wilco

IKEA don't do this to vinyl lovers!

Awful news...gonna get me some more this weekend!

I'm glad I've just had a 5*5 set of shelves delivered.

Last week, my wife and I were listening to some music together ( a rare occurrence as both kids were actually asleep).

I mentioned that my 4*2 shelves were full and there were now records spelling onto the shelf under my gear. I suggested that I may wish to purchase another set of shelves…maybe another 4*2 or perhaps something smaller, as I thought I'd probably bought all the older albums I wanted, but may just want to get a few new ones every now and then.

She turned to me and said, just get a 5*5, you're going to need the space!

What a wonderful wife I have!!

geeeeeepers!

this should be an election issue! (SA only prob at the mo)

You can buy an Ikea copy from Bunning's warehouse.

sucks ! 

TT not seen this ikea copy...anyone with experience of it ?

The IKEA quality is progressively getting worse and cheaper made in China - certainly not a patch on what they used to be like.

Clever cube @ Bunning's.  Have not used them but have seen them at Bunning's thou and looked very similar.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/handy-storage-4-x-4-clever-cube-storage-unit_p2581136

post-105087-0-48939300-1392809927_thumb.

Edited by turntable

Stumbled upon a 8 cubed Ikea unit in my local dust shop last Thursday - scratched a bit, but presentable for $48.

post-104420-0-74147600-1392816801_thumb.

Just bought this bookcase!

Yet, it's still just a collection of planks on the floor.

I use the  IKEA BILLY Bookcase for records  and have x4 around my room.They double as 2D diffusers!!

Stump

post-109524-0-97483800-1392853072_thumb.

The Expedit is being replaced by a different model which is almost identical in looks and internal dimensions are the same. Don't fret guys.

The Expedit is being replaced by a different model which is almost identical in looks and internal dimensions are the same. Don't fret guys.

From what I understand the shelves are thinner, as a cube full of vinyl already exceeds the maximum recommended weight, it will be interesting to see if they can support the weight.

post #9

From what I understand the shelves are thinner, as a cube full of vinyl already exceeds the maximum recommended weight, it will be interesting to see if they can support the weight.

Double the shelves then?

I've never bought anything from Ikea, but I've had a look at some of their racks (although not the vinyl friendly ones mentioned here). I was actually looking for a table/stand to put a new TV on, and maybe some gear underneath.

All I found was poor quality, rather shoddy looking stuff, none of which suited my requirements. It was cheap, but for not much more I could get something much better elsewhere.

I also cannot stand their store layout, the way it is organised into a sort of infinite loop which traps you inside until you accidentally discover there really is an exit!

I've never bought anything from Ikea, but I've had a look at some of their racks (although not the vinyl friendly ones mentioned here). I was actually looking for a table/stand to put a new TV on, and maybe some gear underneath.

All I found was poor quality, rather shoddy looking stuff, none of which suited my requirements. It was cheap, but for not much more I could get something much better elsewhere.

I also cannot stand their store layout, the way it is organised into a sort of infinite loop which traps you inside until you accidentally discover there really is an exit!

I have a 5x5 Expedit for the kids toys but the place is a hell hole.

I was going to rush out buy a one wide 5 tall unit. Are we saying it's still going to be around just called something else ? We like the current range. :)

I use the  IKEA BILLY Bookcase for records  and have x4 around my room.They double as 2D diffusers!!

Stump

attachicon.gifbilly-bookcase__43604_PE139447_S4.jpg

I thought the depth of a Billy is 28cm.     A lp in a cover is at least 31cm depth.

Don't the lp's stick out?

Ikea is not made as well as it has been , bought some last weekend , screw holes not lining up  ( off centre ) finish is poor. :(

Ikea quality has always been patchy.  Some of their stuff is outstanding - functional, well designed and finished and strongly constructed at bargain basement prices.

Other stuff is the dross that contributes to the poor reputation they have with a lot of people.

I'm happy to be a discerning buyer and get their stuff when it does the same job at a fraction of the price of the "quality stuff" and I can cite numerous examples of this.  Even some of the rubbishy items they sell can still occasionally be ideal for a specific purpose with a little modification.

For those that find their store layout frustrating, incomprehensible or just plain weird, I can certainly understand why.  But I'm comfortable negotiating it to get the outcome I want.

To me it's horses for courses - eg need a cheap, basic DIY kitchen for a shack (or shed ;) ), some large, sturdy acceptable-looking wardrobes for garage storage or a basic modifiable shelf unit? - Ikea rules! :)

But for truly fine furniture to keep forever, find a really good local craftsman. :thumb:    

Edited by Tony M