Marten Speakers

Yea - that's Steve Nugent.

Having exchanged emails with the guy he believes detail is where its all at, which leads to a certain type of sound that may not appeal to everyone.

Thanks

Bill

Yes Bill his products seem to elicit an overly etched soundings which can deliver that Digital Bite that annoys the crap outa me-well for extended listening anyway--not my cuppa

And believe me I've tried to get the gist of his presentations at numerous shows--misses the cigar in my book

YVMV

Willco

Sorry for the digress--back to the Martens

Edited by Willco

Sorry stereodave.  I know your trying to help with that post but believe me, through personal experience I know that would likely be the wrong road to take.

But that's a long story and one for another forum.

Apologies for I digress

Snake

Sorry stereodave.  I know your trying to help with that post but believe me, through personal experience I know that would likely be the wrong road to take.

But that's a long story and one for another forum.

Apologies for I digress

Snake

Perhaps you could PM me about that, mate?

I purchased a clamp for my Gyrodec in mid 2011 from Jeff Knox. Jeff invited me to listen to his Marten speaker based system, very impressive but well beyond my budget. I can't see that you would have anything to lose by having a listen.

Hi MuscOne,

Yes as Jcjuice mentioned, I own a pair of Marten Bird 2's. Personally they will be my end game speaker (by end game I mean until the kids leave home ). I didn't think I would end up with Martens as I had listened extensively to the original Bird and didn't find it to my liking despite all it's magic qualities. Turns out the Bird 2 is "much", "quite" "significantly" to my ears improved, so much so I was hooked. There are many great speakers out there at the price: estelons (which i liked slightly more to the birds but the wife vetoed for their looks) raidho, Avalon, Magico (which I had my heart set on but just couldn't fall in love with), etc etc. my other favs in the Marten line for different reasons are the Duke 2's and the Django l's.

I use Vitus ss101mk2's for amplification, which I find a great match. One day I will get around to a showcase thread. If I can help with any questions let me know (via this thread or pm).

James

• Like 4

Hi MuscOne,

Yes as Jcjuice mentioned, I own a pair of Marten Bird 2's. Personally they will be my end game speaker (by end game I mean until the kids leave home ). I didn't think I would end up with Martens as I had listened extensively to the original Bird and didn't find it to my liking despite all it's magic qualities. Turns out the Bird 2 is "much", "quite" "significantly" to my ears improved, so much so I was hooked. There are many great speakers out there at the price: estelons (which i liked slightly more to the birds but the wife vetoed for their looks) raidho, Avalon, Magico (which I had my heart set on but just couldn't fall in love with), etc etc. my other favs in the Marten line for different reasons are the Duke 2's and the Django l's.

I use Vitus ss101mk2's for amplification, which I find a great match. One day I will get around to a showcase thread. If I can help with any questions let me know (via this thread or pm).

James

Hi James, great to hear you've found the perfect speaker for your system/tastes. The Vitus SS101Mk2 is a great amp. Big congrats! :thumb: I own a Vitus SIA-025 integrated & agree Vitus has great synergy with Marten and Magico. Speaking of Magico, I was curious to ask which Magico speakers you listened to in your auditioning process? The reason I ask is i've heard the Bird 2's, Q3's & S5's and ended up preferring the S5's which are my current speakers. I was never really happy with the Bird 2's bass, and having previously owned Coltranes; couldn't really warm to the Birds. I know Victor went through the same process (ie: comparing Magico, Avalon & Marten) and ended up with the Bird 2's. We all hear things differently & the Q3's & S5's do need a larger room size than the Birds, so I guess it's horses for courses :).

Cheers,

Bodhi

Edited by Bodhi
  • Like 1

Hey Bodhi, I'll get to your questions with a proper response in due course. I just want to say for MusicOne's benefit that I agree with you regarding tubes & martens. I know the USA rep pushes EAR- mighty fine- but I believe speakers like the Bird 2's & up deserve better. In my experience tubes are less essential for the Bird 2's than the originals- both use accuton drivers so I can't say why technically.

I would love to experiment with a high quality tube pre amp down the track. My digital player is an AMR cd 77.1 which has a tube output stage and I find is enough to balance nicely.

Hi James, I agree with you regarding EAR. I don't doubt Tim De Paravacinni is a legend with tubes, but his designs are kind of "weird" and have been known to be unreliable in the past. I'm no longer a fan of tubes & now prefer Vitus, especially for synergy with Magico (or Marten for that matter). I personally wouldn't recommend using a tube preamp with your SS-101MK2. Vitus always sounds best with Vitus. There is no harm in trying different options, but I would definitely audition a Vitus pre before handing over my

money.

Cheers,

Bodhi

Edited by Bodhi

Hi James, I agree with you regarding EAR. I don't doubt Tim De Paravacinni is a legend with tubes, but his designs are kind of "weird" and have been known to be unreliable in the past. I'm no longer a fan of tubes & now prefer Vitus, especially for synergy with Magico (or Marten for that matter). I personally wouldn't recommend using a tube preamp with your SS-101MK2. Vitus always sounds best with Vitus. There is no harm in trying different options, but I would definitely audition a Vitus pre before handing over my

money.

Cheers,

Bodhi

Hey Bodhi, I'll get to your questions with a proper response in due course. I just want to say for MusicOne's benefit that I agree with you regarding tubes & martens. I know the USA rep pushes EAR- mighty fine- but I believe speakers like the Bird 2's & up deserve better. In my experience tubes are less essential for the Bird 2's than the originals- both use accuton drivers so I can't say why technically.

I would love to experiment with a high quality tube pre amp down the track. My digital player is an AMR cd 77.1 which has a tube output stage and I find is enough to balance nicely.

Thanks guys. I was thinking of a speaker to go up against the B&W 800D....not sure about Marten's pricing, but I'd be looking at a speaker up to $30K...as I have to buy new amplification as well, costs could get out of hand very easily. 

• Like 1

Yep the latest speakers from TAD are also awesome. I do believe that even the compact reference one is significantly more than 30k new. As nice as the 800d is, no matter that Bodhi, Juicester and myself are on different sides of the tree, we would mostly agree that the latest from Magico, Tad and Marten are better then the 800D's (not knocking them) albeit for different reasons. I'm sure there are those who prefer the 800D as well.

Depending on your budget, if you went down the Magico/Marten path, Bodhi's SIA025 would be very hard to top for amplification.

• Like 3

Yep the latest speakers from TAD are also awesome. I do believe that even the compact reference one is significantly more than 30k new. As nice as the 800d is, no matter that Bodhi, Juicester and myself are on different sides of the tree, we would mostly agree that the latest from Magico, Tad and Marten are better then the 800D's (not knocking them) albeit for different reasons. I'm sure there are those who prefer the 800D as well.

Depending on your budget, if you went down the Magico/Marten path, Bodhi's SIA025 would be very hard to top for amplification.

Thanks James....I've yet to find a dealer in Sydney for Marten, so I can audition....it seems I'll have to go to Melbourne. I downloaded the specs on TAD speakers and I'll peruse them when I get a chance....they do look impressive. 

Thanks James....I've yet to find a dealer in Sydney for Marten, so I can audition....it seems I'll have to go to Melbourne. I downloaded the specs on TAD speakers and I'll peruse them when I get a chance....they do look impressive. 

Music One, have you considered the new Magico S3's? The S3's won TAS's Best of Show at CES paired with Vitus, edging out the Vandersteen Model 7's, Tad Reference One, Wilson Alexia, YG Acoustics Hailey & Cessaro Chopin speakers. They are $22.6kUS & should be within your budget. Unless you have a large size room, the S3's should be all you need. Boris is awaiting a shipment, so it would be worth touching base with him so he can give you a heads up when the shipment is arriving. And if Boris doesn't get any S5's in, you're welcome to drop in and hear my pair :)

Edited by Bodhi
  • Like 1

If you do come to Melbourne you should consider coming over to hear the PMC MB2se's. They should just fit under your $30k spend limit.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thread zombie. Just worth putting it out there that I joined the Marten club some time ago by picking up some Miles 3 for a steal . A lot of people in the thread have mentioned vitus and gryphon etc. I'm surprised tubes haven't rated a mention.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Marten's ceramic drivers are an ideal match for tubed amplification and I would echo this statement. I'm currently running an Audio Research Ref110 (I know - it's not in the big boys league) and am very impressed with the sound. No doubt my system will take a big leap forward when I can afford a matching Audio Research Preamplifier; but still very much think the synergy is there.

• 7 years later...