JBL Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi there.

Maybe this is a good place to ask... Does anyone know who the Australian JBL Pro distributor is now? It use to be Jands and jblpro.com says it is

cmi@cmi.com.au

but that site does not seem to have much JBL stuff at all. I'm after some of their studio monitors.

Edited by J.W

15 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Sorry e-hifi (or Convoy International) is only normal JBL & not professional.

However  I found these guys that carry the models you were looking at

https://www.bavasmusic.com.au/computer-recording-dj/monitoring/speakers/?cn=1360&rf=cn

I've found a few places online that sell them and will contact them but I'm wondering who the AU distributor is now. Anyone know? I'm wondering why Jands lost the distribution rights... I have dealt with Jands before and they were excellent but their prices were quite high compared to the same products from overseas... this is even after taking into account freight, insurance, duty, gst.

4 hours ago, kelossus said:

Why does it matter who the distributor is? Plenty of AU retailer's around found by a quick google search for the models you specified.

I'm just curious. I always thought Jands was pricing their products too high. I think they would have made a higher profit overall for themselves and JBL if they had priced them lower. I'm wondering if JBL got fed up with low sales (just speculation) and for that reason changed their AU distributor.

Edited by J.W

On 19/05/2018 at 4:28 PM, J.W said:

Thanks but are they the AU distributor?

Also I'm after some of their small studio monitors, maybe LSR705i or LSR708i.

what are you going to run these with. Im not knowledgeable on this stuff, but as I understand it you need more than a source and amp

It really is a shame what JBL has become, and more so how they treated Greg Timbers , their lead engineer, and who was responsabile for decades of the speakers their legacy was built on. He is a true legend in his field.

Id still try some of their top speakers if I had the dough.... M2 + SUB 18, DD6700, K2 9900, 4365~4367 and Array 1400. Id really like to hear the 705i or 708i as above but need to get my non tech brain to understand the logistics of that.

For now ill have to settle with my little L15s in the garage and my S4600s 

If anyone has some L26, L36 or L56 to sell let me know

Edited by husq2100
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, husq2100 said:

what are you going to run these with. Im not knowledgeable on this stuff, but as I understand it you need more than a source and amp

The speakers need special JBL tuning files or else they don't sound right. These can be provided by Crown DCi N amp/processors such as the DCi8300N. (Alternately if you want to use your own amps, you can and use a BSS Soundweb London processor to handle the tuning files.)

Apparently the DCi N amps have noisy fans so I'm still wondering if I will go this route. Putting the amps in another room would be a hassle. There are also powered versions of these speakers that contain the amps and processors within the speaker box itself. The downside here is that you have to run power to each speaker.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, husq2100 said:

It really is a shame what JBL has become, and more so how they treated Greg Timbers , their lead engineer, and who was responsabile for decades of the speakers their legacy was built on. He is a true legend in his field.

Id still try some of their top speakers if I had the dough.... M2 + SUB 18, DD6700, K2 9900, 4365~4367 and Array 1400. Id really like to hear the 705i or 708i as above but need to get my non tech brain to understand the logistics of that.

For now ill have to settle with my little L15s in the garage and my S4600s 

If anyone has some L26, L36 or L56 to sell let me know

I heard about Greg Timbers. I don't know the details but certainly on the face of it, it doesn't sound too good.

If you want have a listen to the 705 or 708, try auditioning the 705P or 708P. They are the powered versions and are much easier to set up.

I'm not that familiar with the more expensive JBL speakers. How do you find the S4600s?

Edited by J.W
  • Like 1

• Administrator

I love my K2s. A few people who have been here more recently now I have them dialled in to within a inch of their lives would most probably agree how dynamic, and engaging they can be.

And I would agree that Timbers' push was sad and unfair. There is a lengthy thread about it along with commentary from Greg himself on another website somewhere (vintage speakers forum I think).

For me, the K2 does all the things a high-end hi-fi speaker should do, but is one of the few that has the ability to scale up and reproduce the dynamics and realism of a loud live performance, and without the 'honk'. TAD Reference One is the other that springs to mind.

I also have an JBL Array 880 centre and surround speakers which all marry together well for surround which for now, I am running 5.0 channel configuration.

DSCF5921.JPG

DSCF5924.JPG

• Like 5
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, J.W said:

I heard about Greg Timbers. I don't know the details but certainly on the face of it, it doesn't sound too good.

If you want have a listen to the 705 or 708, try auditioning the 705P or 708P. They are the powered versions and are much easier to set up.

I'm not that familiar with the more expensive JBL speakers. How do you find the S4600s?

Ill have to look around, im guessing Brisbane my best bet.

For me they are fantastic! Unfortunately they are in a bad room (sound wise) atm, but thats ok, im just happy I have them. Ive had JBL Xti 100's, LS80's and now these. The LE14H- woofer has much praise and even from Greg himself. The S4600 shares the same top end as the S4700. I just run a simple NAD M51 and NAD C275BEE power amp and Im stoked.... maybe a little ignorant lol but then again thats bliss right ; )

I can only dream of Marc's set up.... 

3 hours ago, Marc said:

I love my K2s. A few people who have been here more recently now I have them dialled in to within a inch of their lives would most probably agree how dynamic, and engaging they can be.

And I would agree that Timbers' push was sad and unfair. There is a lengthy thread about it along with commentary from Greg himself on another website somewhere (vintage speakers forum I think).

For me, the K2 does all the things a high-end hi-fi speaker should do, but is one of the few that has the ability to scale up and reproduce the dynamics and realism of a loud live performance, and without the 'honk'. TAD Reference One is the other that springs to mind.

I also have an JBL Array 880 centre and surround speakers which all marry together well for surround which for now, I am running 5.0 channel configuration.

DSCF5921.JPG

DSCF5924.JPG

Absolutely beautiful set up Marc!

What are you using for surronds? I really wanted a Array 880 centre to go with my S4600 but couldnt afford it. Moot point now im in a one bed unit anyway lol. So my S4600 reside with my folks for the time being. 

From my readings on Lansing forums, the Array were/are a really great speaker. The 1400 being considered well above its weight. Shame the price of the high end JBL here is not that remotely reflective of the exchange rate of retail prices of the US.

Again, well done, not just on the hardware but the asthetics of your room/set up. looks beautiful and really functional. (2 thumbs up)

5 hours ago, husq2100 said:

For me they are fantastic! Unfortunately they are in a bad room (sound wise) atm, but thats ok, im just happy I have them. Ive had JBL Xti 100's, LS80's and now these. The LE14H- woofer has much praise and even from Greg himself. The S4600 shares the same top end as the S4700. I just run a simple NAD M51 and NAD C275BEE power amp and Im stoked.... maybe a little ignorant lol but then again thats bliss right ; )

Talk to Tristan at Trimira.

http://www.trimira.com.au/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, J.W said:

Have heard the S4700's at Trimira and they are very good but the 4367's beat them with nicer highs etc. At the time I went for Focal 1038Be as they also had nicer highs but the 4367's at the Melbourne Hi Fi show last year sounded really good. I try to look for things that make my crap music sound nicer, haha. I have not heard the K2's (though I think they were in the room next to the 4367's?), but never heard them playing, unfortunately.

I currently use Lenehan ML5's, the best speakers I have heard to date for respectable recordings. They take no prisoners when it comes to bad recordings, they play it like it is.

On 27/05/2018 at 11:00 AM, Marc said:

DSCF5921.JPG

DSCF5924.JPG

Wow, great room. Must sound good for sure. But your speakers are definitely out of my price range!

On 27/05/2018 at 2:25 PM, husq2100 said:

I think one of the great things about JBL is that they have many great speakers for all sorts of budgets. Their objective for each speaker is always the same: accurate on and off axis sound.

On 28/05/2018 at 7:53 AM, Darren69 said:

Have heard the S4700's at Trimira and they are very good but the 4367's beat them with nicer highs etc. At the time I went for Focal 1038Be as they also had nicer highs but the 4367's at the Melbourne Hi Fi show last year sounded really good. I try to look for things that make my crap music sound nicer, haha. I have not heard the K2's (though I think they were in the room next to the 4367's?), but never heard them playing, unfortunately.

I currently use Lenehan ML5's, the best speakers I have heard to date for respectable recordings. They take no prisoners when it comes to bad recordings, they play it like it is.

Glad you liked the 4367's. I haven't heard them (or the M2's) but I'd certainly like to at some stage.

• Like 1

I'd love to know the sort of mark up JBL are working on now they retro cool again. Or any ultra "high end" brand for that matter. Can't imagine any speaker costing even a small fraction of the asking price. Yes there are R&D costs, but every product on the market has them too.

I'm sure they sound fantastic but at the asking price I feel it's more about marketing them to the uber rich who want to tell their mates how much they paid. The RRP on the K2's are more than my wife just paid for her fully loaded, brand new, European performance car. I'm sure @Marc was offered a trade deal, so this is not aimed at you Marc, nor is it a comment aimed specifically at JBL.

29 minutes ago, blybo said:

I'd love to know the sort of mark up JBL are working on now they retro cool again. Or any ultra "high end" brand for that matter. Can't imagine any speaker costing even a small fraction of the asking price. Yes there are R&D costs, but every product on the market has them too.

Indeed a lot of it can be R&D.... but there are also other overheads to recover....and it isnt the same for every product...

cant talk speakers specifically.... but having worked in manufacturing most of life, I know the cost of something is not purely the cost of labour and materials but overhead recovery as well (costs of facilities development costs, non value ad costs - costs not directly involved in making).. its a mistake many make in making a value judgement. not saying you are doing this but many are not aware of the sheer costs of even getting to design to manufacture let alone actually making it. there are countless hours that goes into design, many prototypes, much spent in R&D not just in the effort but also in the facilities etc these companies use. the end product sold has to recoup ALL that....volume will decide how much will recoup (per item)and also price point it has to hit to place correctly in the market place. The head of B&W usa (who lost his job with the classe cleanup) did post with the launch of the new 800 series the sheer staggering amount of not just years and professional resource (we are talking oodles of hours of numerous engineers) that went into the new design speakers. it explains their price. keeping in mind all those engineers and facilities would have already started working on the next series probably out in another 6-7-8 years or so and will have to be ground breaking. I read they have recently built a brand new R&D facility....soemone has to pay for that.... or they go bust... am pretty sure with say B&W , Focal, Dynaudio for instance they make things at various price points, the R&D efforts at each and amount of overhead they can recoup(based on volume and price) is going to be quite different depending on speaker. the focal grand utopia for instance which goes into 6 figures would have had goodness knows how much spent on its development that needs to recoup and will sell at much less volume than say a budget stand mount of theirs that relatively simple not needing as much R&D and will sell numerous more and hence its R&D cost component is going to be quite small per speaker.

ive worked in automotive whether they have 10 year development cycles and been involved with even just the design for manufacture aspects where years are spent just pulling apart and reassembling till work out the best most economical way of manufacturing and including numerous re designs to uphold quality of the product. also seen and been part of new product development of faster cycle FMCG goods where its 18 months at most to 3 month down to 2 weeks from concept to market and seen and lived the blood sweat and tears that goes into it. probably something many dont appreciate and can  just look very simplistically that its a bunch of parts probably worth $1000 say $5000 so why does it retail for $40-$50 k ? 

It was explained to me recently probably the best with toyota ... where its a hard grind to save $1-$2 a car in manufacturing cost.... if you can save $15-$20 a car you go down in history ..... 

• Like 4