Audeze Owners & Discussion Thread

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Somehow, I stumped up the funds to buy a pair. Personally, and of course this is subjective, the best phones I've heard or owned now to buy a suitable amp before the end of the year.. Somehow I reckon it'll have valves in it ...

Ha! Somehow, I stumped up the funds to buy a pair. Personally, and of course this is subjective, the best phones I've heard or owned now to buy a suitable amp before the end of the year.. Somehow I reckon it'll have valves in it ...

The X seem very easy to drive you shouldn't have much trouble finding a decent amp :)

In Jan 2014 whilst in Melbourne, I visited Addicted To Audio looking for a closed headphone for private listening at home.

I took some notes to share with some friends in Perth who don't have the ability to audition such a large range of headphones.

I spent a couple of hours in this fine establishment, and wrote some 3 pages about various headphones, using lots of waffly subjective commentary like "air", dynamics" "warmth" , "bullet proof bass" "midrange that brought me close to tears"

Then it comes down to Audeze, and this is what I wrote:

LCD3- buy!

LCDx- higher sensitivity version of LCD3 (can be driven from portable). As above.

LOL.

Look, they are both stellar headphones. Top tier, that's for sure.

Probably the only better headphones are the Stax SR009.

The only criticism I can summon is the sheer weight. Despite being comfortable on the ears themselves, you can feel over half a kilo on your head. That's almost twice the weight of headphones that I already consider large.

When Audeze build a headphone around <300g, I am in.

2 grand is nothing for a passive device that will likely last a couple of decades.

When I last looked at headphones, I chose the best available, and for me that was the HD600 (Orpheus NLA). It is still in fine condition after more than 10 years of service. Although lacking the bottom octave, they are still a reference unit, A new set of pads and they will sound like new.

The price is long forgotten after the quality remains.

On the other hand, your computer or smartphone, is obsolete soon after you buy it, but no one seem to complain about spending a grand on such an item every few years.

There's some really good points there. Some people freak out when they find out how much I paid for them, but I think to get the same level of SQ out of speakers, you have to spend considerably more I think.

I agree with you on the weight, they are HEAVY, but I'll put up with that.. That's a bonus because it means I don't sit on my backside the whole day and go do something more productive!! I use a bean bag, so I lie back and have my neck supported. That helps.

They are so detailed, with nice punchy bass, without the sludge of the LCD-2's. It seems like they've grabbed hold of the 2's, looked at the faults, (dynamics, muddying, lack of treble air) and fixed them.

There's some really good points there. Some people freak out when they find out how much I paid for them, but I think to get the same level of SQ out of speakers, you have to spend considerably more I think.

I agree with you on the weight, they are HEAVY, but I'll put up with that.. That's a bonus because it means I don't sit on my backside the whole day and go do something more productive!! I use a bean bag, so I lie back and have my neck supported. That helps.

They are so detailed, with nice punchy bass, without the sludge of the LCD-2's. It seems like they've grabbed hold of the 2's, looked at the faults, (dynamics, muddying, lack of treble air) and fixed them.

That is a fine post now :) 

OK!

Just picked up my second hand Audio GD NFB 13.2..

Yeah if you've stretched your budget on your X's like I have, and you need a low cost solution to get through till you can save the pennies, this is a bloody good idea. Of course I'm not comparing it to the Woos/Mjoinirs/Brystons/Bursons etc, but it gives a more then satisfactory sound. Nice and rich, ever so slightly warm, (reflects my love of valve amps:)) and bloody good imaging for $AUS RRP of $300, and certainly better then the swag of portables on the market at the same RRP.. if you can find one used, like I did, it can be an even better bargain!! Unless someone better then I can pick it, the filters make bugger all difference to the sound, but I paid $230 so I'm not complaining!! Depth is real good, and width is great. And me being a vinyl person, I just discovered that, because I use iTunes, I now have to re-rip all my favourite CD's to ALAC.. as this amp can certainly show the differences. Poo, but good at the same time! Bjork's Biophillia which I bought today, on ALAC sounds UNBELIEVABLE!! (Compared to AAC or the dreaded MP3!!) 

This will get me thru till I can stump up cash for a Woo again:)

The LCD-2 has been through 4 different revisions since being introduced , there have also been claims of

very different sounding headphones from the same batch.

Armed with that info I auditioned the current version LCD-2.2  at headphonic last year , listened to 3 different pairs ,

two in rosewood and one in bamboo finish.

Also compared them to the LCD-3. 

I can see why the 3 is well liked , it is certainly a smoother warmer sounding headphone , but I preferred the 2.2 overall ,with the bamboo version being the best sounding of the four phones I listened to.

Bass was noticably cleaner and tighter on them than the more expensive LCD-3 , I also have a pair of AKG K702 which I use

as a reference point for tight clean bass , the current spec LCD-2.2 is every bit as tight but goes noticably deeper.

Quite a few people on forums prefer the current spec 2.2 to the 3 ....as long as you get a good pair , there is certainly no "sludge" at all with them.

Srajan Ebean of 6 moons audio recently reviewed the LCD-XC closed backs , he also owns LCD-3 and LCD-2 .

In the comments section at the bottom of the article he states that the LCD-2 are his favourites of the three , and his are the original first revision , so all a matter of taste and personal preference I guess.

I had a LCD-2.2.

Can't remember for the life of me what the freq. response chart looked like. Just to clarify, when I say "sludge" I'm referring to a slight lack of air, a muddiness that smears the fine detail. My front end/amp was very, very good at the time.

Yes, it's a matter of personal taste and how one hears it. I think the X removes what my brain perceives to be a problem with the 2. Neither of us is "wrong". That's why it's great to have A2A in Melbourne..like Headphonic in WA. Plenty of gear to test to form our own opinion and there's no wrong opinion!!

Unfortunately Headphonic here in Perth are not going to be getting the LCD-X , once they have sold remaining stock

of 2 and 3 they are dropping the brand.

Pity as I would have liked to take my 2.2 down there for a comparo.....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, heard some amps with my LCD-X's.. I've reposted what I wrote on another site...

I just went and tested a heap of amps at A2A in Melbourne. Great service yet again.

So, some of what I have to say may contradict what some here would say, but hey, this is all subjective. I'm no audiophile expert, and I'm going to avoid some of lingo, and use more subjective language. There are some caveats, but I tried to keep things as consistent as possible. I used ALACS on iTunes, and a mixture of half decent recordings and good recordings. Apart from the amps that have an onboard DAC, a Bifrost DAC was used over USB. So go ahead folks and pick lots of holes I've given you!!! It was tested with ALO cable silver/copper, and unlike some others here, I'm stating that I like my sound on the warmer side of neutral. Thats why I like Audezes and not HD800's

List of tracks-

Fear Factory - Smasher/Devourer

Bjork - Hyperballad, Modern Things, Cosmogeny, Headphones

Dropkick Murphys - Rose Tattoo

Miles Davis - Some Kinda Blue

Smashing Pumpkins - Frail and Bedazzled, Starla

Explosions In The Sky - Birth and Death Of The Day

Underworld - Tin There, Rez/Cowgirl

Chemical Brothers - Under The Influence

Amps tested-

ALO Pan Am

Schiit Lyr

Woo WA6

Woo WA7

Burson Soloist

Schiit Mjolnir (Yes I know some folk reckon it sounds fully balanced!!!! comments to come...)

ALO Pan Am

Ok, Good little portable, sounds big for such a small amp. Probably the best amp for portability, but lacks the last oomph and depth in the bass. Quite silky up top, and not much outlay for a big chunk of sound. It was just left a little for dead next to the other amps.. but $599 AUD for a amp dac of this quality is great value. The bass was left a little wanting on "Cosmogeny" in particular.

Schiit Lyr

Not as bad as I expected, compared to what other folk have said around here. Sure it is a little thick in the mids, but I don't think it's THAT much of a travesty. It was quite enjoyable, and the soundstage was a little wider then the Pan Am. It's a little gritty up top next to the Pan Am. Overall I'd have the Lyr over the Pan Am. $604 AUD

Woo WA6 (w/Sophia)

Considering the power deficit next to the others, this wasn't as bad I expected. Mind you, Im a valve guy. A bit bloomy in the bass, but the mids and treble were lovely. Certainly the best of the bunch except for the Soloist in this regard. If it had that control in the bass, I would have been sold! Miles Davis was just fantastic in this regard. I love a bit of warmth. $800 AUD

Woo WA7

A lot of people here have talked this up, and to be honest, I thought it was OK. It was nice and spacious, but it felt unmoored, like it was missing a few hertz down below. It was like the body of the music was missing. I did not feel emotionally effected by the music. This was evident on Miles Davis and Explosions In The Sky. A bit ho hum for me.

Burson Soloist and Mjolnir

My judgement is a little reserved on the Mjolnir, as most of you will jump on me for not listening to it fully balanced. Fair play.  However, I was thinking partly from a price point. the Mjolnir is just on $1000, and the Soloist is just on $900. If you were to add the Gungir DAC, the price of the system jumps to $2000, and a decent DAC added to the Soloist brings that system up to $1400, like the Bifrost. So I felt it was an even match price wise to compare them using the single ended configuration. In fact, I'm still tossing up in my head which is better...

The Soloist I think gets a lot right. Vocals were fantastic, a bit more upfront then the Mjolnir, and I could hear more deliberate grit in the vocals with the Dropkick Murphys which sounded more exciting. The Mjolnir was a little more recessed here. The Mjolnir has a bigger soundstage, in width, but I reckon the Soloist has more depth, but narrower. Its a bit plusher sounding. The Mjolnir is also brighter. Annoyingly so? well, I have to listen to over a longer session. The Soloist also was better on the mid gain setting, had a better balanced sound and sounded less aggressive, less fatiguing. Something that people haven't really mentioned is that the Soloist is WAY more pratical. It has 3 inputs, three gain settings and a pre-out. With the Mjolnir, it takes more commitment. One input and balanced output..only which most of you know that anyway...  I will hear the Mjolnir fully balanced, but if in the end I prefer it that way, I have to take a compromise till I can save up for a year for the Gungir DAC... I think the way I tested it, I'd nose the Soloist in front, for it's fuller sound. But I will retest when I have more time.

To be continued.. (I will try to listen to a WA6SE, (more bass control with those mids/highs) I reckon that'll be the winner for me;)) 

Edited by migasson

Mig,

Glad to hear that the LCD-X suited your taste.  I was at A2A yesterday, had a listen to the Audeze range and surprisingly I ended up with the LCD2.3(vegan)..even though i'm far from being an actual vegan ;).  My ears got warm and I felt uncomfortable after an hour with the leather pads.

I thought for my taste, the LCD-2 provided me with best balanced sound vs price across the Audeze range.  The LCD-3 was noticably better, but not at 2x the price of the LCD2.3.  It was a tough call between the LCD2.3 vs the LCD-X.  If I could stretch the funding out without incurring the wrath of the better half, LCD-X would have been my choice.  But knowing that the head-fi rig will be used as a backup for night listening sessions, the LCD2.3 fitted right into bill.  I'd have to say though, my initial impression of the stock cable was pretty - 'meh' at the store.  But after having a listen last night in my rig, i'd have to say that the overall tonal balance is quite good for stock.  The LCD-2's with the 2A3 DHTs are a match made in heaven!

Mig, as a valve guy, you need to listen it with some really good DHT tubes.  The stock tubes Woo was average at the least.  I told A2A they need to get some good NOS or mesh plates..takes these phones to another level.

• Like 1

Nice! had the LCD 2.2's.. a regretful letting go, I can tell you!!!

But yeah, I know what you mean by good DHT tubes.. I'm trying NOT to imagine a WA5 with some NOS Western Electric 300b's:)..

I'm seriously thinking of reading up on some valve amplifier books and building some of my own. Dust of the old electronic engineering knowledge I did at TAFE many moons ago!! Maybe a pair of 300b monoblocks with stepped attenuators with XLR outs:)

Great to hear that you've got a pair of Audeze's. Personally, if you like the sonic signature, nothing else will do!!

Regards