The Story of the Audio Cap

Cafad

I was going to throw this in with the DAC GTG thread but then I realized I had a slightly longer story to tell so, what the hey, here it is in it's own thread.

Back at the GTG at the Vikings Leagues Club on the Gold Coast, that Damo, Adamg and myself threw together in late 2012 with more enthusiasm than anything else, I handed out caps to the 6 of us (I think it was 6) that assisted in the organizing.  I had them printed because, like I just said, I had more enthusiasm than anything else and it seemed like a cool idea to have a little keepsake of an event that worked out because everyone was just so stoked to be a part of it.  

post-130663-0-16674000-1391657165_thumb.

Cap number one.

For the amp GTG at Mikes the following February (when I picked up my S2Rs  :love ) I went a bit overboard and had a few caps, coffee mugs and T-Shirts printed (I think it was 6 caps and 3 each of mugs and shirts).  Again enthusiasm reigned supreme and it was only afterwards that I realized that some people might not see it in the same light as I did.  Fortuneately, everyone present, Mike included, thought they were a good laugh.  I really wanted to get a pic of Bill wearing the T-shirt and cap with the mug in hand, just so I could pin it up on SNA, but it didn't happen (I'll just have to try harder next time I guess).  I saw the mug, still present in the kitchen at Mikes factory, about 10 months later, I think that confirms that it is a decent quality product.  I also sent a left over T-shirt and cap to AJ, as a thank you for lending me his Hypex Ncore amps for a couple of months longer than he or I initially intended.  

post-130663-0-86256400-1391657329_thumb.                              post-130663-0-75952700-1391657518_thumb.                 post-130663-0-99332600-1391657740_thumb.

The Cap.                                                                                 The Mug.                                                        The Shirt (in its natural, unironed, state).

I didn't have anything printed for the late 2013 amp GTG, finances were tight after all and it just sort of slipped my mind, a bit of a shame that, it broke continuity, but these things happen.  However, back on track, the DAC GTG is coming up and I wanted to get a cap printed that could be awarded (with appropriate fanfare, naturally) to the winner of a blind test.

So how fancy could I get?  If anyone actually succeeds in a blind test then they should get something appropriate, something that tells everyone who sees them wearing it that that perosn has superior hearing power to all around.  So I was looking for a cap (or hat) which accentuated the wearers ears (it seemed reasonable at the time!).  After a quick ebay search I then did a slower ebay search and narrowed down the 30,000 odd choices to 8 that I felt were more inspiring than average.

post-130663-0-12738600-1391658211_thumb.                                                post-130663-0-62346000-1391658465_thumb.

Teddy bears, universally adored.                                                  Mans best friend, everyone loves dogs.

post-130663-0-66953200-1391658475_thumb.                                              post-130663-0-74512600-1391658551_thumb.

Dragons, very popular in film at the moment.                                Elephants are cool, less so than dragons but still worth a vote.

post-130663-0-63910300-1391658697_thumb.                                                          post-130663-0-20236500-1391658736_thumb.

Modern day Danielle Boon.                                                           A little risque perhaps, but on topic.

post-130663-0-48699000-1391658789_thumb.                                          post-130663-0-24748600-1391658842_thumb.

Wow!  Identical twin leapards, now that is inspirational!                And last but not least, everyone loves Pandas. 

So, with so much inspirational material on hand, I went to work.  And I'll continue to, I think, print out a cap or two for each GTG (hopefully I'll be able to attend most of them) just for the hell of it.  This is why I was urging Marc to get a SNA cap design sorted out, can you imagine the sight of 30 or 40 of us wearing SNA caps wondering about the next Melbourne Audio Show?  Even just supplying an SNA stencil for the front of the cap, then you could put your SNA user name and avatar on the back, so many posibilities.  

Caps are the way of the future guys, they may even set us free! (from cancer of the forehead at any rate)

What's that?  You want to see the DAC Champion cap?  Sorry, that information is restricted to creators, vendor owners and competition administrators only.  You'll just have to go to the GTG and try to catch a glimpse of it with everyone else.

Cheers Guys!

Cafad.

• Like 4

Nice story, but I thought I was going to learn why Jantzen is superior to Jamicon!

Ah yes, perfectly reasonably level of confusion there.  While Jantzen caps are rated as "6800uF at 63V" (just for instance), Vistaprint caps are more of a "one size fits all" sort of cap.

Ah yes, perfectly reasonably level of confusion there.  While Jantzen caps are rated as "6800uF at 63V" (just for instance), Vistaprint caps are more of a "one size fits all" sort of cap.

I've got one of those caps Cafad!!  A limited edition of six...I feel special...it came from Mike.

I've got one of those caps Cafad!!  A limited edition of six...I feel special...it came from Mike.

His loss is your gain, hold on to it mate, in just a few short years you may be able to auction it off for twice its cost price, maybe more.  Maybe even the price of a carton!  

I'm assuming you would be happy drinking mid-strength local product of course, inports would probably still be out of your reach.  The winner of the DAC Champion cap though, he could choose whichever bottle of cheap, Polish Vodka took his fancy!

• Like 1

His loss is your gain, hold on to it mate, in just a few short years you may be able to auction it off for twice its cost price, maybe more.  Maybe even the price of a carton!  

I'm assuming you would be happy drinking mid-strength local product of course, inports would probably still be out of your reach.  The winner of the DAC Champion cap though, he could choose whichever bottle of cheap, Polish Vodka took his fancy!

That's what I was thinking!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The one labelled "a little risqué" cap comes with her? If it does can I place an order for 4 please!

Sorry mate, she's not for sale through SNA, I'm afraid Marc's fine print just doesn't allow for it, you'll have to head over to ebay to get your risque fix for the week.

The caps arrived on Friday and I must say I'm disappointed in the print.  I ordered the wheat colour and the pics just don't come out as well on a background that isn't white.  I may have to order another couple in white (it just isn't a good cap if you can't read what is printed on the circuitry in the pictures).