Sign in to follow this  
calis

JBL Discussion & Owner's Thread

Hi,

I was wondering why the JBL s3900's and s4700's appear to get no love in Australia. They were at the hifi show in melb late last year and I rather liked their tone and bass presence.

The alternative I'm considering are ATC's. Listened to a pair last weekend and loved their midrange.

What are your thoughts?

Mark

i have not heard the recent JBLs, but i think recently they got favorable reviews.

interestingly those models that you mention, the woofers is made by SB Acoustics :).

I too enjoyed S4700 s at the show.

They are stocked by West Coast Hifi in Cannington here in the west & I did organise to hear them just before Christmas but fell sick & didn't get there. I guess their rather imposing bulk & perceived old technology horns for treble & mid will put some off. Funnily enough the only other speaker I'm dying to hear Janzens 2.1 are mentioned in another post today. Is it a sign? ;)

I really liked the JBLs at last years Melb hi-fi show.  Actually preferred it over many of the megabuck speaker setups.

Perhaps it's not politicly correct but I am reminded of the old expression: Junk But Loud

Perhaps it's not politicly correct but I am reminded of the old expression: Junk But Loud

ha ha, I am reminded of the old expression, “The only thing more frustrating than slanderers is those foolish enough to listen to them.† 

not Just Beautiful Loudspeakers?... ;)

Hi,

I was wondering why the JBL s3900's and s4700's appear to get no love in Australia. They were at the hifi show in melb late last year and I rather liked their tone and bass presence.

The alternative I'm considering are ATC's. Listened to a pair last weekend and loved their midrange.

What are your thoughts?

Mark

I heard the s4700s at the AV show last year. I never got around to writing up my thoughts in the show reports thread. So now I have. Just for you.  :popcorn:

What are your thoughts?

Haven't heard these new models... but "well engineered speakers priced accordingly" seems like a fair comment from what is published.  

(Edit:  Except from the guy down in Apartment 5F, heh ... I would also hope from that description that something was 'wrong'   :eeek:)

Edited by davewantsmoore

just like some other brands eg klipsch, jbl just isnt everyones cup of tea...though if you like what you heard and is what you want go for it, not really a matter for others to decide :)

i have not heard the recent JBLs, but i think recently they got favorable reviews.

+1.  Generally high efficiency; Generally good reviews.  Generally sensible design (eg. notor designs)   Just tainted with the "but isn't that stuff PA grade?"  prejudice.  

And they tend to look Pro - low WAF, lower bling

Thanks all, I'm going to see if pure music can hookup a demo. Can validate my memory against recent listening to other vendors, the #1 being the new atc smc40's. If an ATC with a larger woofer was in my price range (atc EL150 is on the dream list) I'd be really keen as I love the 'large woofer' sound of the bigger kit.

By getting another jbl synthesis demo I'll see if I missed newman's top end observations or if something had gone awry at that time at the hifi show. Part of the fun :)

That's odd. Jbl have Conway as their sole disti and in turn they had pure music as their sole jbl reseller. But there are the jbl synthesis speakers and they're showing real pricing (ie discounted from rrp). I'll ask them about the s3900. Thanks!

atc EL150

The ATC will have a markedly different coverage pattern than the JBL (with the JBLs 'horns').

This means that even if they are EQed to the same in room  (direct) response, they will still sound different  (due to the differing responses coming from the room)

The common wisdom of audio reproduction in small rooms, would strongly favour the JBL approach here.

I'm moving back to JBL not quite S470 s though ( I wish )

Looking at LS 80 or even Studio 590

Agree not best looking for money but the sound to my ears is very good

And not at like the "reputation"

I think the reason JBL high end get little interest is just brand, they make $100 iPod docks, people spending big bucks want exclusivity

Same as Yamaha Amps v something like NAIM

Tristan at Trimera in Brissy has a demo set of S4700's, they are amazing speaker IMO. My Focals only beat them because of the clearer tweeter but would still love a pair, if the tweeter gets too harsh sounding for me, I may still get some. They are fantastic.

http://www.ehifi.com.au/brands/jbl-home/project-series/s4700.aspx

Edited by Darren69

West Coast Hi Fi Cannington were selling these for $9500 before Christmas when I enquired. I haven't contacted them since so can't guarantee this is still valid.

I think the reason JBL high end get little interest is just brand

In asia JBL have enormous brand cache. In fact I think the Synthesis series was only introduced to meet demand from brand fanatics, i.e. it was pull not push.

I think your notion of 'little interest' is a peculiar western snobbery thing. Again, I blame a specific set of journalists for dragging a whole generation of audiophiles into dark alleys.

I heard the s4700s with Accuphase at the hifi show and have to agree they sounded good to me and like Tuyen thought they sounded better than a lot of the mega expensive hifi blandness that was there. 

Very different to ATC though, hard to compare really both good in their own way;