Resolving power cables do they really make a difference

The 6x4 would be worth rolling , as would the power cord.

Are you actually advocating changing a power cord to rectify "The problem, some grain and harshness, most noticeable on some female vocals."???:D

I just want to make sure before I burst out laughing

Cheers TT

Are you actually advocating changing a power cord to rectify "The problem, some grain and harshness, most noticeable on some female vocals."???:D

Cheers TT

Yep an your seat can be booked to , beside the electronic engineers that do sales in the millions worldwide , that wonder why to, I cant explain why it is

but we all heard it . So dont explode just yet . a logical explanation may be available an I would like too read it too.

Yep an your seat can be booked to , beside the electronic engineers that do sales in the millions worldwide , that wonder why to, I cant explain why it is

but we all heard it . So dont explode just yet . a logical explanation may be available an I would like too read it too.

Could I please understand this correctly? You are saying that "a 1.5m power cord will change harshness in female vocals on a SACD?" Not the 100s of Km of power line from the power station to the meter box, or the 20m-30m from the power grid to the meter box, or the 5m-20m from the meter box to the power point but just the last 1.5m in the chain? Is this what you are claiming you have heard?

Cheers TT

TT, shut up now or you will get suspended. You have been warned before - keep it civil. People on SNA believe in all sorts of things, there is no need to ridicule others in this manner.

Could I please understand this correctly? You are saying that "a 1.5m power cord will change harshness in female vocals on a SACD?" Not the 100s of Km of power line from the power station to the meter box, or the 20m-30m from the power grid to the meter box, or the 5m-20m from the meter box to the power point but just the last 1.5m in the chain? Is this what you are claiming you have heard?

Cheers TT

I know it is hard to comprehend . as did the engineers on the day . It needs to be heard/witnessed . to know its so . Why I dont know . Next time you are in town , You are welcome to listen an if you can explain it , we will listen

If I may play the Devil's advocate here?

I know it is hard to comprehend .

Sure is.:D

as did the engineers on the day .

Please list said engineers and state their qualifications? Also list the testing criteria that the comparisons were carried out under?

It needs to be heard/witnessed .to know its so .

Or at least verified by reliable sources.

Why I dont know . Next time you are in town , You are welcome to listen an if you can explain it , we will listen

Please don't take any of this personally as I am generally very sceptical about these types of claims. :)

Cheers TT

Its easy why power cables sound they have better sheilding of the solid core in the walls .

If you and others sheild and keep power cables away from IC & speaker cables things will improve BUT DON'T RUN SHEILD TO SOARCE run it back to the wall socket.

cheers

Its easy why power cables sound they have better sheilding of the solid core in the walls .

If you and others sheild and keep power cables away from IC & speaker cables things will improve BUT DON'T RUN SHEILD TO SOARCE run it back to the wall socket.

cheers

I am a great believer in shielding. But what makes you think the last 1.5m is any different or more susceptible to EMI than the previous hundreds of kilometers of power line from the power station?

The only circumstance I can see that this would be valid if there was extraordinary high levels of EMI or EMF in the room and in which case everything else connected would make the power cable a moot point :D

Cheers TT

• Like 1

If I may play the Devil's advocate here?

Sure is.:D

Please list said engineers and state their qualifications? Also list the testing criteria that the comparisons were carried out under?

Or at least verified by reliable sources.

Please don't take any of this personally as I am generally very sceptical about these types of claims. :)

Cheers TT

I do comprehend your view TT . My view was much the same till I heard the difference . No I will not name those that deal in world wide transactions , As my relationship with them is on a SNA level , not an international level, but I will extend an invitation to you to listen with us at a GTG to hear for yourself what was heard by us .One of the greatest benefits of SNA is that we are open to inviting members into our houses with open arms to share in what it is that we enjoy from our music.

The why 's are hard to explain , The smiles are easy to see

I am a great believer in shielding. But what makes you think the last 1.5m is any different or more susceptible to EMI than the previous hundreds of kilometers of power line from the power station?

The only circumstance I can see that this would be valid if there was extraordinary high levels of EMI or EMF in the room and in which case everything else connected would make the power cable a moot point :D

Cheers TT

Hello TT .

First Question have you tried a sheilded power cable on your CDP , DAC or pre.

Other way to look at it the power cable is sheild and the case's on your equipment acts as a sheild .

I tried it and it worked .

Cheers.

I do comprehend your view TT . My view was much the same till I heard the difference . No I will not name those that deal in world wide transactions , As my relationship with them is on a SNA level , not an international level, but I will extend an invitation to you to listen with us at a GTG to hear for yourself what was heard by us .One of the greatest benefits of SNA is that we are open to inviting members into our houses with open arms to share in what it is that we enjoy from our music.

The why 's are hard to explain , The smiles are easy to see

Thank you for your kind offer Moondog as I am always open to learning about something else

Is there much action in WA? I do not get interstate as much as I used to :D

Cheers TT

hey, TT!

ever measured the EMI/RFI in your house?

turn off your appliances, and it's magically reduced the noise. That's what a good mains cable will help. Even your next-door neighbours' air con will disturb your audio. get filters, and get good mains cables and things get suddenly nicer, especially in the female vocal range. I have an inexpensive system, but it has enough resolution to hear the differences with good vs. average cables.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should spend $$$$$ on cables, but carefully identifying the source of interference and reducing it will yield audible results. maybe you should try it sometime.

p.s. I have qualifications in Electronics, Measurement, I.T. and Acoustics.

hey, TT!

ever measured the EMI/RFI in your house? .

No I haven't. Besides, distance is very effective isolation.

turn off your appliances, and it's magically reduced the noise. That's what a good mains cable will help. Even your next-door neighbours' air con will disturb your audio. get filters, and get good mains cables and things get suddenly nicer, especially in the female vocal range. I have an inexpensive system, but it has enough resolution to hear the differences with good vs. average cables.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should spend $$$$$ on cables, but carefully identifying the source of interference and reducing it will yield audible results. maybe you should try it sometime.

p.s. I have qualifications in Electronics, Measurement, I.T. and Acoustics.

Yes I do accept *IF* you have a problem with "dirty mains" power then you may need a power conditioner. But I still refuse to believe that a 1.5m power cable from a wall socket to a component will have any effect in eradicating already dirty power and have it affect female vocals.

Yes I am a cynic :D

Cheers TT

Looks like we need to start a new thread and get back to the original post .

Cheers.

Some of the most enjoyable discussions I have had is when we have wandered far off topic:o

Where's a mod to move the posts?

Cheers TT

Have you tried a power cable

Cheers.

Yes I have. I find that most of my gear works better when they are conected :)

Go on, have a laugh? :D

To answer the intent of your question seriously, No, I have not tried esoteric power cables and still remain very sceptical about their worth.

Cheers TT

Dont know about power cords but one of the best upgrades Ive ever done was to run a dedicated power circuit to my system.

Outstanding change.

When I built my current house I also did this. I have all my HT room on a separate circuit from the meter box and it is on a different phase from the air cons. Just a precaution and sound engineering :D

Cheers TT

Dont know about power cords but one of the best upgrades Ive ever done was to run a dedicated power circuit to my system.

Outstanding change.

Me too! Just recently, money very well spent. I and my wife have also heard power cords make a difference. But not with every component.

Wow, what an interesting thread.

I'd be very interested to see the scientific evidence that backs half the claims made here. Hey, it's not that I disbelieve you, it's just difficult to accept when the evidence is subjective rather than objective.

An eastern states audio retailer sent me some interconnects to audition over an extended time (months in fact). After carefully following the instructions and leaving them in my system connected but unused for the prescribed 3 days (conveniently coinciding with a trip out of town that week) I returned to hear if there was any difference. Sadly I can say they made no difference whatsoever. Zero, zilch, no change.

The system didn't suddenly come "alive". The vocals didn't suddenly become so transparent that Amanda McBroom or Jacintha were anymore in my living room than they had already been prior to the changeover to the new cables.

Now either my hearing is shot to pieces (quite possibly) or maybe it's my equipment that isn't up to the task. ME850 Hi-cap power amp, a Stereophile class B analogue pre-amp and a $4,000 SACD / CD player through a pair of Equinox Jupiter speakers.

Anyone here want to diagnose what's wrong with my equipment?

Cheers,

Alan

Anyone here want to diagnose what's wrong with my equipment?

Cheers,

Alan

Alan I am sure you are familiar with the technique I am about to describe and I have only re-posted it here so others may gain some insight from it :D

First, remove all interconnects, power cords and speaker cables.

Liberally coat with a name brand of Reptilian Lubricant.

Re-install, aligning all cables with the local magnetic flux lines.

Either purchase the special radiation excluder or make your own cone shaped tinfoil head piece so as to eliminate all eternal radiation to the cranial cavity. Occasionally a large red "D" affixed to the forward facing area may be beneficial.

Then have a friend or neighbour take a photo of yourself wearing the specially constructed radiation excluder and post to the group here.

Will any of this help? I doubt it but we all want to see the photos:D

Cheers TT