VAF's new DC-X63 in Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide

VAF

What started as an invitation by the Sydney Audio Club has turned into a roadshow launch of our new VAF DC-X63 (see further bellow).

I took the time myself to personally present, and I want to share my perspective that the Sydney Audio Club function last Sunday and was simply great. I am genuinely impressed with this club, and encourage anybody in Sydney interested in audio or music to join. The president (Tom) is a class act, and the committee are hands on genuine people. The culture in the club seemed spot-on. A lovely mix of presentations, gear, followed by real sharing and discovery of music by members. I'm bying a bunch of music that I didn't know existed, and some that I did know existed but didn't realise how great it was. Totally hassle free and very civilised/respectful. Regarding our VAF DC-X63 speakers, which were the focus of the event and presentation, members were proactive with feedback on our new speakers which was very welcome and appreciated. Thanks! - - and I'm pleased that so many of you understood what we are trying to achieved, and liked that as well as the speakers. Audio clubs like this one are the heart of this tiny Audio industry we all love, and anyone in Sydney who isn't already a member should become a member. It was good also to see the club supporting StereoNET with flyers for members to take.

Along the way, VAF received a call from the Melbourne Audio Club asking if VAF were interested and able to present to their members Wednesday Feb 19th (next Wednesday) as they had a presenter cancel. We happily agreed, and look forward to meeting all the folks down there too, and reconnecting with some we already know. I hope others can attend too.

We are tailing this off with a launch in Adelaide for our home town crowd on Wednesday 5th March. 

Thanks again to all involved and looking forward to meeting a few of you face to face.

On we go.

Philip Vafiadis

Please note some teaser DC-X63 notes along with the Melbourne & Adelaide dates listed in the newsletter bellow.

VAF news, and the launch of our new DC-X loudspeaker, the DC-X63. A huge step forward.

DC_X63_Newsleter_Image.jpg Happy New Year from the VAF Research team! We've got plenty of exciting news to share with you:

• The launch of the eagerly awaited VAF DC-X63.
  • DC-X63 Road Trip - hear them for yourself.
  • Complete Systems - truly immersive Home Theatre can be smaller (and more affordable) than you think.
  • New Products from Oppo, Luxman and NAD
  • Recommend a friend and win $1,000 VAF voucher.

Is the most technically sophisticated new loudspeaker under $3,000pr now Australian made?

With 6 drivers precisely time aligned on 5 individually stepped baffles in a cabinet so intricate its manufacture requires robotic precision, the new VAF DC-X63 might be just that. 

With over 10,000 owners since it was originally released in 1995, our DC-X loudspeaker has developed a cult like following. This new DC-X63 builds on that incredible legacy. Beyond an evolutionary step, the new DC-X63 is a quantum leap in design and actually mimics the way sounds are produced in real life.

Whether for music or movies we wanted the sound to be as true to life as possible. That’s very hard to do. It’s made even harder because the DC-X has always been excellent value. Making it affordable simply isn’t possible while using traditional manufacturing techniques to deliver the technical sophistication we aspire to. We had to rethink everything and create something totally anew. Born from this was the DC-X63.

In the process we solved aesthetic as well as technical problems. A computer controls the machining of the profoundly complex enclosure. This houses and perfectly time aligns the 6 drivers delivering the most realistic 3D presentation of sounds of any DC-X model before it. The enclosure minimises stored energy in all its forms, so the amazingly realistic sound stage is also very pure. An Acoustic Skin elegantly covers all this complexity. This design allows each owner to personalise the look of their speakers to compliment their room, whatever their version of beautiful might be. This way every owner gets this amazing VAF sound with a look that they can choose for themselves.

With a 10 year guarantee and 30 day safe’n’sound Web guarantee, the DC-X63 is better value than ever before from $2,999.

We have a very limited initial production run and have already taken pre-orders from around the world. Get in quick to be the first to own a speaker that will continue a legacy and go down in history.

Free Call 1800 818 882 
Email vaf@vaf.com.au
www.vaf.com.au
  Options & Pricing

With the DC-X63 you have the option to personalise every aesthetic detail. Between the Acoustic Skin and the cap & base there are endless possibilities. Add a little more sophistication with the addition of solid timbre caps in Tasmanian Blackwood or Jarrah, or personalise your speakers to fit perfectly in your home by printing your design on the Acoustic Skin and adding a colour matched cap and base.

DC_X63_pricing_options_v444e33f.jpg   new_pantone1f6890beb643.jpg

Launch Offer - Free Personalisation
Save $500

At VAF, we dedicate ourselves to achieving the highest quality of sound reproduction - but you choose the music.

Now you can also choose the look. The Acoustic Skin of the DC-X63 is a blank canvas that can be printed with any design you choose.

For our initial production run we are offering free personalisation. That's a saving of $500. We'll take a photo for our website to show just what can be achieved. This offer is limited to just 10 pairs.

All we need is a good quality picture or something to colour match.

To take advantage of this great offer email vaf@vaf.com.au or free call 1800 818 882

Here are some images we've already received and ideas we've had

torbakov_Dejan_788998_DC_X63_image6fdc3ftardis_cropped.jpg   DC_X63_BLACK_Timber_Caps_Front_Side_CONT

TOUR DATES

Experience the DC-X63 "in the Skin"

The DC-X63 will be on a limited tour around Australia so that you have the chance to listen for yourself.

See below for tour dates.

If you have an audio or special interests club and would like a chance to audition them with your group, please let us know.

Sydney

Sydney Audio Club
Sunday 9th February
2 pm til 5 pm (Doors open at 1 pm)

Creative Centre Dence Park
26 Stanley Rd Epping
http://www.sydneyaudioclub.org.au/

Melbourne

Melbourne Audio Club
Wednesday 19th February
8 pm til late
Willis Room,
City of Whitehorse Offices,
Maroondah Highway,
Nunawading
http://www.melbourneaudioclub.org.au/

Adelaide

Vaf Research

Wednesday 5th March
5 pm til 7 pm
52 North Terrace, Kent Town

Drinks and Nibbles will be provided, so please RSVP here

VAF's founder, Philip Vafiadis will be personally presenting at all functions. Guests are very welcome at both the Sydney and Melbourne clubs and they are especially keen to have any VAF fans in the area attend - previous generation DC-X owners in particular.

Home Theatre - Immerse Yourself

The right system for a luxury yacht could be the right Home Theatre system for your home.

A couple of weeks ago we were installing a VAF system on a luxury yacht, where space is at an absolute premium. This allowed us to trial one of the new Slimline AV receivers on the market. We were very impressed. It is the amp we've been waiting for to properly compliment our tiny Signature i49s.

Few of us have the opportunity for a dedicated Home Theatre room, but we still deserve the immersive cinema experience, to be able to relax at home with family and friends.  

Achieving this experience at home need not rob you of space and is far more affordable than you think. You need make no compromise, so there's no excuses left.

Get a VAF Signature i49 5.1 home cinema package, complete with a Marantz N1504 slimline amplifier and the brilliant Oppo 103AU Blu-Ray player for just $4,199 - Save $1,348!

The word of mouth of VAF enthusiasts sharing the joy of great sound with their friends and family has helped this Australian icon over many decades. If you know someone who would enjoy a system like this, please let them know. You could go into our February prize draw - see details further bellow.

Marantz_NR1604_610x184.jpg

Marantz NR1504 AV Receiver

There is a lot to cram into a Home Theatre receive. For a long time this meant they were big - usually 160mm high. Finally Marantz have introduced a model that delivers great sound in a package not much larger than a standard Blu-Ray player. The NR1504 is a 5.1 channel amp with networking, Airplay, Spotify and mobile phone control apps. The NR1604 jumps up to a 2 zone, 7.1 channel and includes 4k up-scaling.

i49_Contoured097ce2.jpgThe VAF Signature i49 has to be heard to be believed. The clarity, range and detail should be impossible from a speaker so small. The secret lies in the proprietary coaxial, dual concentric driver that squeezes a 1" silk dome tweeter inside the 4" long throw woofer. This allows us to make a tiny speaker without compromising frequency range and delivers the ultimate time-alignment, as all frequencies originate from an identical point and time in space (just as sound does when created in nature).

There are many micro speakers on the market, but we haven't found any that match the clarity and range of the Signature i49. It can be used without a subwoofer in intimate settings, or with a subwoofer delivering rich detail in low frequencies. Because the Signature i49 can reproduce deeper sounds than almost all other micro loudspeakers it can be crossed over with the subwoofer at lower frequencies. If a sub is required to reproduce higher frequencies it will reveal its location, rather than integrating seamlessly with the speakers and filling the room. Many similar systems crossover anywhere up to 300Hz (about the starting frequency for human voice). 

The Signature i49 is the perfect example of a speaker that is "heard, but not seen", fitting in with every lifestyle.   New Product Releases

At VAF, we make speakers and we want them to sound the best that they can for every owner. We invest a lot of our time listening to amplifiers, turntables, DACs, streaming devices, disc players and all sorts of equipment and cables. We do this so we can hand-on-heart recommend the best sounding equipment at each price point to accompany our speakers. 

Here are some new items that have caught our attention and that we think punch above their weight for performance and value.

Oppo_105.png

Oppo Release BDP105D

VAF Research was one of the very first to recognise Oppo as being something special. They have gone from strength to strength and in February will release a new flagship, the Oppo 105D. This model has been upgraded with the new Darby video processing unit first seen in the 103D.

Not only is the Oppo one of the best Blu-Ray players on the market (at any price), it's also an exceptional CD/SACD player.

RRP $1699 - contact us if you'd like to know more.

NAD_D3020.jpg

NAD D3020 DAC/Amp with Bluetooth

This is an important new audio product that will entice a new generation of audio enthusiasts and change the way the current generation think. If you are looking for convenience of modern features, good performance and low price, well, nothing comes close. 

NAD have been setting the benchmark as a great entry into Hi-Fi for many years. NAD have really re-established that with the new D3020. A full compliment of digital inputs including Bluetooth connectivity, inbuilt DAC, Subwoofer output, 30 watts per channel...the list goes on.

It's the perfect way to bring music to another room, especially if you yearn for more than a simple iPod dock.

RRP $699 - or talk to us about speaker packages 

VAF says THANK YOU

With a chance to win a $1,000 voucher

Word of mouth is vitally important to us. We want to thank all those dedicated VAF fans who recommend systems to friends & family. Recommend a friend who makes a purchase in February and go in the draw to win a $1,000 voucher towards any new VAF loudspeakers or subwoofers.

Winner will be advised by phone. Voucher valid on any new purchase of VAF loudspeakers or subwoofers placed by 31st May. Cannot be used against existing orders or in conjunction with other offers.

A quick introduction:

Patrick Canny - the newest addition of the VAF team.

"What a ride. Since starting at VAF I've learned to see speakers in a whole new light. The depth of scientific knowledge on each and every component is profound. There is a purpose to everything - every angle, every screw, every millilitre. While developing the DC-X63 the team here have explained the logic and science behind every piece and every decision.

I have seen inside Pandora's box. It is made from mere physical matter. Wires, magnets, Kevlar, capacitors - hand wound inductors the size of my fist. There is no magic, there is no fairy dust. Yet none of this helps me explain what I'm hearing. It doesn't seem possible. The DC-X63 just disappears, replaced by a drum kit, a guitar, an orchestra.

How can such a simple, clean façade contain such majesty and wonder, so much more than the sum of its parts?

I look forward to meeting more of you, so if you're in the area, please drop in or feel free to pick up the phone."

Copyright © 2014 VAF Research Pty Ltd, All rights reserved. 
We send news and special offers to our customers and to people who registered at www.vaf.com.au 

Our mailing address is: 

VAF Research Pty Ltd
52 North Terrace
Kent TownSouth Australia 5067
Australia

Edited by VAF
  • Like 2

• Administrator

Some of the links in your post are broken.

On a side note, StereoNET has extended an invitation to VAF to present products previously. The offer still stands.

I am sure (In fact I know, the audio clubs are great) - and we offer ALL Australian audio clubs a free dedicated forum here on SNA, but we also have here the very largest enthusiast community that currently exists in Australia. :)

On behalf of the Sydney Audio Club, I would very much like to thank Philip for taking the time to come to Sydney and personally present to the club.  Philip’s presentation had just the right mix of VAF history, the background of the DC-X63 design and of course, his music.  Philip and I had about an hour before the meeting to re-acquaint and talk in a quiet environment.  My previous talks with Philip were mostly somewhat brief and at HiFi shows.  When we talked in more depth I then realized the depth of knowledge, passion and entrepreneurial spirit that Philip possesses.   He is the real deal – transparent, honest, knowledgeable, passionate, polite and caring.   His dedication to clubs such as the Sydney Audio Club is to be commended.  We certainly thank him for all he has done for the club and the audio industry in general. 

For anyone not familiar with our club, please refer to www.sydneyaudioclub.org.au to learn what we are all about.

Tom Waters

President

Sydney Audio Club

www.sydneyaudioclub.org.au

tomwaters@sydneyaudioclub.org.au

• Like 1

Hi Philip,

Thanks for taking the time to come to Melbourne and personally present the DC-X63's. Hearing about the design choices VAF have made was fascinating, and I learned more about speaker design than I have for a long time. :)

It was also great to meet you after following the VAF story from the Electronics Australia DC-X Gen 1's. Hopefully I can get to Adelaide one day and hear some more of your designs!

Swanny.

Edited by swannd
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a whole 15 minutes to spare today between work, driving to the big smoke and being on a squash court for comp.

So utilising my awesome time management skills and spatial/geographic cognitive abilities, I added a stop in at Vaf to satisfy my curiosity about the new DCX 63.

Simon, good chap that he is carried the left one in - revealing it's not a heavy floorstander, good for movers & tinkerers. A kind Patrick slotted in my John Butler Trio, Sunrise over Sea cd and skipped to track 10. Zebra - as requested.

Oo, those speakers do boogey nicely. The Vincent amp provided, I presume a touch of warmth, the sound was very approachable, I immediately started tapping, despite being post work-peak hour drive frazzled.

Oh dear, will these dcx63's detract from sales of the i33 and i66 , who knows, but if sound is to go by, it's plausible. They do sound rather good.

I like the way they look too, all complicated and technical, drivers galore "time aligned" a bit back, a bit forward in placement, looks cool, as does the side bit hollows (baffles?), not "just a box" with drivers, if I may describe it that way.

Surprising base, platform sub confirmed as not operating. Excellent clarity, engaging vocals.

Give em a try.

Thx Patrick & Simon.

• 1 year later...

The web site looks like an abandoned warehouse and the launch of the DC-x63 appears to have been a giant flop with no reviews, no promotion and nobody actually taking delivery.  They occasionally mention a foreign product they're selling on Facebook but it's all pretty sad.  Dead company walking I suspect.

.  Dead company walking I suspect.

Strong words Redmist!

As far as I know Vaf are as strong as ever. Best of all if you want to know about the DC-x63 make a FREE call and chances are the person who answers the phone will be the owner or the designer of the speakers.What more do you want??

VAF Research Pty Ltd Open for Business

52-54 North Terrace Kent Town SA Australia 5067

Phone: +61 8 8363 9996 Fax: +61 8 8363 9997

Freecall: 1800 818 882

P.S I am in no way connected with Vaf Research or receive payment for my views!

• Like 3

Browsing a web site that has up to date information or talking to a salesman?  I know which most people under 60 would prefer.  Perception is reality when it comes to a company's image and I wouldn't be comfortable doing business with a company whose web site looks like a ghost town in 2015.

Edited by Redmist

The web site looks like an abandoned warehouse and the launch of the DC-x63 appears to have been a giant flop with no reviews, no promotion and nobody actually taking delivery.  They occasionally mention a foreign product they're selling on Facebook but it's all pretty sad.  Dead company walking I suspect.

You suspect wrong, very wrong indeed.

If you have any interest at all in their products then I would suggest contacting them before jumping to conclusions.

• Like 2

I think it is true to say that VAF are doing very well despite their website. I recently had a good listen to the new DC-X63 and I can tell you they sound fantastic. They are also selling very well indeed.

However, your point remains and it is a valid one, in 2015 having a tumbleweed website is really not good enough.

A new website has been promised for 12 months or more but maybe they are too busy building and selling great speakers. They certainly are not giving up or walking away.

That's my point.  In 2015, if I need to "contact" a company to find out what products they have then they've already failed.

Well, they certainly haven't failed if they are selling their products, but yes, their website does need updating.