JBL Owners & Discussion Thread

Henry, Fair enough you didn't specifically say it was a stock SB product but my , not unreasonable, interpretation of your comment was that you were saying its not a "real" JBL woofer ( in the tradition they are justly famous for )

Do you have a credible reference for your claim that this woofer is made by SB

Cheers Mike

Edited by Ando

Henry, This is not the same woofer as the one under discussion.

Your initial post may have been innocent but to me still reads like an attempt to denigrate JBL .

You also posted that Revel use all SB which is false.

If my memory is correct you have previously posted that Wilson use the SB Satori as a midrange in one of their more expensive models which also turned out to be untrue.

I think you are, possibly inadvertently, being unfair to these manufacturers. If your point is that many manufacturers use custom drivers from companies like SB fair enough but I think you should be more careful going beyond that. Maybe you could go back and edit your previous posts to be clearer.

Cheers Mike

Edited by Ando

and now, the 15" 2216ND from the S4700 and M2 Reference....

Tech_R2_zps4d92cc89.jpg

The only approved supplier is JBL Pro Manufacturing. JBL patents 5664023, 5748760, 6768804, 6847726, and 6774510 apply.

OTOH, the approved supplier for the S3900 bass driver is GGEC of China. 

Both transducers were designed by Jerry Moro, Senior Transducer Engineer at JBL. So they are both JBL drivers, and my bet (only guessing) is that the S3900 bass driver is a JBL driver outsourced to GGEC in China and also sold under JBL licence to SBA.

Which is a long, long way from them both being made by SBA.

• Like 2

Which is a long, long way from them both being made by SBA.

good to know. 

i have no intention to denigrate JBL, i suggested JBL few times over other hifi brands. You dont get the bling with JBL, but you got a solid engineering, even though maybe not as exotic as some. 

in regards to REVEL, i apologised for not being clear, the whole Performa3 series are built and made by Sinar Baja Indonesia :)

• Like 1

I somehow feel that they would only play well when really loud. Sort of like a PA speaker

Totally unfounded opinion, just a thought. I feel the same way about all horns though

I reckon if they were in my house for trial, i would buy them

Actually the Studio 590s are the opposite.

Really good with medium powered valve amps.

I heard them with my Almarro 318B which is about 15 watts and a SET and they sounded superb.A breath of fresh air in a world of boringly up-tight and mechanical sounding modern speakers.

• Like 1

Guest Karl Rand

A friend runs a Yamaha A -S500 amp into JBL Studio 590's. I'm very impressed, especially when I had to admit he'd achieved such a wonderfull result for such a relatively small outlay ( well small compared to high end silly money gear ) There is a mindless prejudice against JBL speakers in audiophile circles. They're often described as rock and roll speakers. That may have been the case in the past and I confess to thinking that way until I heard the 590's. Additionally they're efficiency could save you a lot of money and let you play around with lower powered valve amps. My mate however tried his 590's with a borrowed Cary 300b amp and found the bass went 'all fat and sloppy' - - his words. 

The really galling thing about this is my friend knows nothing about audio. He bought a single issue of Australian Hi-Fi News then went out and put his hard earned down on two products that received good reviews in that issue. 

Edited by Karl Rand

Up until 1994, I sold more JBL Speakers than anyone else in the country. In 1995, with the release of the "Radiance" range I stopped. At the time, I wondered whether if in the early seventies, Gianni Martini AKA James  Bullough Lansing had had a psychic view of the products that would bear his name in future years, when he picked up his gun and blew his brains out . How many more people have to die before Polypropylene Bass Drivers are banned forever?

Edited by Number 9

Up until 1994, I sold more JBL Speakers than anyone else in the country. In 1995, with the release of the "Radiance" range I stopped. At the time, I wondered whether if in the early seventies, Gianni Martini AKA James  Bullough Lansing had had a psychic view of the products that would bear his name in future years, when he picked up his gun and blew his brains out . How many more people have to die before Polypropylene Bass Drivers are banned forever?

I agree about the radiance series but fact check: James Lansing was was Giacomo Martini. He committed suicide by hanging himself in 1949.

Bill

I agree about the radiance series but fact check: James Lansing was was Giacomo Martini. He committed suicide by hanging himself in 1949.

Bill

Thanks Bill, now that I think about it the Radiance thing happened when Penny Lane was still in Toorak Village so I'm roughly a decade out on that as well! Every now and again something happens that makes me think that all those rumours about my being "Senile", "Past it" and "an old D*ckhead", may not be entirely without foundation.

Steve?

Edited by Number 9
  • Like 1

Guest yamaha_man

I think the reason JBL high end get little interest is just brand, they make $100 iPod docks, people spending big bucks want exclusivity

I don't think so, I went from Wilson Audio to Pioneer (TAD) and pioneer sell a lot at jb Hifi and the likes. Pioneers also makes a lot of ****, didn't influence my decision at all and I'm more than happy with the upgrade.

Edited by yamaha_man

I don't think so, I went from Wilson Audio to Pioneer (TAD) and pioneer sell a lot at jb Hifi and the likes. Pioneers also makes a lot of ****, didn't influence my decision at all and I'm more than happy with the upgrade.

True, but then I was talking about the average audio fool and you Sir are neither average nor a fool !

• Like 1

There are definite brand connotations, some can see past those, others can't. Can name you countless brands, some of which I own/ed gear from that people turn their noses up on because they come from companies that also make affordable gear. They can't see that these brands while can make affordable gear can also make top flight stuff... Oh well their loss !

I've heard the same of top end brands more humble base models some will malign those to say they are pretty stripped out and your paying for the brand. I got that with a 2nd off the bottom range nakamichi tape deck where someone told me I was better off spending my money on something else as it was no dragon gees never mind how awesome it was as tape deck hehe. !

It's hard putting peoples perceptions/bias and subconscious aside and take on face value... some can some cant ... Oh well :)

Henry, you can't always judge simply by the basket. Often the exact same basket will be used by different brands of driver. Other times you will find a very similar and almost identical basket is made by different manufacturers. You may be looking at a stock driver, or it may be an OEM version or possibly even a custom modified OEM.

I have very little listening experience with JBL, but two things in particular I appreciate about the brand:

1. They actually use realistic sensitivity ratings in a market that so often likes to publish fairytale sensitivity specs.

With JBL you might see a big 15" speaker with a rating of say 94 dB and 35 Hz bass extension, where others claim nonsense figures.

2. Innovative engineering and R&D.

• Like 4

+1 on Pauls comments,

I am interested in actually listening to some of the JBL new stuff.  I can’t see why if it sounded good at the show (in some members opinions) then it would not be worth an audition.  Put your perceptions aside - worst that can happen is that you don’t like them.

I like the new ones a lot, they sound good. The again I like 1970s Sony amps, and there's a brand that turns people right off!

not me, always been a fan of their ES disc players and theyve  made some very nice gear over the years. but yeah sure people are allowed to have their individual tastes and preferences right :D

• Like 1

TAD is hardly perceived in the same way "Pioneer" is. More like Lexus and Toyota. 

I ran a full active set up comprising drivers from JBL 4355 monitors throughout most of the nineties..

Whist not really relevant in this post, the SQ was as dynamic and profound as you will ever find!!

I should therefore imagine today's stuff will have some of that DNA

I want a big pair of JBL's again...badly

Tase.