Sign in to follow this  
calis

JBL Discussion & Owner's Thread

Guest yamaha_man

I think the reason JBL high end get little interest is just brand, they make $100 iPod docks, people spending big bucks want exclusivity

I don't think so, I went from Wilson Audio to Pioneer (TAD) and pioneer sell a lot at jb Hifi and the likes. Pioneers also makes a lot of ****, didn't influence my decision at all and I'm more than happy with the upgrade.

Edited by yamaha_man

I don't think so, I went from Wilson Audio to Pioneer (TAD) and pioneer sell a lot at jb Hifi and the likes. Pioneers also makes a lot of ****, didn't influence my decision at all and I'm more than happy with the upgrade.

True, but then I was talking about the average audio fool and you Sir are neither average nor a fool !

There are definite brand connotations, some can see past those, others can't. Can name you countless brands, some of which I own/ed gear from that people turn their noses up on because they come from companies that also make affordable gear. They can't see that these brands while can make affordable gear can also make top flight stuff... Oh well their loss !

I've heard the same of top end brands more humble base models some will malign those to say they are pretty stripped out and your paying for the brand. I got that with a 2nd off the bottom range nakamichi tape deck where someone told me I was better off spending my money on something else as it was no dragon gees never mind how awesome it was as tape deck hehe. !

It's hard putting peoples perceptions/bias and subconscious aside and take on face value... some can some cant ... Oh well :)

Henry, you can't always judge simply by the basket. Often the exact same basket will be used by different brands of driver. Other times you will find a very similar and almost identical basket is made by different manufacturers. You may be looking at a stock driver, or it may be an OEM version or possibly even a custom modified OEM.

I have very little listening experience with JBL, but two things in particular I appreciate about the brand:

1. They actually use realistic sensitivity ratings in a market that so often likes to publish fairytale sensitivity specs.

With JBL you might see a big 15" speaker with a rating of say 94 dB and 35 Hz bass extension, where others claim nonsense figures.

2. Innovative engineering and R&D.

+1 on Pauls comments,

I am interested in actually listening to some of the JBL new stuff.  I can’t see why if it sounded good at the show (in some members opinions) then it would not be worth an audition.  Put your perceptions aside - worst that can happen is that you don’t like them.

yes, especially for subwoofers like what AE used, i saw plenty of those in Canton Fair China, but not for the SB, SEAS nor Scan :)

I like the new ones a lot, they sound good. The again I like 1970s Sony amps, and there's a brand that turns people right off!

I like the new ones a lot, they sound good. The again I like 1970s Sony amps, and there's a brand that turns people right off!

not me, always been a fan of their ES disc players and theyve  made some very nice gear over the years. but yeah sure people are allowed to have their individual tastes and preferences right :D

TAD is hardly perceived in the same way "Pioneer" is. More like Lexus and Toyota. 

Calis,

If you like the sound of the JBLs, buy 'em. The rest is bullsh*t...

Cheers

M

TAD is hardly perceived in the same way "Pioneer" is. More like Lexus and Toyota. 

blinky,

If you ever strip down a Lexus, Toyota stamps are everywhere.

Tase.

Yes and the TADs are made by Pioneer but the perception of quality as well as the real quality is quite different.

I ran a full active set up comprising drivers from JBL 4355 monitors throughout most of the nineties..

Whist not really relevant in this post, the SQ was as dynamic and profound as you will ever find!!

I should therefore imagine today's stuff will have some of that DNA

I want a big pair of JBL's again...badly

Tase.

interesting history there,

http://eu.jbl.com/jbl-history-eu.html

Thanks for rubbing that in, ;) Al, much appreciated!

Warmest Regards under the Circumstances,

Steve.

Edited by Number 9

Mee too Tassebass.

Edited by Darren69

Yes and the TADs are made by Pioneer but the perception of quality as well as the real quality is quite different.

As is Esoteric and TEAC.

So why isn't the manufacturers name used instead of some fancy one that the manufacture choose any way......and then wants you to know this!!!

Everyone Knows a Lexus is a Toyota......We all know TAD is Pioneer......Esoteric is Teac..

Tase.

The reason for JBL's decline in reputation can be traced back to two words, Syd Harmon.

His greed destroyed the engineering reputation of the company in what can only be described as "a death by 1000 cuts".

Step one was kind of small, in the old days the people who wound the voice coils would hand over to the Metrology Department who would precisely measure the diameter of each individual voice coil marking each one with the exact diameter, the guys who machined the pole pieces would go through the same process, each one measured exactly and marked. This allows the people assembling the motor system to individually match the right voice coil to the right magnet assembly with absolute precision. Then somebody in the accounts department had the bright idea of cutting the cost of this time-consuming process by introducing some "new technology". Rather than fitting an individual voice coil to a specific motor system, why not put the voice coil on expanding aluminium mandrel and stretching it to suit whatever motor might be to hand. Huge cost saving versus a "slight" reduction in performance.

Step two was when somebody in the accounts department had the bright idea of replacing the Alnico V magnet with ceramic ferrite magnets which were "almost as good, but way cheaper". Again, a "slight" reduction in performance but a big increase in gross profit.

Shortly after this, the ownership of JBL changed hands on almost weekly basis, as Syd sold the company to anybody who could pony up his asking price. Then he would wait until the new owners monumentally f**cked up at which point he would buy the company back from them at cents on the dollar below the original acquisition price, then wait for the next poor schmuck to come along and then repeat the process ad infintum.

At one point, things had reached the stage where the only thing coming out of Northridge were the labels applied to the back of the now Japanese Built Loudspeakers which carried the words "Printed in the USA".

Then came the infamous Radiance series, which featured all low-grade chipboard enclosures and the first of the deeply sh*tfull polypropylene bass drivers.Again, only a "marginal" reduction in performance for a large reduction in manufacturing cost and a commensurate increase in gross profit.

At the time, Penny Lane did an ad in the Green Guide featuring the new JBL loudspeaker range "Now Featuring Washable Bass".

A couple of years later, I was having dinner with Steen Sloth, the then CEO of Scan Speak, when I asked the question "Listen Steen, you know that I know that polypropylene bass drivers sound sh*thouse. And I know that you know that polypropylene bass drivers sound sh*thouse, so why do you make them? His reply "Because Americans like to buy them".

By this time, the only JBL speaker systems of any real worth were being manufactured in Scandinavia, solely for the Scandinavian market, who refused to buy the mainstream JBL product.

I hope this goes somewhere towards explaining why the JBL brand(at least IM(NR)HO currently lacks credibility.

Steve

Edited by Number 9

132444.jpg
“It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation, but you can lose it in a minute.”

― Will Rogers

Guest Karl Rand

The reason for JBL's decline in reputation can be traced back to two words, Syd Harmon.

His greed destroyed the engineering reputation of the company in what can only be described as "a death by 1000 cuts".,   ,   ,   ,   ,,  , , , , ,   ,,  ,,  ,,,  ,,  ,,,  ,,   ,,, , , , ,,,      ,   ,

.  .  . 

I hope this goes somewhere towards explaining why the JBL brand(at least IM(NR)HO currently lacks credibility.

Steve

Fascinating history - thanks Steve. I wish we could read a similar exposure of a number of other companies who destroyed their own reputation then arose from the ashes again. Luxman and Marantz come to mind.

Who owns JBL now? Might be a good to time to buy shares if it's public.

Edited by Karl Rand

Fascinating history - thanks Steve. I wish we could read a similar exposure of a number of other companies who destroyed their own reputation then arose from the ashes again. Luxman and Marantz come to mind.

Who owns JBL now? Might be a good to time to buy shares if it's public.

Hey karl.

Your post pre-supposes that JBL have in fact "risen from the ashes", I'm not that optimistic.

As to the other brands you listed , I've got thirty plus years of dirt on file on all of them. Stay Tuned.

Edited by Number 9

Guest yamaha_man

Lexus = Toyota for me.

Lexus = Toyota for me.

Yes but that's not my point. Ask a Lexus owner which car they drive and they won't answer "Toyota" (even though we both know who makes it). Similarly you didn't introduce your new TAD speakers by saying you'd bought some "Pioneers" as there's justified cachet in the former.

Guest yamaha_man

My name Is Joe and I own Pioneer speakers, happy now?

This is a great thread, nearly ruined by personal remarks and digs. It's been cleaned.

Continue gentlemen.