calis

JBL Discussion & Owner's Thread

There are a lot of options with both JBL and TAD if you are capable of quality DIY for a lot less money for some of us mere mortals.

31 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

If I had that sort of money, the TAD's would be my choice over the Everest, for sure, from the tiny little bit I have heard of both. Would need more listening time before purchase I guess, and it's not a problem I'll have any time soon. :D 

Only thing with TAD is there is the Evo One (haven't heard, would be interesting) then a big jump up to the Ref 1's, would be great if they had something a bit in-betweeny.

But OT.

IMHO, the Everest is not a configuration I would go for even if I liked the sound and could afford. The 2 x 15” drivers side by side is not something I believe would work well in anything other than a really big room. A vertical stack would be better...I think...for me.

Had a chance to hear some 4365s the other day and they did sound really good. The 476Mg is a really nice driver.

2 hours ago, skies2clear said:

IMHO, the Everest is not a configuration I would go for even if I liked the sound and could afford. The 2 x 15” drivers side by side is not something I believe would work well in anything other than a really big room. A vertical stack would be better...I think...for me.

I tend to Agree--I went with an open mind to listen to the configuration below--having owned JBL Jubals/L100's in the past--and I frankly lasted all

of 5 minutes--sadly it was rather strident and non cohesive Bass--most disappointing-not playing my music did not help either--I'm sure

a better environment  would possible auger well for improvement.

I wandered down to the TAD room-- sorry to say too forward and in ya face for Moi too😉

Willco

RMAF 065 R.jpg

4 hours ago, skies2clear said:

Had a chance to hear some 4365s the other day and they did sound really good. The 476Mg is a really nice driver.

Yes am also a fan of the 4367s but have not been able to land some just yet 

21 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Yes am also a fan of the 4367s but have not been able to land some just yet 

They were sounding really good at the 2016 Melb show but none of the JBL stuff was that great last year. No doubt because of setup. It just goes to show how critical it is to getting a good result. Generally much cheaper systems that have been setup well in homes perform far better than most of the demos at hifi shows no matter what the price.

I'd like to get my mits on the M2, but not using the recommended Crown amps to drive them. I like the wave guide idea on them even better than the 4367 type, but hey, a pair of 4367's would be great.

2 hours ago, Willco said:

I tend to Agree--I went with an open mind to listen to the configuration below--having owned JBL Jubals/L100's in the past--and I frankly lasted all

of 5 minutes--sadly it was rather strident and non cohesive Bass--most disappointing-not playing my music did not help either--I'm sure

a better environment  would possible auger well for improvement.

I wandered down to the TAD room-- sorry to say too forward and in ya face for Moi too😉

Willco

RMAF 065 R.jpg

I am very sure the stridency you refer to is not inherent in the speaker though. I've heard other JBL Synthesis gear and it was detailed but smooth and natural. Something was up with that demo last year in Melb.

Guest yamaha_man
2 minutes ago, skies2clear said:

Something was up with that demo last year in Melb.

The crap music would be my starting point, absolute SWILL!!!!

39 minutes ago, skies2clear said:

They were sounding really good at the 2016 Melb show but none of the JBL stuff was that great last year. No doubt because of setup. It just goes to show how critical it is to getting a good result. Generally much cheaper systems that have been setup well in homes perform far better than most of the demos at hifi shows no matter what the price.

I'd like to get my mits on the M2, but not using the recommended Crown amps to drive them. I like the wave guide idea on them even better than the 4367 type, but hey, a pair of 4367's would be great.

Heaven forbid Crown/(Amcron?) good PA Amps--awful Hi Fidelity ones😡  BJD in Bourke St used to push the 150/300 series ad finitum--the damn Amps

threw our more DC than Music I reckon!

Willco

2 hours ago, skies2clear said:

Ok, I thought they sounded great last year, haha there you go.

I heard about three lines of Fear Of The Dark by Maiden though them and thought, that sounds fantastic but someone changed the song.

2 hours ago, Willco said:

Heaven forbid Crown/(Amcron?) good PA Amps--awful Hi Fidelity ones😡  BJD in Bourke St used to push the 150/300 series ad finitum--the damn Amps

threw our more DC than Music I reckon!

Willco

I've repaired enough of the damn things to wholeheartedly agree. Well, let's face it, Harman have to recommend Crown don't they!

Edited by skies2clear

Will keep an eye on the TAD developments that Joe posted earlier but am thinking of going JBL, was in a possie to get some 4367's a little while back but the seller didn't respond for whatever reason and the world turned again. My Lenehan ML5's are very revealing, they are excellent speakers but as we know, garbage in-garbage out and I listen to garbage. Well, I listen to awesome music made with crap mastering and garbage sound engineers. :D 

I might be wrong but I think JBL's might be better for my rock and metal. Will try a few changes in the front end first though. Am going to go back to a more mid fi setup I think, hi fi doesn't suit the material I like.

Hey Daz, the new TAD model is essentially a floor standing ME1. It will be a 'cheaper' E1.

3 hours ago, Darren69 said:

I might be wrong but I think JBL's might be better for my rock and metal. Will try a few changes in the front end first though. Am going to go back to a more mid fi setup I think, hi fi doesn't suit the material I like.

I mean this with respect, but I really think you've gotten yourself lost in this music playback hobby if you think that lower fidelity with provide something better overall for you.

Try and explain what it is about your current system that doesn't quite do enough for you regarding rock/metal?

Edited by Satanica

13 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I mean this with respect, but I really think you've gotten yourself lost in this music playback hobby if you think that lower fidelity with provide something better overall for you.

Try and explain what it is about your current system that doesn't quite do enough for you regarding rock/metal?

Don't want to derail the thread but most of my music now sounds harsh due to how revealing the system is of the recording and most (I reckon 80%) of my recordings are very average. And as you know, have given most things a try. But my room is average as well and that's not going to change soon, not without a Lotto win. So, am going to do some rabbit-hole withdrawal. :D 

Hopefully get back to being a music lover like I was years ago with a Sony Integrated complete with equaliser and some Bose Studiocraft 1000 floorstanders.

4 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Don't want to derail the thread but most of my music now sounds harsh due to how revealing the system is of the recording and most (I reckon 80%) of my recordings are very average. And as you know, have given most things a try. But my room is average as well and that's not going to change soon, not without a Lotto win. So, am going to do some rabbit-hole withdrawal. :D 

Hopefully get back to being a music lover like I was years ago with a Sony Integrated complete with equaliser and some Bose Studiocraft 1000 floorstanders.

Sorry Darren. You are only allowed to listen to Diana Krall and Steely Dan records from now on. It's the only solution.

😛

Noooooooooooooooooooo.

24 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

OK, it's good that you can explain what you don't like. I think you most likely need more and more even bass, and less high frequency reflection. I think that your favourite music might be better produced than you give credit for. And most importantly your predicted next course of action(s) might not achieve what you want. Those JBL's might be a lot closer to the fidelity of your current speakers than you give credit for, who knows without any real objective information they may be superior. As I too mainly listen to metal/rock I think the whole "too much fidelity is a bad thing for the genre" is simply not true.

Edited by Satanica

Guest yamaha_man
1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

most of my music now sounds harsh due to how revealing the system is of the recording and most (I reckon 80%) of my recordings are very average.

I have known that feeling for years, the main reason I have kept these.

They are more forgiving on a **** mix.

AF19255F-78F7-4625-BD67-11405C504E8E.jpeg

This resembles a conversation I've had many times over:

4 hours ago, Darren69 said:

1 hour ago, Satanica said:

1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

Don't want to derail the thread but most of my music now sounds harsh due to how revealing the system is of the recording and most (I reckon 80%) of my recordings are very average. 

The experience goes something like this. You have fairly conventional and well regarded hifi box speakers in a fairly normal room. Reference tracks (the kind you hear at hifi shows) sound great but the music you love sounds terrible. I have many clients asking if room treatment can fix this problem. My answer after listening to their system and then testing their room is very often that treatment will often give an improvement but this isn't primarily a room acoustics issue. I find that it's usually about the relationship between their speakers and their music. Put simply, they don't like the tonal balance of their speakers. The solutions most likely to help are:

• different speakers (sometimes you've chosen speakers that just don't suit)
  • modifying your speakers (many ways to do this including adjusting placement and toe in, crossover changes or EQ)

If the speakers in question are not in some way flawed, the issue may simply be a question of tonal balance.

I think it could surprise many people to realise how dramatically you can change a speaker, from unlistenable to engaging and musical.

17 minutes ago, Red Spade Audio said:

Reference tracks (the kind you hear at hifi shows) sound great but the music you love sounds terrible.

In this case though I believe we're not just talking about different levels of recording quality, but different genres.

How often does metal get played at hifi shows and/or is considered reference?

A lot of that "reference material" doesn't place the physical demands that metal can on speakers.

A lot of rooms have too much reverberation for metal but might actually create a nice ambience with that slow and simple "reference material" (one chick and her acoustic guitar).

Edited by Satanica

19 minutes ago, Red Spade Audio said:

I think it could surprise many people to realise how dramatically you can change a speaker, from unlistenable to engaging and musical.

@Paul Spencer I definitely agree with you! Which is part of the reason there really is no ideal speaker that everyone will like under all conditions... trust your ears, and don't be afraid to stray from what others tell you is right ;)

3 minutes ago, m8audio said:

@Paul Spencer I definitely agree with you! Which is part of the reason there really is no ideal speaker that everyone will like under all conditions... trust your ears, and don't be afraid to stray from what others tell you is right ;)

I think you misunderstood, unless I'm wrong Red Spade was referring to changing a speaker from unlistenable to engaging and musical; not changing speakers.

• modifying your speakers (many ways to do this including adjusting placement and toe in, crossover changes or EQ)

If the speakers in question are not in some way flawed, the issue may simply be a question of tonal balance.

+1

I found room reflections affecting the midband was problematic at decent volume levels,  I found closed curtains and more acoustic padding/ less reflective surfaces really makes a big difference - especially at louder volumes  and adjusting EQ for different types of music (when being pedantic)..if you have dsp 

31 minutes ago, Red Spade Audio said:

@Satanica same same... the issue is tonal balance unless the speaker is flawed.