Sign in to follow this  
calis

JBL Discussion & Owner's Thread

16 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Mate, forget the new. Get the Blue.

Image result for jbl 4435

Ahhh, my old 4350’s what a great set of speakers. As discussed room treatment is absolutely critical for good sound. My place is ok but I know it can be better. Once my 2 new projects are done I will dig into room acoustics cause it’s worth the time and money.

20 hours ago, Grant Slack said:

Hello Paul. Could you expand on this point a little more please, for my benefit? How does this diffraction occur? How would you change a crossover to deal with it?

I was reading the comments from The Boss on his K2 with its rear port. As far as I can tell, from the way bass frequencies emanate from a port, it should make no difference, to the bass response and room interaction, whether the port is on the front, bottom (with a sufficient gap) or back of a speaker. What are your thoughts on this?

Regards

Grant

Dave answered the first part well.

Coming to the second part ... there are two separate issues. The first is quite basic. Any port needs clearance to work properly. With front ports or downfiring, the designer has insured you can't muck this up. With rear ports there is the risk that you might push it too close to the wall and block it. There are 3 basic things that can happen depending on the gap:

1. Free and clear - you have enough clearance for it to work as designed

2. Blocked - bass output is blocked and the speaker behaves more like a sealed box

3. Mixed - with the right gap, the area around the port becomes like an extension of the port, slightly altering the tuning but also at high output, altering how the speaker behaves

The second issue is probably more sigificant. The position of the port can impact the room interaction. A rear port, depending on the depth of the speaker, will be closer to the rear wall. It might result in a better bass response. A downfiring port has the port closer to the floor - often this is an advantage in terms of the speaker-room interaction. You can measure this - often a woofer or port closer to the floor measures better.

Keeping in mind that with a ported speaker, both the woofer and port will interact with the room, depending on the relative position of each to the room boundaries.

5 hours ago, Marc said:

IME near field listening is a completely different experience with a completey different set of rules. Whether that's because the room and its relationship to the speakers is less of an issue, I am not sure (but I suspect this is the reason). Someone like Paul, with a solid grasp of all things acoustics, can probably offer a better explanation.

I've found it much easier to set up and listen to just about any speaker in a near field application.

By nearfield do you mean right up close as you would in a studio? Or just quite a bit closer than people would normally use?

Assuming we're not talking about a studio style nearfield situation, in any room it's about the ratio of direct sound (from the speaker only) to reverberant sound (all the sound that bounces around the room and arrives at your ears). A lot of people start with a very strong reverberant field. Speakers too close to the wall, listening position too far back into the room. Sometimes it's a compromise you have to live with, but if you have the choice, the first thing to do is bring your speakers out from the wall (and often toe them in a bit). And then bring forward your listening chair. You might start with an equilateral triangle and then move back a bit from that. When you change just these two things, the sound stage can improve significantly. When you add treatment, one of the things you are doing is changing that ratio - you are dialing back the reflected sound. The sound becomes more clear, more transparent, more neutral.

One of the tricky things about speaker placement is that you are changing many things at the same time. The position relative to the boundaries will change the bass and low midrange - sometimes some things better, others worse. You can measure this but often the result is a mixed bag, so it can lead to confusion about what to do. You're also changing the sound stage - the depth and the width most noticably. This is the thing most easily picked up just by listening and I would argue it's also the thing that should mostly drive the decision about what sounds best. You can correct for bass and low midrange fairly easily but once you kill the sound stage with poor placement, there is no other solution. Except in some cases, speakers better suited to your room and ambitions.

Yes not optimal, but matching speaker size and room size is a myth.

In general I agree - it's a myth. Size is poor predictor of how well a speaker will work in a room.

Edited by Red Spade Audio

6 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I used to think the same, but I've heard a couple of horn systems (JBL everest clones) where the seating position is essentially near field.

The imaging and coherence was astounding, no issues at all. 

Na thats not what I meant, what I was trying to say was some designs require a certain listing distance for all drivers to 'become as one' for lack of a better description. Im sure If you sat 1m from mammoth speakers such as Joz's SGR's then all you would hear is the driver closest to your ears where as with mine and your previous Zingali's  being a 2 way design I think allows for a closer listening position than a speaker with 5+ drivers and you wouldn't class my JBL's or Zingali's as being particularly small speakers.

8 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Na thats not what I meant, what I was trying to say was some designs require a certain listing distance for all drivers to 'become as one' for lack of a better description. Im sure If you sat 1m from mammoth speakers such as Joz's SGR's then all you would hear is the driver closest to your ears...

I did that, it's freaking great.

Very interested to hear how these sound at the Audio show.

JBL-Synthesis.jpg

11 minutes ago, Tony ray said:

JBL-Synthesis.jpg

I hope they sound better than they look 🙂

36 minutes ago, Tony ray said:

JBL-Synthesis.jpg

Any info on what will be demo'd? 

As my house comprises of many 70's archways these would blend right in I reckon.

28 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Any info on what will be demo'd? 

As my house comprises of many 70's archways these would blend right in I reckon.

There the new JBL synthesis range that were featured on stereonet awhile back.

55 minutes ago, awayward said:

I hope they sound better than they look 🙂

I thought they looked great. Maybe im livin the 70s

12 minutes ago, Tony ray said:

There the new JBL synthesis range that were featured on stereonet awhile back.

I thought they looked great. Maybe im livin the 70s

Remember this?

6 minutes ago, rantan said:

Remember this?

Yes I loved Skyhooks. And Shirls Neibourhood. Pity he couldn't drive a Chopper. Maybe he should of gone to Nam and learnt how to fly instead of being a rock star. 

Thems the breaks.

8 minutes ago, Tony ray said:

Yes I loved Skyhooks. And Shirls Neibourhood. Pity he couldn't drive a Chopper. Maybe he should of gone to Nam and learnt how to fly instead of being a rock star. 

Thems the breaks.

Nope. anyone in the right( or wrong )mind would have steered well of the hell hole where a sovereign country was invaded by America purely on an idealogical basis.

Anyway, Shirl died as he lived...having fun, doing what he wanted. One cannot ask for more.

Edit:apologies to all for the OT. Normal transmission is now restored😀

Edited by rantan

48 minutes ago, Tony ray said:

Thems the breaks.

check the fuuel shirl

On 29/06/2018 at 8:57 AM, Marc said:

IME near field listening is a completely different experience

Yes.   It is because of the change in ratio of the direct sound, and the reflected sound.    You are getting "more of the speaker" vs the room.

Many speakers have both poor quality and too much "room sound" .... and moving closer avoids that to some extent.

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 8:09 AM, skies2clear said:

There are a lot of options with both JBL and TAD if you are capable of quality DIY for a lot less money for some of us mere mortals.

Funny topic, my woofer is a TAD, the mid horn and driver JBL and the tweeter is a Pioneer. Very happy with the result.

I could only afford a Toyota though.

On 18/10/2018 at 6:38 AM, maxsimonjp said:

Funny topic, my woofer is a TAD, the mid horn and driver JBL and the tweeter is a Pioneer. Very happy with the result.

I could only afford a Toyota though.

Unboxed to try at home a pristine pair of S3900s

61915763-D97F-40C8-B609-0FB8F361F9BB.jpeg

On 27/10/2018 at 1:34 AM, Lexicon said:

Unboxed to try at home a pristine pair of S3900s

61915763-D97F-40C8-B609-0FB8F361F9BB.jpeg

How did you go with these speakers? Thoughts?

Can take a some moment to talk about JBL 4345 and how the beats has taking over.......