Sign in to follow this  
calis

JBL Discussion & Owner's Thread

Anyone interested in JBL background information might like to have a look around the Lansing Heritage website or if really interested spend a few dollars on John Eargles  "The JBL Story."

Cheers Mike

Anyone interested in JBL background information might like to have a look around the Lansing Heritage website or if really interested spend a few dollars on John Eargles  "The JBL Story."

Cheers Mike

I am interested, but first I would like to know if it full of 'dirt files', which is more likely to depress me than provide any reading enjoyment. I don't need that style.

The Lansing Heritage website is a treasure, I do enjoy it.

I am interested, but first I would like to know if it full of 'dirt files', which is more likely to depress me than provide any reading enjoyment.

I don't think you would be disappointed in the book. Certainly no dirt files, just a somewhat dry but appeciative look at the history of JBL and a reminder of the contributions of some of the great engineers who worked there.

Just had a look its now available as a Kindle edition for around $ 17

Cheers Mike

Cheers Mike

I have that book, very nice, but not as informative as the heritage website.

I had always thought of JBL as brash and loud - probably due to the British sound being in vogue when I got into audio.

A few years ago, I wanted to build my own loudspeakers, and wanted a high efficiency bass driver. I took a punt on a Wolf Von Langa 15" field coil - 150WVL, which is a rebuilt JBL K145, with the alnico magnet replace by the electromagnetic motor. The K145 was a professional music bass (bass guitar/organ) driver, and was the predecessor of the E145, used in the original Everest.

I have to say that I was not disappointed. It doesn't do the lowest bass, but it really punches, and had the most gorgeous rich tone.

I heard Bryan's (LPG) horn speakers on a number of occasions, and thought the JBL berylium midrange was wonderful. Would love to hear some of the upper end JBLs like the recent K2 and Everest.

I use an old set of JBL L86s as the L/R front speakers in my surround setup.  Great with movies, surprisingly nice on 2 channel music.

Had a pair of HUGE JBL monitors on loan from a mate many (many) years ago while he was overseas for a year, I forget which model.  They were tight, authoritative, easy to drive and remarkably insensitive to room positioning.  A joy to use.

Yes, all the history aside, as I have said here and in other posts, I saw some S4700's in an ad once, went and listened to some and went very close to paying $15k for a pair of the big muthas. Maybe a good thing I wasn't at all affected by the history as I simply had no knowledge of it. ;)

Edited by Darren69

Guest Karl Rand

Hey karl.

Your post pre-supposes that JBL have in fact "risen from the ashes", I'm not that optimistic.

I must be going deaf then.

Hi Calis,

I bought a pair of JBL's in about 1985 had them for about 15 years, awesome speakers. That being said, I have not heard the latest series.  As a general rule I highly recommend that you listen to them prior to forking out any money. I find that the sound emanating from speakers is very subjective to ones ear. Good luck

Kind regards

Anyone heard/demo'd a pair of S3900's??

ATB

Tase.

I haven't but they look awesome, would be worth a trip to a dealer that has demo's methinks Tase.

They look like a little bro to the S4700's I had a listen to up at Trimira in Brissy. They were great.

JBL fan here, my first were Xti's and now LS80s. Id love to step up but dont have the $$$. 

This whole money system stops me doing a lot of stuff I want to do too Husq. Am trying to figue out a way around it. ;)

Re Naim

Not for $100 and sold at JBHI ;)

This year Naim introduced a $200,000 amplifier and the $1500 MUSO to compete with the B&W Zeppelin.

That way you can buy a MUSO and dream it has DNA in common with a Statement.

Your "brand identity" is everything these days. It always has been but today we live in the world of social media etc. jBL would know that and their niche is the studio/ pro look and feel, or the perception of that.

Edited by Briz Vegas

This whole money system stops me doing a lot of stuff I want to do too Husq. Am trying to figue out a way around it. ;)

I feel your pain unfortunately this usually involves something inappropriate ;)   

Guest Misterioso

JBL's new 3 Series of active studio monitors gets very good reviews. I would like to listen to them some day. They are incredibly cheap: The LSR305 is just $300 a pair.

Bloody eck. might be a novel shed system. ;)

I see some S4700's around now with an attached price of $22k!!!

One hell of a hike compared to when first saw them @ around $15k.

Hi there.

Maybe this is a good place to ask... Does anyone know who the Australian JBL Pro distributor is now? It use to be Jands and jblpro.com says it is

cmi@cmi.com.au

but that site does not seem to have much JBL stuff at all. I'm after some of their studio monitors.

Edited by J.W

15 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Sorry e-hifi (or Convoy International) is only normal JBL & not professional.

However  I found these guys that carry the models you were looking at

https://www.bavasmusic.com.au/computer-recording-dj/monitoring/speakers/?cn=1360&rf=cn

I've found a few places online that sell them and will contact them but I'm wondering who the AU distributor is now. Anyone know? I'm wondering why Jands lost the distribution rights... I have dealt with Jands before and they were excellent but their prices were quite high compared to the same products from overseas... this is even after taking into account freight, insurance, duty, gst.

Why does it matter who the distributor is? Plenty of AU retailer's around found by a quick google search for the models you specified.