JBL Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi Joamonte, my amps are not here yet....Still ampless for few weeks. Well, the pieces should fall into place soon.... btw dont know how to post pics as dont post much. it's quite true that some jbl owners dont frequent forums much...maybe just read & nothing much to post...i do know a few who fits that. Will try to post once my jigsaw puzzle is done.

Btw something interesting to read http://www.jblproservice.com/general_faq.htm

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I was wondering why the JBL s3900's and s4700's appear to get no love in Australia. They were at the hifi show in melb late last year and I rather liked their tone and bass presence.

The alternative I'm considering are ATC's. Listened to a pair last weekend and loved their midrange.

What are your thoughts?

Mark

I too enjoyed S4700 s at the show.

They are stocked by West Coast Hifi in Cannington here in the west & I did organise to hear them just before Christmas but fell sick & didn't get there. I guess their rather imposing bulk & perceived old technology horns for treble & mid will put some off. Funnily enough the only other speaker I'm dying to hear Janzens 2.1 are mentioned in another post today. Is it a sign? ;)

Perhaps it's not politicly correct but I am reminded of the old expression: Junk But Loud

ha ha, I am reminded of the old expression, “The only thing more frustrating than slanderers is those foolish enough to listen to them.† 

• Like 2

Hi,

I was wondering why the JBL s3900's and s4700's appear to get no love in Australia. They were at the hifi show in melb late last year and I rather liked their tone and bass presence.

The alternative I'm considering are ATC's. Listened to a pair last weekend and loved their midrange.

What are your thoughts?

Mark

I heard the s4700s at the AV show last year. I never got around to writing up my thoughts in the show reports thread. So now I have. Just for you.  :popcorn:

• Like 1

What are your thoughts?

Haven't heard these new models... but "well engineered speakers priced accordingly" seems like a fair comment from what is published.  

(Edit:  Except from the guy down in Apartment 5F, heh ... I would also hope from that description that something was 'wrong'   :eeek:)

Edited by davewantsmoore

i have not heard the recent JBLs, but i think recently they got favorable reviews.

+1.  Generally high efficiency; Generally good reviews.  Generally sensible design (eg. notor designs)   Just tainted with the "but isn't that stuff PA grade?"  prejudice.  

And they tend to look Pro - low WAF, lower bling

Thanks all, I'm going to see if pure music can hookup a demo. Can validate my memory against recent listening to other vendors, the #1 being the new atc smc40's. If an ATC with a larger woofer was in my price range (atc EL150 is on the dream list) I'd be really keen as I love the 'large woofer' sound of the bigger kit.

By getting another jbl synthesis demo I'll see if I missed newman's top end observations or if something had gone awry at that time at the hifi show. Part of the fun :)